Jyoti

• Veg-friendly
Contact 011-233-3999

Minami 2 West, 4-4 1st floor, Chuo-ku (at /in Nakamise), Sapporo, Japan,

Serves meat, vegan options available. While there are the typical meat dishes, the waitstaff speak English and will identify which dishes can be modified for vegans. Kitchen will provide alternatives in set courses (e.g. papadums instead of dairy based dessert). Heaters and some blankets provided in winter.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Samoth

Good Taste / Small Portions - Edit

My husband and I went here for dinner and selected four dishes á la carte, along with two garlic naans and a mid-size portion of rice.

The dishes (veg curry, aloo palak among them) were good taste-wise (and good in quality), but portion size a bit small. We really needed the two dishes each (plus naan/rice) and we weren't starving.

Service was friendly, and the complimentary yoghurt with mango pulp a very nice gesture. I didn't think it was overly expensive, and it seems like you can get some good meal deals.

I wouldn't recommend per se, but don't regret going.

Pros: locations, friendly staff

Cons: not cheap, small portions

Great service and nice food! - Edit

We visited Jyoti today, because it is near our hotel and we read about it on Happy Cow. The staff was really helpful, english-speaking and friendly. They asked if we were vegans and although we said that we are only vegetarians they checked if some ingredients (e.g. eggs) were ok for us. You can choose how spicy you want the food to be, the waiter pointed out, that "mild" in Japan means a little sweet, so I choose the medium curry, which was great. We also got a free dessert.
In contrary to some other reviews, I don´t think it was expensive. We paid 2800¥ for two Curries, rice, nan and two mango juice - I often paid more for worse food.

I would give five cows, but for non-vegetarian restaurants only four are possible :).

Pros: Service, tasty food, great location

No longer the must-visit it was - Edit

I wrote an excellent review for Jyoti a year ago, when was one of the few places in Sapporo (on Happycow) one could find a trustworthy vegan meal. But this time I was quite disappointed. Only one dish (dahl) could be made vegan (or at least the owner only suggested one), and since the set meal came with Naan (and it didn't seem to be possible to change it) a reasonable dahl, a Lacha Paratha (bread), two samosas (with ketchup) and 'Spicy Potatoes' (basically a potato curry, made from about one potato) came to ~2000 Yen. The staff clearly understand veganism, and for Japan it's not a bad deal - in many parts of Japan a meal like this is a life-saver - but with so many new vegan restaurants on the scene and such a limited vegan range here now it's just not the must-visit it used to be. I'd strongly recommend making the effort to go and find the new vegan places, and giving them your custom instead. It was also very cold in the restaurant, unless you're lucky enough to get a table by the heater.

Pros: central location, staff understand veganism

Cons: limited vegan range, no vegan set so expensive for a meal

Great place for vegans in Sapporo. - Edit

Jyoti serves traditional Indian food, with various vegetarian dishes. The people at Jyoti are well aware about veganism and can veganize the vegetarian dishes.

After we ate our main courses the restaurant served us free dessert (yoghurt), the waitress remembered that I was vegan and served a vegan option instead.
Although people write that the food is expensive, I don´t think so. The service is very good, and it´s safe for vegans to enjoy the meal. This is a good restaurant to bring non-vegans as well. I will go back soon.

Pros: Good service, Vegan food!, Price

Cons: Unconfortable chairs, Cold by the window (in winter time)

a good indian restaurant - Edit

We went there on the evening and had the vegetable curry set: 1500 yen for 2 curries, a large nan, one soft drink, a small appetizer (salad and samossa) and a small dessert. It is not very cheap but worth the price.

Pros: good food, pleasant atmosphere

Cons: rice has to be ordered as extra

Return to Sapporo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jyoti closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1541 times since Mar 2012.