Julia's Kitchen

Contact 720-389-5578

3980 Broadway St, Boulder, Colorado, USA, 80304

Gluten-free kitchen providing breakfast, lunch, and grab-and-go dinner. Ingredients are as organic as possible. Sample items include veggie pancake, veggie burgers, raw cashew coconut macaroons, raw fig bars, sourdough bread, and sprouted grain crackers. Saturday at the farmers' market. Moved from 4457 Broadway St. From May 2016 no longer accepts credit cards. Tue-Fri 11:00am-3:00pm

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Raw, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by initfortheanimals

such a delight - Edit

I was blown away by this place. Veggie pancakes and lemon-ginger veggie steam, golden smoothie, and buckwheat pancakes are all delicious. Staff very nice and helpful. It's worth the trip out.

A very pleasant surprise - Edit

Julia's Kitchen weds good flavor and salubrious ingredients with exceptionally warm service and good vibes. We were roundly pleased and impressed with the whole experience.

The menu offers enough diversity that there should be something for everyone. We particularly enjoyed the pesto "sausage" pizza, which surprised us with several waves of delicious flavors.

There's ample parking in the lot out front.

Enjoy!

Pros: tasty and creative cuisine, super warm service and good vibes

favorite colorado restaurant - Edit

whenever I find myself near boulder, I make a point to stop and eat at Julia's. I'll even hop on the motorcycle and make up an excuse to ride the nearly 30 miles from my house. this is a rare restaurant anywhere. how many restaurants on the planet only serve sprouted grains and legumes? how many even know what "sprouted" means? the chef is super creative. this is one those restaurants where I wonder how did they make that? as someone who eats vegan, gluten free and organic, this is heaven! none of this wouldn't matter if the flavors weren't super yummy as well. here I can eat desserts guilt free. whether or not you eat vegan, I bet that you'll enjoy the food and feel better. make sure to pick up a loaf of the sprouted breads. I'm uber grateful for restaurants like Julia's. as an added bonus the staff are always friendly, patient, considerate and loving. she hires well. the place exudes peace and love. not sure what to get? the burger and quiche are winners. pancakes are yummy. it's all good. eat here. be love. be joy.

Pros: organic, vegan, yummy, super service, lots of love

Cons: wish it was closer to denver

quick lunch - Edit

We stopped in for a late lunch, just wanting to fill up a little before dinner. We ordered the veggie quiche with yam salad and the kitchari stew. We'd seen the quiche cooling on the table behind the counter and it tasted as good as it looked. Dirk really enjoyed the kitchari which came with a buckwheat crepe. Both items were tasty, but definitely on the healthy side. One staff was particularly friendly and chatted with another customer during his break, leaving us with the other staff who was just decent. Overall, a nice experience.

Pros: all vegan, healthy and gluten free

Best Local Vegan Place - Edit

This place is cozy and warm. I've eaten here several times and the staff has always been friendly and helpful. Lots of unique choices that are 100% vegan, organic and gluten-free. Cloth napkins for an eco-friendly dinning experience. I am a repeat customer. :-)
Updated from previous review on Thursday June 12, 2014

Updated from previous review on Thursday June 12, 2014

Pros: very healthy, staff, unique

Awful - Edit

We drove out of our way to try this place. The food was ok but it seemed dirty and the staff was awful. I would be bummed if I owned this place and the people who worked there represented me like this. Unecessary and too bad. The one girl wouldn't even take my very simple order she was so overwhelmed with one lady buying four muffins.

The Wonderful Kind of Full - Edit

I had eaten here one other time before yesterday, and now I am wondering what took me so long to get back. Last time I only ran in and picked up something from their "grab and go" fridge, plus a couple of chocolate chip cookies because hey...chocolate chip cookies.

Yesterday when I ventured back there while in Boulder for the day I was welcomed by a warm and inviting staff who gave me the space to decide what I wanted and made me feel taken care of at the same time. I am always a bit overwhelmed as a gluten-free vegan when I find myself in a restaurant where I can eat anything on the menu.

I decided to try the chickpea burger and all I can say is holy yum! It was warm and slightly crispy on the outside with a beautifully warm and chewy texture on the inside and served with some cabbage and ridiculously good caramelized onions, and a balsamic sauce. This was all on a bun of their incredible sourdough bread and served up with a side salad of shredded carrots, purple cabbage and some herbs. The food left me full but not overly so.

The bread was so good I grabbed a loaf to go and it is dense and hearty and I've already frozen some because this will last me a while. I had a slice warmed today with some avocado and hot sauce. That is a breakfast of champions!

I also grabbed a few chocolate chip cookies because my memories of them were so wonderful and I was not disappointed. I don't like my desserts to be cloyingly sweet or artificial tasting. These had just the right hint of sweet and a slightly nutty flavor with a crunch I imagine might be millet.

The staff was all warm and friendly and the place has an incredible amount of charm. The napkins are all handmade with whimsical fabric, there is a sign by the water cooler telling you if you can't finish your glass that "our herbs are always thirsty," and the place smells heavenly from all of the cooking, sprouting, fermenting, and dehydrating going on. I live a bit far to make Julia's Kitchen a seriously regular thing, but rest assured when I find myself up near Boulder I will be stopping in - and I'm sure to bring friends!

Pros: Delicious, nourishing food, Warm and friendly staff, Charming atmosphere

Cons: A bit off my beaten path

Very bland food.. staff too cool for school - Edit

Ate here three times, each time hoping it would get better. Unfortunately, the menu is very very bland. On top of that, each time I visited I felt like I didn't belong here... the staff was kind of lukewarm; maybe because I didn't have dreads or something.

In any case, I think there many better veg / vegan options in Boulder.

Cons: Indifferent staff, Bland menu

Healthy, clean food - Edit

This is my go-to place when I want super healthy, clean food. The daily burger is fantastic. The Chai tea is delicious. The people are nice and it's a laid back place which is perfect. I wish I could eat here everyday.

Pros: local, organic produce, super healthy, friendly staff

EXTRAORDINARY - Edit

How many places can you find where a gluten-free vegan can choose anything on the menu? Where the choices include breakfast, lunch, dinner, crackers and cheese, desserts, grab-and-go packages, bakery items, and drinks? Julia's Kitchen is a cute, little hippy place with rickety tables, a big comfy couch and warm painted walls with artwork. My favorite meals so far have been the crepes with banana ice cream, the raw pizza, the crackers and cream cheese, (the hummus was a bit bland), and the wrap, which had a delicious green sauce. My kids didn't care for the apple caramel muffins or the scones because they're used to very sweet baked items, but their father and I really enjoyed them. You should go!

Pros: Vegan, gluten-free, fresh, delicious, Variety of menu items, good portions, Friendly staff

Cons: Small, crowded, A couple of dishes need more flavor

meh - Edit

Unfortunately, I have to mostly concur with the first reviewer (initfortheanimals). This is probably one of the healthiest restaurants in town, but it comes at the cost of flavor. We got some type of soup and a curry dish I think (I couldn't really tell you what they were beyond that, because the menu changes all the time and they were quite unmemorable) and my girlfriend and I were both pretty amazed by the lack of any sort of real seasoning or flavor. For dessert, we had a "cinnamon roll" that was also pretty bland. So again, if you're a dedicated raw-foodist, or an extremely healthy eater, you'll probably love this place. If you're looking for someplace to bring an omnivore friend (or your vegetarian self if you think taste is an important component of food as well as nutrition), avoid this place like the plague.

Pros: healthy, raw, vegan

Cons: bland, flavorless, boring

Vegetarian

Contributions +11

Nourished with loving kindness - Edit

Julia catered our kundalini yoga teacher training with Karuna at StarHouse in 2011. Her cooking was filled with loving kindness and I always felt calm and peaceful each day after lunch. I assure you that you will leave feeling nourished with the healing power of natural food. Enjoy.

Pros: healthy, nutritious, nourishing

Sweet, small place with an all vegan menu - Edit

We went there for breakfast the other day and had the special, waffles with ice cream. Oh, they were so good. There was something else cooking which smelled really good, too.
We'll be back for more.

Pros: all vegan, good food, organic, gluten free

Cons: not the cheapest, but it's all organic..

My Favorite Boulder Restaurant! - Edit

Julia's kitchen not only has the most wholesome and delicious food I have ever had, but they nurture the most loving and sincere intentions for your body and soul into every single thing they make. I am constantly blow away but the creativity in each dish/treat and moved by the process by which they craft their cuisine. Every grain sprouted in their own kitchen, every bean soaked! They are organic, 100% vegan and gluten-free...they do it all! I wish I could eat here for every single meal. If you haven't had a chance to go to Julia's Kitchen, make it a point-this place is a true Boulder gem. Thank you Julia and staff for bringing such a conscious restaurant to our community!

Pros: organic, healthy, genuine staff

A Rare Treat - Edit

It is soooo difficult to find vegan food that is also gluten-free when you're eating out. Not at Julia's Kitchen. This place is a breath of fresh air. When I went they had cream of broccoli soup; red lentil coconut curry; sprouted lentil, millet, and vegetable sauté with lemon ginger sauce; sprouted lentil sloppy joe; bbq tofu sandwich and apple-stuffed crepes. I had the sloppy joe and it was heaven on a bun.

Everything on the menu tastes like cardboard - Edit

Good intentions, worst execution ever.
I have eaten here half a dozen times, thinking it would get better, it doesn't. This is NOT the place to bring a non vegetarian, they will be scarred for life, and never want to eat veg food again, seriously.
The baked goods are the worst I've ever had, the rest of the offerings aren't far behind.
The arrogant staff are cocky and seriously lacking in customer service skills.
The decor goes hand in hand with the food, tacky and flavorless.

Pros: ingredients

Cons: food, service, food

Juliaskitchen Hi there! So sorry you haven't enjoyed your experiences at my cafe. I am very open to feedback and would welcome your constructive comments on what you would do differently if you are ever inspired to speak to me directly. We love the taste of our fresh, organic dishes that are made from scratch with the best possible ingredients. Fortunately, we have many regular customers, both vegetarians and omnivores, who feel the same. I hope that you will find a restaurant that suits your taste perfectly.

Return to Boulder Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Julia's Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 10516 times since Apr 2012.