Juicy Beetroot Cafe

Contact 08-94334488

Tum Tum Tree Lane, 132 High St, Fremantle, Western Australia,

Caters mainly to the lunchtime crowd; half price specials after 2:30pm. Serves fusion vegetarian food with rice dishes, salads, and juices. Has vegan and wheat-free selections. Casual atmosphere. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Indian, Western, Fusion

First Review by Petesternz

Busy respite from the sun - Edit

I was looking at places in Fremantle and saw this, reminding me of my visit in in 2012. So this review is a bit, ah, late.

It was around lunchtime, i was on foot, it was pretty warm and this was the nearest place with vegan food.

Juicy Beetroot is down a 'magical' side lane to a quaint place with outdoor and indoor seating. It was pretty full, but i got a basic dish - i can't remember exactly what, something with rice and vegetables and a drink - which i enjoyed.

I was happy to be able to stop here and have a rest. While i didn't stay that long, i left recharged, ready to go again.

Pros: Good location, Interesting alley to cafe, Quaint place

Cons: Vegetarian - not vegan, Not vegan, Not vegan

delicious and colourful - Edit

We found the restaurant by coincidence and were extremly happy! The food was diverse and delicious, the atmosphere was cozy and welcoming. We had a chat with an elderly man coming there every day which was quite nice too, it seems like the people who are coming there not only share food but also a kind of attitude with each other. We particularly liked the note above the napkins "Please remember that we are produced from trees, only use what you need". The only improvement I can imagine would be if they change to organic products only.

Pros: delicious food, cozy atmosphere

Cons: not organic

Delicious and affordable! :D - Edit

Finally after many years I was able to eat at Juicy Beetroot having always been in Fremantle on the weekend when they are closed! The portions are huge and really cheap for the quality and massive serving! The café is pretty plain but serves its purpose of feeding the hungry lunch crowd!
The service was okay and the atmosphere was good. When busy its probably better to take away as it can get noisy.

Pros: Delicious food, Inexpensive

Tasty but no eftpos - Edit

This place was quirky and funky. Dated and mismatched it had a certain charming yet slightly grimy feel. No eftpos which sucks for the often cashless ppl like myself. Ordered the tofu burger which was vegan and gluten free. Was worried about the gf aspect but the 'flat' bread was delish and the pesto to die for. Heaps of salad on it too. Took a while to come out but was tasty. Would hit it again.

Pros: Good Prices, Tasty food, Quirky mismatched decor

Cons: Wait time, Server wasn't that friendly, Could be cleaner

Delicious food! Service... not so good. - Edit

Ordered 1 small and one large hot food dish with hot drinks.The lady served two small portions and told me that "a large portion is too much for me and she doesn't want it to go to waste" after I kindly insisted I'd like the large portion I ordered she then gave me a large portion with plenty of hesitation with a few rude commented attempts to serve me a small.... WTF? Do only fat people eat large portions?? I think not.
I found this very offensive but it made for great dinner conversation!

We got there at 10.15 when it opens at 10.00. No cold food ready to be served. No cooked food until around 11. I found this very odd but accepted it so my friend & I chatted and waited with our hot drinks. The male preparing the food was very stressed in front of customers and I asked if they offered vegan hot chocolate on their menu - the staff member I asked did not know (the same lady who was rude to me) and upon asking the male preparing the food his flippant response was, "it's cadburys, don't know".

The food was delicious and one staff member out of 3 was great. Its a shame because I really enjoyed the food and my eating experience here with a friend.

Pros: Tasty food, Coffee and Tea was lovely, Outdoor seating

Cons: No hot food for 1hr upon opening, Open for business but no cold food ready, 2 out of 3 staff very rude / abrupt

You cannot be serious! - Edit

I turned up at 2pm after taking 30 minutes to find this place in the searing heat. Literally no food left apart from some unattractive dahl and rice. Waitress told me it's better to turn up at 1145am next time. Was I in France? No. Couldn't even do me a sandwich or a salad and she couldn't have cared any less.

You're either open for business or closed. I would have thought that people who own vegan and vegetarian cafes care just a little..not in this case. Businesses don't deserve to survive who treat potential clients in this way. If demand is there make 5% more food and you make more money....if you don't need to make more money then give it to charity and consider your client base.

Pros: NONE

Cons: Ran out of food, Unhelpful staff, Difficult to find so don't bother!

great little place - Edit

Hidden down a laneway this place is well worth the visit with plenty of beautiful salad dishes, hot food, cakes and coffee. Well priced and great relaxed atmosphere .

Hidden Treasure - Edit

Wonderful, funky little cafe type restaurant in Freo.
Always a lovely variety of fresh salads, sandwiches, and warming foods such as curry or lasagne. Always delicious vegan options.
Fresh juice and friendly staff.
I go there quite often as they are affordable and fantastic!

Pros: vegan and veg friendly, nice environment, YUM!

Cons: closes early, runs out fast

good hearty food - Edit

Had a good lunch here of cauliflower ball in a tomato sauce with potato salad. It simple but very good food. As reveiwers have said no cakes etc but great value basic but tatsy lunch food. Definatley recomend

Pros: tatsy, good value, healthy

Cons: hard to find

Great little place! - Edit

Juicy Beetroot is a hidden gem in Freo. They have excellent salads at very reasonable prices. It is a struggle to get through a Large one which, considering my appetite, is a great effort on their part!

The only thing is, they have limited amounts of each salad, and usually run out in the middle of the lunch rush. My advice to anyone going there is to aim to get there around 11:45am, before the lunch rush and you will have the pick of the salads. By 1pm most of the good ones are gone!

They also do excellent smoothies for $4(!) and good coffees. The perfect, humble little health food cafe in Perth. Highly recommended!

Pros: Lovely Food, Chilled-out vibe, Well-priced

Cons: Runs out by 1pm

Juicy Beetroot Cafe - Edit

This Little cafe located in Fremantle was a sight for sore eyes. I was in dire need for some fresh vegetarian food a hot cup of chai and a place in the sun. This Cafe is a true gem and fitted the bill in all three areas. This cafe does NOT accept credit cards and is CASH ONLY. A lovely selection of vegetarian bread rolls with a variety of fillings on offer, lots of lovely different salads to choose from as well as several hot meals to choose from. You have a choice of serving bowl sizes to choose from for different appetites and you can take away meals as well as dine inside/outside. The meals are substantial and full of goodness. I had the dahl, rice, veggies and some beetroot salad along with chai for one with soy milk. The meal was delicious, filling, light and freshly cooked!!! There are a variety of desserts available. As I have not tried them I cannot offer an opinion. This Cafe is tucked away off High Street in Tum Tum Tree Lane..away from the hustle and bustle of high street.

Pros: Freshly cooked food, Variety of hot and cold dishes, Serving Size Choices

Cons: Cash only , Bit noisy inside music quite loud

Yummy juice - Edit

Nice juice, nice atmosphere (can sit outside under the Tum Tum tree!), but no vegan desserts other than a date bar (boring). Didn't try the main dishes, but they looked good.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Good juice

Cons: Difficult to find, Hardly any vegan desserts

Vego Freo - Edit

A good variety of vegetarian salads and hot foods for lunch. Generous servings as well. Good use of tofu. Add-your-own spicy sauces. We've had several lunches here and been very satisfied every time. Nice filtered water. Coffee is a bit hit and miss though, but they can be forgiven for that because the food is so nice.

Pros: Use of broccoli, they're vego, serving size

Cons: opening times

regular customer says it all - Edit

Big portions of food for take away or sit in. Offer up to 8 salad choices, 2-3 indian type hot dishes and regular offering of brown rice and Dahl. Can mix and match hot and cold!! Also offer another hot dish, being Veg lasagna or spinach/feta pie, and others. They have tempah sandwiches, tofu burgers, soup of the day and desserts. I have had the cheese cake and it was simple and tastey. Can be a line up during the lunch hour. Some less tastey hot items at times.

Pros: generous portions

OK but nothing to go out of your way for... - Edit

This place was nice to visit after surveying the dearth of options in Perth. Still, while the food was OK it was nothing to get excited about. The juices were nice, but the curry we had was bland, and the sandwich was filling and acceptable. Nothing more. Desserts looked so uninspiring we passed on them. Nice, bright setting though.

Pros: healthy

Cons: bland

Return to Fremantle Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Juicy Beetroot Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4829 times since Aug 2007.