Julian's

Contact 401-861-1770

318 Broadway, Providence, Rhode Island, USA, 02909

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers some vegetarian options such as tempeh-sausage, tofu scramble, and TVP. Soymilk and vegan options available.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Pwnie-Boy

great atmosphere and food - Edit

What an interesting place! Not all of the food is vegan but the vegan options are clearly marked. We had sandwiches and brunch food plus some unique drinks. Our favourite was the pancakes and the “steak and cheese” wrap. We loved everything we had and wish we could have ordered the Star Wars themed meals (not vegan)! There was a great vegan dessert option as well. Julian’s was the only restaurant we have ever been at with Star Wars figures displayed on a shelf and a movie playing in the bathroom! It wasn’t Star Wars but it was the next best thing – Karate Kid.

Good selection of vegan and omni options - Edit

Julian's has a good selection of vegan options. It's just down the street from the Grange. I will say, on a holiday weekend the staff felt overwhelmed and the process of getting people their tables seemed kind of disorganized.

We got told an hour, and went for a coffee and came back 30 minutes later and they had already called our name.

The food was pretty good, I had a vegan steak and cheese wrap.

Pros: vegan options

Cons: long wait on weekends

Really good vegan options - Edit

I really liked the Vegan Seitan! The seitan was grilled so that it was somewhat crispy, creating a perfect texture, especially when mixed with the cabbage and potatoes. And the sweet orange sauce was incredibly tasty. The service Sasha friendly. The atmosphere is interesting: random old signs and neon all over.

Pros: Tasty! , Large portions

Cons: Somewhat pricey

Not worth it - Edit

A group of friends chose Julian's because none of us had been there before and were celebrating. Those of us who are vegan were excited to dine at a restaurant where we had more than a salad or fries as an option. UNFORTUNATELY, the seitan steak sandwich I ordered was tasteless and as bland as food comes. The presentation was less than appetizing.
As if things couldn't get worse than the food, the server, who was rude from the moment we sat down, was the most unprofessional, rude server I've EVER had. I made damn sure that all he got from us was the added 18% gratuity. There was NO way he was getting a penny extra and there is NO WAY IN HELL I will EVER step foot in there EVER again. This is particularly frustrating since I reside in Providence, am vegan and have limited local options.

Pros: Some interesting vegan options

Cons: WAY over priced, the service was HORRID.

Thanks to Happy Cow I had a yummy breakfast today - Edit

I'm in Providence for the weekend, so of course I looked up the local veg options on Happy Cow before going out for a Sunday morning breakfast. I'm so glad I did, Julian's was great. We arrived early and were there a few minutes after opening. We were seated immediately, but people coming even a little later had to wait for a table to clear - this is a popular, bustling restaurant and I can see why, the food is delicious and inventive. There were lots of vegetarian & vegan choices for me and my non-veg family members enjoyed the non-veg choices. I got pancakes and I was thrilled to find that they didn't just top the pancakes with the extras I chose (coconut and banana) they cooked those extras right into the pancake, making them very luscious indeed. Portion sizes are large, and Julian's offer half portions which is very civilized of them. I will definitely try to eat here next time I'm in Providence!

Pros: yummy food, lots of options, fun atmosphere

Cons: might have to wait

Julian's Providence - worth the wait - Edit

Julian's will not disappoint. The atmosphere is hip and eclectic. There are various vegan options and this is a great place for both veg and omni alike. It can get extremely crowded and the wait can be crazy - a good sign that they are doing something right. Worth the wait.

Pros: vegan options, cool atmosphere, good food

Cons: crowded, long waits, noisy

all about the st. jamez - Edit

love julian's- the vegan bloody mary is awesome. some dishes are pricey but i find the portions to be huge...if you go on a weekend be prepared to wait (unless you get there early)

Pros: bloody mary!, delicious

Cons: long wait

Amazing - Edit

This would be a treat in any city - you can make almost anything vegan! We've had breakfast and dinner here and were very impressed. The grilled tempeh didn't sound too inspired, but it was amazing. I would highly recommend this place to anyone. The beer selection is also excellent.

Breakfast was great - Edit

We live in CT, about 45 minute drive from providence. Today my friend, my girlfriend and I made the trip to check out Julian's after a friend told us they had vegan breakfast options.

I had a vegan tofu benedict and my girlfriend had the coconut and pineapple pancakes. Both were excelent and solidfied the fact that we will be making the trek to providence for breakfast a whole lot this summer. Thanks!

Pros: Wait Staff, Food, Options Galore

Cons: Could be a long wait

Excellent for vegans! - Edit

My boyfriend and I visited Providence for one night and hit up Julian's for dinner based on a friend's recommendation. Julian's is a really cute spot with great artwork and many interesting vegan options. The place can get crowded, but we arrived at the right time and did not have to wait to be seated.

We chose house made tortilla chips with a smoked tomato romesco for an appetizer. My boyfriend's entree was a soy sausage casoulet. My entree came from the specials board and was full of many of my favorite things. Here is the description:
Corriander cumin fennel crusted tempeh sausage with white bbean and red beet puree and a preserved lemon and watercress salad with Ayinger Celebrator reduction. (Ayinger Celebrator is one of my favorite beers).

This place does it right.

Dinner was great. For dessert, we had a brownie with soy ice cream and decided that we like coconut milk ice cream way better than soy.

We liked Julian's so much that we returned the next morning for brunch. Mine: tofu Benedict and his: tempeh tacos. Of course, we had a delicious Bloody Mary along with it because we were, in fact on vacation.

Pros: Variety, Great beer and wine

Revised review: Julian's is much improved - Edit

I'd given Julian's an unfavorable review back in March of 2007, but I've deleted it so that I can write a favorable one in its place. I am pleased to say that the food and service at Julian's on our most recent visits have been outstanding. The vegan entrees, soups, and desserts were each delicious, and our waitstaff were very pleasant and attentive. (No more smug hipster attitudes, which was refreshing!) I can honestly say that this is a great place for a vegan to take veg/non-veg friends and family for a thoughtfully prepared, interesting, and delicious sit-down meal. Also, the beer selection is great.

Pros: hugely improved service, delicious food, nice "upscale" option

awesome - Edit

i love julians. the food is always delicious, and the atmosphere is interesting. it isn't cheap but it's not over expensive i don't think. you're paying for a) seasonal and creative food b) vegan food and c) an interesting atmosphere. it's not too much to ask for to pay a little more than you would at a normal restaurant. i have had not waitstaff issues. sometimes you need to wait a while for the food but it's usually because the place is SO BUSY. i think it's well worth the trip.

Pros: vegan food, atmosphere, nice beer selection

Cons: no parking, really busy

AWFUL!!! - Edit

The food was mediocre and the waitress was not friendly. My boyfriend and I, who struggle to pay bills as I only work in a restaurant as well, left a small tip of about 2.00. The waitress actually CHASED us out of the restaurant and asked us why we were so cheap! I have never been so embarassed in my life. I can not fathom actually chasing someone out of a restaurant because they did not leave a BIG ENOUGH TIP??!!! How unclassy. It is not like we didn't leave a tip at all, it was all we could afford. She was rude anyway and even if I could've afforded more she would not have got much more. I will never go there again and they do not deserve any of your precious money either.

Good food and service - Edit

I recently ate with a big vegetarian group ~ 16 people on a wednesday night. The menu had a ok selection of vegetarian/food, I believe you could substitute tofu or seitan for meat. I had a smoked tofu salad and is was very good. The waitor was terrific. It was a bit pricey, but the food and wine was good. Easy to get to too. Parking on the street only, so that was a bit of a challenge.

Pros: good food, good service, convenient location

Cons: parking, pricey menu, only one bathroom

OK - Edit

Julians was ok for vegan food but ive had better. The gingerbread pancakes were very dry and wasnt thrilled by them adding powdered sugar on top. The tempeh sausage was also dry and very crumbly.

Pros: Vegan

Cons: Dry

Great food! - Edit

This was my first visit to Julian's. The atmosphere was fun and the food was great, my only issue was that our meal took about 45 minutes to get to the table. The waiter didn't seem to think that this was excessive, so that tells me that this is normal. Go there, just not when your in a hurry!

Pros: Fun atmosphere, Great food, Great vegan choices

Cons: food took forever

Ridiculously Delicious - Edit

Julian's offers some excellent food. They serve breakfast all day until 5pm and then serve dinner until 11pm. I would suggest their tofu scramblers with sautéed veggies, house fries, and toast before 5pm, and the Garden Burger on Italian bread after 5pm. They really have their meals dialed so everything tastes great! Don't forget about dessert. The vegan chocolate browny and soy ice cream was ridiculous. Also, really nice and helpful staff that were willing to answer all of my questions.

Pros: Excellent vegan food, Knowledgeable staff, Big portions

Cons: Not a cheap meal

Pretty good selection of vegan options - Edit

Although it was a bit noisier than I had anticipated, I was able to quickly adjust to my settings and get down on some vegan "eggz" benedict with hollandaise sauce. I was very impressed with my selection. They seemed to offer a fair amount of vegan selections including pancakes, tempeh sausage, tofu scrambles and some other lunch stuff, which I plan on going back to try sometime. I also have to state that we received exemplary service all around, and with a smile to boot. Beyond that, my only criticism is that they do not serve/brew fair-trade coffee, but it's not the end of the world. It's too bad my experience had to be tainted by the table of punks vying for attention and reactions by being extremely loud, rude and obnoxious, but hey, faux-punks gotta eat too.

Not the kind of place I would take my mamadukes to, but a fun atmosphere to go with that special somebody, or to chill with some friends and have good food. Or....or....or to take those lessons you've learned on being punk you had gotten from MTV2 to the street, nahmsayin?

Pros: Vegan options, Not too expensive, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Darn punkers!, No fair-trade coffee, *

Return to Providence Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Julian's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4315 times since Aug 2007.