Jyoti's Vegetarian

• Vegetarian
Contact 0121-7785501

1045 Stratford Road, Birmingham, England, B28 8AS

Joyti vegetarian restaurant together with Sweet Centre and Takeaway. Not licensed. Note that nut is used in some dishes.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by Foxtrot

Great food - Edit

We ate rajma, steamed rice, chapathi and gobi, tomato and peas curry with papadum. Food was great, but curries and papadum was slightly more salty. The curries were hot for mild. We also had raspberry and vanilla Swedish glaze icecream.

Take note that then same oil is used when deep frying vegan and non vegan food. We avoided deep fried foods. Confirm with waiter.

Just before leaving we were given Elizabeth Shaw chocolate biscuits which we were told were Vegan. We checked online and they say it is not suitable for Vegans

Pros: Vegan options, Tasty food

Cons: Slightly salty , Mild curry was quite hot, Serves Dairy

top bit of nosh - Edit

Of all the Indian restaurants I've eaten in in Birmingham, this rates right up there. It's a really friendly place with outdoor parking, so it's got good points before you even sit and eat. The staff are right up on what's vegan and not and happy to talk you through it. The food is great and at a reasonable cost. The tastes are rich and full and there is enough variety to keep you interested. All in all, I'd highly rate eating here. It's the kind of place I'll always take out of town friends.

Pros: very friendly and approachable staff, top food with plenty of choice, very vegan friendly

Jyotis Indian - Edit

I love it here!

The food is amazing, you get a lot for your money and there's always something new to try!

I'd eat here way more often if I lived closer, but the 30 minute drive is always worth it. There's nearly always parking outside and a nice atmosphere inside. Many Vegan options, you're spoilt for choice here.

Recommend the aloo with puri, chana masala with roti and fried rice and the samosas!

Davey.

Pros: Great value, Healthy and delicious food, Helpful staff if you're stuck for choice

Cons: Quite far from anything else, Not 100% Vegan

Disappointing Dosa - Edit

Jyotis served the worst masala dosa we've had anywhere. Firstly it is half the size of a real dosa. Secondly, the dough had a strong sour taste. Next, the filling lacked flavour; missing the characteristic blend of spices for a masala dosa. Finally the samba soup which frankly tasted rancid. A bad experience. Other people seem to like the place and return there. Maybe there are better dishes on the menu, but we won't be returning in a hurry. We've eaten dosas in Tooting, all over India, and in Uganda, and while they always vary, Jyotis serves a very poor example, neither looks like nor tastes like a dosa.

Pros: Non-meat menu

Cons: Bad taste, Small size, overpriced

A good Birmingham curry experience - Edit

A decent place for curry fans - easily accessible on a main bus route not far from the city centre, has a quiet and friendly atmosphere, and very happy to cater for vegans. Doesn't really do anything spectacularly different or better to most curry houses in Brum, but the fact that it's specifically vegetarian is nice enough in itself, and should be supported.

Lots of choice for vegans - Edit

Lots of choice for vegans, as mentioned in a previous review they label the items which are not suitable for vegans, and some of those can be made vegan on request. I had the special dosa which is labelled as not vegan but apparently that's only because they normally serve it with yoghurt, so it's worth asking.

The starters were brilliant, different to the standard stuff you seem to get in a lot of Indian restaurants. The main dishes we had were reasonable (dosa and thali) but not the best food I've ever had, although I've only eaten there once so there may be other dishes which are nicer.

There's nothing really separating the shop part at the front and the restaurant at the back, so it's somewhere I'd choose to go with a group of friends or family rather than for a quiet, romantic dinner.

Pros: loads of choice for vegans, excellent starters

Cons: bit noisy

So much choice! - Edit

My vegan boyfriend & I discovered this place a couple of weeks ago & have already been back! The choice is fantastic for vegans (items on the menu are marked if they're NOT suitable for vegans - how refreshing!) & the food is delicious! Make room for the starters as they are delicious, although everything we've tried has been great! The service is patchy - they were really friendly once & quite unfriendly once - but with food & prices like that we didn't mind too much. It's also BYO. Highly recommended. It's been very busy on both occasions so I'd recommend booking a table.

Pros: Great vegan food, Very good prices & BYO

Cons: Patchy service

Superb Indian food - Edit

We went to Jyoti's last week, and had a most wonderful experience. The service was attentive and very informative, but unobtrusive. The fresh smoothies are lovely (lots of choice and very good value for money). There is an amazing array of food offered, and it is all lovingly prepared and tastes fantastic. Unlike most Indian restaurants, the plates are not swimming with oil. We had the set meals as we wanted to try something different, and because there was so much choice we couldn't decide what to go for! We were very pleased. My son described the food as the best meal he had ever had! Family friendly. Booking advised. Leave room for their home-made sweets, and don't forget to buy some to take home!

Pros: Fresh, Value for money, Parking

Cons: Had to leave at the end!, Too far from Norwich!

Great find! - Edit

This newly reopened restaurant at 1045 Stratford Road is brilliant. Smarter than your average vegetarian restaurant. Great selection of 100% vegetarian South Indian dishes. Also lovely smoothies at a reasonable price. We had to buy a box of the sweets to take away - the barfi is to die for! Takeaway snacks also available. We visited on a Saturday night and it was full - so booking is recommended. Please note that the address at 569-571 Stratford Road has closed.

Pros: smart and friendly staff, good selection of dishes, lovely sweets

Long Term Customer - Edit

Fortunately, I don't suffer from a nut allergy but sympathise with the other reviewer. I've been a customer of Jyoti for about five years and have just spent two months eating there on a weekly basis. Still family run the food is beautifully cooked with no microwave re-heats. Presented simply in true Indian fasion with no garnish. Excellent. Good portion sizes, plenty of choice and even the deep fried food is just about oil free! And still superb value. I took a friend and we ate extremely well for £24.

Pros: Superb food/value., Almost no oil., Take your own alcohol.

Cons: Distance from city.

Return to Birmingham Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jyoti's Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3982 times since Aug 2007.