CLOSED: Junk Food Cafe

Contact 0603928437

Anenska 4, Brno, Czech Republic,

Cafe turned vegan and moved here from Hybesova 28 in 2014. Offers burgers, pizza, and sweets; bottom-less coffee mug, soy milk option for drinks. The bar offers czech beer, cider, and shots. Hosts live concerts and quizzes. CLOSED AS OF DEC 2016 - LET HAPPYCOW KNOW IF / WHEN IT REOPENS.

Category: Vegan, Vegan-friendly, American, Pizza, Italian, Fast food, Bakery

First Review by JoyS

Yumm! - Edit

Went there with a friend while staying in Brno for just a one day. She had panini and I've ordered Waltz burger. I've never had such a great burger in my life! The cafe itself is really cozy and pretty, also easy to find. Can only recommend! :)

Pros: great food, located right in the city centre, nice atmosphere

Very good! - Edit

Big delicious portions for low prices.
I ordered the vegan panini which was amazing along with cold coffee, yum!
My omnivore boyfriend ordered the tempeh burger (which was one of the best I have ever tasted) and a hotdog which he enjoyed but was too spicy for my taste.
The waitresses was super nice and we didn't have to wait for our dished for a long time.
We definetly enjoyed our lunch there!

Pros: Delicious big portions, Good service, Very low prices

Cons: Locetion

Great Place for All Junkies - Edit

Eh... I was just joking.
But really, whether you're into junk food in general, or into plant-based cuisine, or an ethical vegan respecting nonhuman animals, then this junk-food sanctuary of the same name is a good spot for you. So far we always sat outside, it's a quiet street.
The location is OK as you can easily walk from the station or the city center.
The staff was very nice to us and the pricing is reasonable, you pay 125Kc for one burger menu, and 50Kc for a hotdog.
We had more than one of course, paying them multiple visits! Unfortunately in the time when it was most acute for my junkfood cravings, they ran out of hot dogs, hehe.
The broccoli burger I had was very tasty, flavourful, just spot on. Their bread buns are homemade and have a pleasant texture I recommend compensating the junkfood (which, in case of JFC, is not really junk food because most of the patties are loaded with phytonutrients) with a powdered green tea latte (matcha). It's fabulous and has great antioxidant content!

Overall

Pros: excellent food indeed!, friendly staff indeed!, nice vibe indeed!

Cons: I'm not good at finding cons but I have to write

Must-go restaurant! - Edit

Big, delicious portions for reasonable prices.
We dropped in to have a lunch after a very long walk around the city and were welcomed by a friendly staff and generous portions of amazing burgers.
As.it was a really hot day, we really appreciated an option to enjoy our meals outside.
This is definitely one of must-go vegan places in Brno!

Pros: Delicious food, Price, Variety of food

Simple, tasty vegan food - Edit

Junk Food Cafe is really great if you want a generous portion of simple, honest food! The burgers are amazing and really satisfying after a long day walking round the city.

It was a beautiful day, so it was really nice to be able to sit outside. The staff were also very friendly and made sure we had a good meal.

Highly recommended if you find yourself in Brno!

Pros: Generous portion sizes, Amazing burgers, Friendly staff

Great meals, good prices - Edit

JFC offers cheap daily lunch menus and in addition to that standard menu containing burgers, pizzas and variety of other meals. They use basic ingredients a lot (whole vegetables, almost nothing processed) which makes the cuisine quite simple but usually also imaginative and tasteful. Definitely a place to go.

Pros: Daily menus, Great value

Big, delicious food! - Edit

Junk Food Cafe is now all vegan and it has a great selection of burgers along with a few more general menu items (mushroom risotto, deep-fried cauliflower, etc). The new vegan menu is not available in English, so you have to cross reference a little with the old vegetarian English menu, but it's easy to manage and the staff are really helpful.

We ordered the onion rings for a starter, and got a huge portion - they were delicious, the batter was just perfect. I had the tempeh burger, which was really tasty and satisfying (English speakers note that the Czech word for 'cucumber' is the same as that for 'gherkin' - this burger comes with gherkins!). My partner had the broccoli burger and said it was really good too, a good vegetable-based patty. Both burgers were accompanied by the biggest portion of French fries I have ever seen! Somehow we managed to eat it all though, it was all delicious. We didn't have room for cake, but the milkshakes were tasty too.

Pros: Great choice of burgers, Friendly staff, Portion sizes

Great place - Edit

I went here for dinner after several days of not eating anything but potatoes and bread which was the vegan food offered at the conference I was attending! I ordered the tempeh burger and croquettes it was yummy and huge. There is a small non smoking section, and a bit of outdoor seating. They had a few vegan cakes which I haven't tried yet. Everything is now vegan, at this time they only had one old vegan menu in English but the staff are really helpful.

Awesome Restaurant - Edit

This is my first trip to Brno. When I got to my hotel after almost 20 hours of traveling I was starving for good food. Vegans don't really have many options in the airport in Munch where I changed planes and then in Vienna when I transferred to a coach for the last bit to get into Brno. Luckily the Junk Food Cafe is a short walk from my Hotel so I went there for dinner after checking in.

The restaurant looks like it belongs in Austin rather than the Czech Republic. There was an area that looked like they have live music some nights. The menu had a very wide selection of vegan food and its in english which is helpful for an American that speaks zero Czech. I chose the Tempeh Burger, which comes with a choice of fries or salad, and my first Czech beer. Both were incredible.

Pros: Wide selection of food choices, Great Atmosphere, Friendly Place

Cons: Can't think of any

My favorite veggie place in Brno - Edit

This restaurant is a hidden gem. It has a great selection of vegan + vegetarian pizza, burgers (tempeh is the best one), hot dogs, pancakes and other "junk food", decent coffee, and a cozy interior :) Don't miss the traditional Zon lemonades. They also post photos of the lunch menus every day on Facebook.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 17, 2014

Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 17, 2014

Pros: great lunch menus, fun events, like Christmas party in July, the best hot dog ever

Cons: sometimes not-so-great service, closed on Sundays

really good vegan restaurant - Edit

I tried only the lunch menu, was always good, sometimes big enough to pack as well. It looks nice there :) and they cook only vegan recently

Pros: awesome food, good staff, portion big enough

Return to Brno Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Junk Food Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.