First Review by dietrich

Fabulous Japanese Food - Edit

Popped in here for a very very late lunch at around 5pm one October evening in 2008 on holiday in Munich. An extremely friendly place, well laid out and typically Japanese. The food was excellent, we had tofu and avocado burgers and miso soup. All very tasty and perfect for that time of day. As we were leaving lots of evening diners arrived and it looked as if they were regulars, proving it to be a very popular local restaurant. The owner was pleased we had come over from the UK and was glad to hear about Happy Cow. On a second visit one early Tuesday evening late in October 2011, we had the avocado burger and seitan burger, both being excellent served with a bottle of organic beer. Once again, the place seemed to really pick up at around 7pm. The 3rd visit in October 2012 was a much anticipated evening dining experience which was simply fantastic. We had home made spring rolls, tofu in miso and chilli sauce and grilled tofu cutlets served with vegetables, rice and fries. Doesn't sound great, but it was absolutely delicious and washed down with some organice wine and beer. I love this place so much and hope to be back again.

Pros: food, staff, lighting

Great Place - Edit

By accident I found this restaurant and from the first time I was impressed. Why? Read on...

- The food quality is outstanding (organic and fresh).
- The menu card is in my opinion great.
- The desserts are simply wow!
- The owners are very nice.
- The prices are low
(compared with the average level in Munich).

Well, there is only one thing to consider - the furniture is clean and simple. So, if you want to have a romantic dinner with someone who does not value excellent vegan food, this might not be the perfect place for you.

For me it is a great restaurant and I always like to come back.

Enjoy!

Pros: excellent food, excellent value, friendly staff

3 Responses

Great place to be - Edit

This little japanese vegan restaurant is one of the best places to be. Very friendly, everything is made just after ordering so that it is fresh, nice location and delicious food.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, great atmosphere

Cons: nothing

Bright but quiet Star in a meat and dumpling town - Edit

I was very glad to find this in my pre-Happy Cow time. Luckily my iPhone guided me there when I typed in the word vegan and so I changes my mind to visit the Prinz Myshkin Restaurant and to favour the Kaede! Since I have money to spare especially for food - now that I finally discovered that my body is a temple - I was very glad to find that japanese tidiness and inner peace is a big advantage of the Kaede. I arrived around 3 p.m. and was the only guest and enjoyed the silence and the quiet reservedness of the owner who served me himself. I first had a vegetable soup a broth with accurately cut veggies which was simply delicious and then opted for the fried tofu with mixed vegetables which was a pleasure to look at and to eat. I would have liked to have taken away the organic whole rice sushi for later that evening but the austere man said that he only prepares it fresh in the evenings. I guess I will have to come back for it next time. I left the Kaede a better person, I think, at east for that day.

Pros: quiet place, delicious food, japanese style food

Cons: pricey

Tasty organic japanese food - Edit

This is my favourite place in Munich! The very friendly owner serves entirely vegan, certified organic, authentic japanese food at moderate prices. Moreover, you get real beer and real wine here. I also like the unobtrusive relaxing music as well as the bright furnishing and the wall decoration.

The only downsides I see that portions could sometimes be a little larger, and I find it located a bit off the centre. Due to this, I have never seen the Kaede overcrowded. Nonetheless I think this place can make many more hungry vegans - and not only vegans - happy. Check it out!

Pros: Organic, tasty, good value

Cons: A little off the centre

Fabulous vegan food - Edit

I didn't expect to find vegan restaurant in Munich while I'm here for biz trip. I was sooooo happy to find it and I've been here two times because the food is really great.

During these two visits, I had avocado salad, soy meat burger, fried dumplings, avocado rolls, miso soup, chocolate cake, chocolate pie, and green tea. (I ate a lot!)

Everything is so great! I am really grateful to the the owner of Kaede, thank you so much for offering such good vegan food. ^_^

Wish your business is getting better and better. Hope more and more people become vegan! ^_^

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, good value

eh, bring - Edit

We had tempura vegetables, avocado salad, soy meat burger, and croquet burger.

The salad and the tempura vegetables were delicious but the burgers were seriously lacking.

I tried to order soy meat burger with avocado, but the waiter could not understand English or German (my boyfriend is from Germany and speaks fluent) so I was given slices of soy meat and a burger bun with avocado and charged 5Euro for each which made my veggie burger over 10Euro!

Dessert was really good, the chocolate tart thing was fabulous and I loved the icecream but sweets were not enough to make up for my hungry tummy.

Portions were very small and our meal ended up being 43Euro! Next time we're home, we will NOT be returning to Kaede.

Pros: fresh salads, open seating, English menu

Cons: small portions, cash/euro card only, language barrier

Vegan food - including cakes! - Edit

Although the nice guy that runs it is Japanese, and there are Japanese dishes on the menu, it's very Westerner-friendly and there are also non-Japanese dishes like burgers.

I had some more-ish gyozi (dumplings), and then a veg stirfry. OH and I then shared two very good and substantial slices of tofu-cheesecake style cakes, one with rhubarb and one with chocolate and strawberries if I remember correctly. These were welcome as some of the other veggie restaurants we'd been to weren't so hot on vegan desserts.

All in all it was a good meal and I'd be happy to go back.

Pros: Vegan, Cakes!, Organic ingredients

Fantastic vegan food! - Edit

I would eat here weekly if I lived in Munich! A great place with a solid menu of Japanese vegan dishes. I recommend the Buckwheat noodles in veggies, I drank every drop of broth! Also, don't miss the dessert, we had a mixed berry & chocolate cake that was AMAZING! The chef is a great guy!

Pros: vegan, cake!, open on Monday

The best! - Edit

I live in Munich and I go regularly to Kaede. For me it is the best vegetarian restaurant in Munich. The dishes are delicious and well balanced - cooked by the owner himself, who is really an master of vegetarian cooking. All the ingredients are organic.

Return to Munich Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Kaede closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 425 times since Aug 2007.