Julia's Vegetarian Cuisine

• Vegetarian
Contact 831-656-9533

1180 Forest Ave Unit F, Pacific Grove, California, USA, 93950

Vegetarian restaurant on the Monterey Peninsula since 2010. Located in an older building next to other restaurants. Dinner includes salad. Family style on Sunday. Food is mostly vegan.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Pizza, International, Beer/Wine

First Review by Amy00Good

Beautiful little restaurant - Edit

The entire menu sounded absolutely delicious, it was so hard to choose! I ordered the Roasted Garlic Vegetable Entree to-go. The sautéed greens were absolutely amazing. When I picked it up, I was very pleased with the interior of the restaurant. It was rustic and minimalist. Didn't feel crowded despite its smaller size. I definitely recommend!

Pros: Clean, welcoming interior, Lots of menu options , Option to order carry-out

Great little spot! - Edit

I got take our here on a Friday because I wanted delicious food to eat by the fire in my hotel room. I picked it up about 830 pm, it was dead inside (literally no patrons), but warm and cozy. The two people working were really nice. I'm got the mushroom ravioli and it was delicious! Would definitely go back!

Wow :) - Edit

Wow, das Essen war super lecker. Wir waren sonntags dort und es gab ein fixes Menü. Die Portionen waren riesig und wir hatten Mühe alles aufzuessen. :) Lecker lecker lecker!

Pros: Preis-Leistungsverhältnis, freundliches Personal

Pleasant and intimate - Edit

Julia's is an intimate vegetarian restaurant with a wide selection. Vegans will have plentiful choices. The dining room is pleasant, with some rustic tables. There is live music on Thursday nights, which I didn't stay for. I had the dinner deal - an entree (saag - an interesting mixture), soup (red lentil) and house salad. I also had the vegan spice cake. The food was very good, service was fine.

Very Good - Edit

I really enjoyed this restaurant. The place is very small, reservations recommended, but the menu is rather large for such a small place. It is mostly vegan, with only the pizzas having dairy cheese and a couple of items containing dairy by request. The place is not cheap, but reasonable and the food is fresh and largely unprocessed. This is a must visit for this area, given there are so few options, but I would recommend this place even if it were in Chicago, NYC, or San Francisco.

Generous portions of very tasty food - Edit

I had a Caesar-inspired salad and roast vegetables with garlic sauce. Both were perfectly prepared and seasoned. The seasoning was a very nice surprise as I am used to many vegetarian restaurants serving rather bland food.

The prices are good, the portions generous and the staff are extremely friendly. What more could one want...
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 22, 2015

Updated from previous review on Saturday August 22, 2015

Pros: great seasoning, friendly staff, generous portions

Cons: may run out of tables at rush times

Great vegan food - Edit

We went on a Sunday for the family style menu. There were many courses including desert and everything was fabulous. There was a lot of food, even the omni----s were satisfied. It's listed as vegetarian but everything was vegan. It's $18 now and we'll worth it. I wish I lived closer.

Pros: Vegan, Large portions, Yummy

Colorful, charming little place, dinner only - Edit

I neglected to read that they aren't open for lunch & I was leaving the area thus didnt get to eat here, but the owner was there prepping & he was VERY nice & the place was adorable & the menu for the day looked divine, I was so sad to not get to eat there. Next time I am in northern CA I will make a point of having dinner there.

Satisfied! - Edit

They have a fixed price option where you can get soup/salad/entree/dessert for $22 or $20 if you chose between soup and salad. I ordered the full course last night and was at first underwhelmed by the soup. It was coconut/curry/mango/lentil which sounded great but really didn't have much coconut or curry flavor. Then I smelled something wonderful coming from the kitchen and they brought me out my bread which was in reality a whole pizza without the toppings - 1/2 was whole wheat and the other white - and it was topped in olive oil and garlic which accounted for the great smells!. Salad was nice but then they brought the entree which was a vegan ravioli with lots of fresh veggies and wild mushrooms (morels, etc.) It was delicious and huge. For dessert I chose a ginger/carrot cake covered with cherry soy ice cream, a chocolate sauce and fresh strawberries! Needless to say I left with a fully belly and a smile on my face. Rob, the waiter, was great, very friendly and more than willing to share info about the area.

The place has a simple, attractive ambiance and is in an old strip mall with some other interesting shops and right next to a Trader Joes.

I can definitely see this place being a weekend regular as that's when it's open and if I ate there more than that I'd get too fat!

Pros: generous portions, friendly, unpretentious, great food

Amazing Veg Food - Edit

I have traveled to many countries all over the world. I have been vegetarian for the last 15 years and so we always seek veg restaurants. Julia's IS THE BEST...! GREAT AND AMAZING VEGETARIAN FOOD. GO THERE FOR THE FOOD.... NOT the ambiance or service (which is just okay)

Pros: amazing creative delicious food, organic & fresh ingredients, even their pizza is amazing

Cons: service is so so, ambiance is so so

Best veg on the Monterey peninsula - Edit

Take locally-grown ingredients and combine them creatively -- it's a formula that delivers outstanding results for Julia's. Although their menu isn't huge, it offers a variety of choices. The night we visited, the options included faux chicken, a coconut rice curry, and cannelloni.

The restaurant has maybe a dozen tables and only one server. If you are in a hurry, it's not a good choice, but the place has got such a warm cozy ambiance that none of us minded the wait.

As others have mentioned, the prices are phenomenal for the area.

Located not far from Asilomar, it's a little off the well-worn Monterey Peninsula path, but if you're traveling to Carmel or the aquarium, probably won't take you more than 10-15 minutes to get to Julia's. It's located at the back of a strip of restaurants, and easy to miss at night, but worth the detour.

Pros: locally sourced ingredients, inexpensive, great vibe

Cons: leisurely service, a little hard to find

Delicious vegan/ vegetarian cuisine - Edit

I had know this place was around for quite some time but with their limited hours I had just never got around to visiting.
The food was amazing. I ordered the seitan (made locally by Sweet Earth in Pacific Grove) with a mushroom sauce. The chief who came out to introduce himself mentioned Chantrell mushrooms were also (harvested locally) a part of the dish. My husband had a margherita pizza, which he loved. They also provide bread and house hummus (amazing).  The waiter mentioned vegan apple pie with vegan Ice cream and we couldn't resist.  It was unbelievably good. I would definitely visit again.

Pros: Intimate , Friendly staff, Excellent food

Fabulous dinner at Julia's! - Edit

We had the Sunday family style dinner last night and were blown away by the price ($15 each)' thebquantity and quality of food and complimentary wine served. The place was full by 6 pm; there is no menu just whatever they are serving. All vegan except if you want cheese optional. Sunday is the only night like this. We had a big salad and garlic flat bread with a tomato salsa topping and heirloom tomatoes (very light dressing with not too much oil); entree of 4 large enchiladas (some soy cheese inside but mostly veggies) atop a yellow rice; fresh fruit and then cherry soy ice cream with more fruit on top. We will definitely return here!

Pros: Healthy and tasty, Nice ambiance, Friendly proprietor

Cons: Limited private tables

A+ - Edit

First off, the service was excellent. The best we've had since we've been in Monterey. We accidentally showed up nearly 20 minutes before opening, and we were still seated & immediately served water and wine. We even were served our appetizers early! They didn't have to be so accommodating, we were prepared to have to go wait in the car or walk around until opening time.
Secondly, the food was incredible. An appetizer, salad, entree & dessert, each dish better than the last! All of this, including the wine, for only $12 a person. Most places around here would charge way, way more than that.
I can definitely see this becoming a weekend ritual for us.

I want to LOVE it - Edit

My husband (he's omni, I'm veg, leaning toward vegan) and I gave Julia's a try after some vegan friends gave it the thumbs up. Given the lack of veg options in the area, I was very excited to give Julia's a try. The service was fine, though a bit scattered, but I found the food underwhelming. I will say my pizza was something I'd order again... but the rest? Probably not. The salad was wasn't noteworthy, and my husband's potenta dish lacked flavor. A couple of courses each, plus wine, tax and tip had us out the door for around $65. I would normally call that a good deal... except I felt like I could have made all of it at home, and more to our liking. I will give them another shot, because I really want them to make it, and I want to support their mission. Perhaps on one of the family style nights I'll discover a more enjoyable experience.

Pros: Vegan Options, Wine list, parking

Cons: uninspired , not enough flavor

Really Good! - Edit

The food is served family style, only one choice each day. We were served a very nice salad, pita bread with bean dip and a chick pea salad. And the main dish was broccoli, cauliflower, seitan, potato, mushroom, pepper, & onion in an Indian flavored sauce. This was served with a big bowl of grains (a mixture of quinoa and brown and white rice). For dessert we were served chocolate cake. The price for this large meal was only $12.50 per person. The service was excellent. I will definitely go back.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly service

homestyle cooking - Edit

This is a gem of a restaurant. Its decor is folk art, it's atmosphere similar. It has a really 'homey' feel to it. You won't receive a menu! There is essentially one item on the menu, which is marginally modified. For example, when we went there was minestrone soup to which could be added rice for vegans or cheese ravioli for vegetarians. It was served with a focaccia type garlic bread with a red pesto and a beautiful salad. Tea, wine, beer was also on offer. To end was a vegan chocolate cake, but for us the minestrone was so hearty that dessert was an impossibility. The cook and waitress were so friendly, even serving my 5yo plain pasta (he's in that fussy stage - only bland will do). They were so patient with us. It was like being invited to someone's home for dinner. Highly, highly recommended. And the price? $35 for three big meals - incredible!

Pros: excellent food, healthy, friendly

Cons: choice

Return to Pacific Grove Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Julia's Vegetarian Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5922 times since Jan 2011.