Julia's Vegetarian Cuisine

831-656-9533

1180 Forest Ave Unit F, Pacific Grove, California, USA, 93950

Vegetarian restaurant on the Monterey Peninsula since 2010. Located in an older building next to other restaurants. Dinner includes salad. Family style on Sunday. Food is mostly vegan. Open Mon-Thu 5:00pm-8:30pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-9:30pm, Sat-Sun 11:00am-2:30pm, Sun 5:00pm-8:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Pizza, International, Beer/Wine

First Review by mlcats

You will love the wild mushrooms. - Edit

Always the freshest of local ingredients. Expertly combined for unique flavors and tastes. The food is amazing! Atmosphere is festive and comfortable with a live guitar player every night. It's a relaxing and cozy place, but not at all too tight. The music is a pleasant background to enjoying the meal. The owner has a genuine passion for giving his diners an exceptional experience. The locally harvested wild mushrooms are a rare treat. It's the best of Pacific Grove.

Pros: The best of fresh local ingredients., Wonderful unique dishes and flavor combinations., Relaxing live music every night.

Lovely - Edit

Reservations recommended for this place. It's small but very good! We had vegan BBQ pizza, one of their veggie salads, and a vegan brownie. All filling and delicious. A slightly more upscale restaurant with affordable dishes that are still going to leave you full!

Great find while traveling - Edit

We were traveling in the area and thought we'd stop by for a vegan pizza. Well, we had the pizza a roasted veggie pizza and also decided to try the special-a fingerling potato and mushroom mole. And Holy Mole it was fantastic. The mole with its many notes and flavors unfortunately overshadowed the pizza but it more than made up the difference. Wow! Well worth the visit will return when in the area.

Pros: Pro Vegan!, Charming and Homey, Delicious Food

Cons: Small, Live Entertainment nice but in your face

Impressive! - Edit

This quint, 8 seat restaurant is adorable. The tables are made of solid slab wood and so is the flooring.

The presentation of the food is probably the best I have ever seen. The taste of the food was delicious.

On Wednesday nights, it has live music with a gentleman with his Mandalay. The music made the small restaurant more like an Irish pub and it was way too loud.

One thing is clear, make a reservation. People came in and had to wait 30 minutes for a table.

Pros: Lovely Visuals, Taste of Food

Cons: Loud music, A little pricey

Nothing special. Some vegan options. - Edit

We stopped there for lunch on our trip to Monterey.
The place is newly renovated and the interior is cozy and welcoming.
Vegan options are not clearly marked but the menu is simple and our server was helpful.
We ordered Julia's pizza the vegan version without cheese, antichoke entrée with vegan aioli and mushroom burger. The antichoke was outstanding, but the rest of the meal could have been better, nothing special. The price is reasonable for the pizza but the burgers were expensive for the quality.
The food was fresh and made on the spot.
I would go back given the limited vegan options in the area, but probably not if this place was in San Francisco where there are more vegan restaurants to choose from.

Pros: Lots of parking, Cozy, friendly atmosphere

Cons: Uses products of animal exploitation: eggs and mil

Great dinner despite pet peeves - Edit

My partner and I came in on a Friday evening without a reservation and were seated right away. We shared the yellow coconut curry and the tamarind bowls, both with a soup and a simple salad added for another $5 or so. Everything was tasty and came in large portions. We also got a slice of apple spice cake to round out our meal.

I just wish the menu had more variety. It's basically just soups & salads, burgers, rice bowls, and pizza. That could just be me, but I try to avoid ordering salads when dining out, am not a fan of veggie burgers or pizza in general, and find grain bowls a bit tedious. Another pet peeve of mine is poor ventilation. It's probably because of the small, closed dining space, it could've used some fresh air inside.

All that being said, I'd still recommend this place. We enjoyed the food a lot and the value was right.

Pros: delicious food, big portions

Cons: poor ventilation, lack of variety

Beautiful little restaurant - Edit

The entire menu sounded absolutely delicious, it was so hard to choose! I ordered the Roasted Garlic Vegetable Entree to-go. The sautéed greens were absolutely amazing. When I picked it up, I was very pleased with the interior of the restaurant. It was rustic and minimalist. Didn't feel crowded despite its smaller size. I definitely recommend!

Pros: Clean, welcoming interior, Lots of menu options , Option to order carry-out

Great little spot! - Edit

I got take our here on a Friday because I wanted delicious food to eat by the fire in my hotel room. I picked it up about 830 pm, it was dead inside (literally no patrons), but warm and cozy. The two people working were really nice. I'm got the mushroom ravioli and it was delicious! Would definitely go back!

Wow :) - Edit

Wow, das Essen war super lecker. Wir waren sonntags dort und es gab ein fixes Menü. Die Portionen waren riesig und wir hatten Mühe alles aufzuessen. :) Lecker lecker lecker!

Pros: Preis-Leistungsverhältnis, freundliches Personal

Pleasant and intimate - Edit

Julia's is an intimate vegetarian restaurant with a wide selection. Vegans will have plentiful choices. The dining room is pleasant, with some rustic tables. There is live music on Thursday nights, which I didn't stay for. I had the dinner deal - an entree (saag - an interesting mixture), soup (red lentil) and house salad. I also had the vegan spice cake. The food was very good, service was fine.

Great food and lovely staff - Edit

On sundays Julia's offers a fixed menu. We got vegan sushi and it looked and tasted great! Starters and dessert were very good as well. Staff were great as well!

Very Good - Edit

I really enjoyed this restaurant. The place is very small, reservations recommended, but the menu is rather large for such a small place. It is mostly vegan, with only the pizzas having dairy cheese and a couple of items containing dairy by request. The place is not cheap, but reasonable and the food is fresh and largely unprocessed. This is a must visit for this area, given there are so few options, but I would recommend this place even if it were in Chicago, NYC, or San Francisco.

Generous portions of very tasty food - Edit

I had a Caesar-inspired salad and roast vegetables with garlic sauce. Both were perfectly prepared and seasoned. The seasoning was a very nice surprise as I am used to many vegetarian restaurants serving rather bland food.

The prices are good, the portions generous and the staff are extremely friendly. What more could one want...
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 22, 2015

Updated from previous review on Saturday August 22, 2015

Pros: great seasoning, friendly staff, generous portions

Cons: may run out of tables at rush times

Delectable - Edit

Fresh ingredients. Incredibly vegan friendly. Artisanal. Cozy. Warm and welcoming staff.

slow food / great food - Edit

Great service, nice little place for dinning, no rush, great service, and overall: marvelous food. I tried fetuccini and the soup of the day, both wonderful.

Homey restaurant with excellent food - Edit

The chef is amazing here. He creates so many delicious dishes.

Great vegan food - Edit

We went on a Sunday for the family style menu. There were many courses including desert and everything was fabulous. There was a lot of food, even the omni----s were satisfied. It's listed as vegetarian but everything was vegan. It's $18 now and we'll worth it. I wish I lived closer.

Pros: Vegan, Large portions, Yummy

Colorful, charming little place, dinner only - Edit

I neglected to read that they aren't open for lunch & I was leaving the area thus didnt get to eat here, but the owner was there prepping & he was VERY nice & the place was adorable & the menu for the day looked divine, I was so sad to not get to eat there. Next time I am in northern CA I will make a point of having dinner there.

Return to Pacific Grove Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Julia's Vegetarian Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.