Juan's Flying Burrito - Lower Garden District

Contact 504-569-0000

2018 Magazine St, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 70130

Serves meat, vegan options available. Semi-fast burrito restaurant with a few outlets. Cooks beans without lard, rice without chicken stock. Kitchen cooks food to-order, so let your server know if you're veg/vegan. Veg items include the super green burrito (roasted veggies and chilies), veggie punk burrito (potato and chili based), sweet potato quesadilla, veggie enchilada, mardi gras Indians tacos. Funky atmosphere with a punk rock vibe. Has local beer.

Category: Lacto, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by bayzydk

Great place - Edit

Excellent restaurant. Eclectic feel, delicious food. Non-vegetarian (literally no vegetables) companion able to enjoy food as well as my ability to get a great vegan burrito. Spicy. Very New Orleans vibe.

Pros: Atmosphere, Service

Supergreen Burrito is Superb - Edit

The mid city location is very close to where we are staying. We ordered the Supergreen Burrito and the Veg Fajitas. We also started with an appetizer of guacamole and chips.

The supergreen burrito was so big that even sharing it with someone, we were full after eating it. Still the food on the fajita place was varied and tasty

When we ordered all veg food we were offered a choice of dairy or none. Although we are not vegan, it was nice to be offered the choice of vegan preparation. It show that they care about the choice that we make and are willing to accomodate.

Both dishes that we ordered were delightful. I would skip the guacamole and chips. The guacamole is not made to order although it tasted fine.
Updated from previous review on Friday May 03, 2013

We went back in 2014. I should have read my own review first. We ordered exactly the same thing and we were offered vegan (no dairy) options. We ordered the Guacamole again and once again, I'd recommend passing. I ordered a frozen drink again, and again it was way too sugary.

Still, the main dish was great and they really try to help you when they know you are veg/vegan. We will be going back!

Pros: great veg entrees, accommodating to vegans

Cons: guacamole not made to order, frozen drinks too sugary

We Love Juans - Edit

This place is right down the street from my house so we go a lot. It's a great place to get burritos and their margaritas are also fantastic! Very vegan friendly :)

Pros: Delicious, Cheap

Cons: Wish They Had More Vegan Options

Vegan Mexican Food - Edit

We made the trip to Juan's Flying Burrito after reading the reviews on this site. It was a neat place to visit. The decor is interesting and the art displayed throughout is for sale. I ordered the wet burrito and they were able to vegan-ize it for me and my husband ordered the veggie punk. The size was way too much to finish but both were delicious. The price was really reasonable - a can of PBR was only $1!

Pros: Big portions, Cool atmosphere, Nice staff

Cons: Long walk from the French Quarter

serves to please, busy, nice little place - Edit

we walked back a second time due to the super yummy salad I made out of several of their sides, my husband ordered it as well. They will certainly give you what you want and they remembered us :-) Very nice staff, cute little place in the garden district, the nicest area to hang out in our opinions.

Pros: great service, accommodating

Cons: not a lot of vegan options

good burritos - Edit

The main seating is booths, and there is also a bar and a few tables in the back. It's a small place, but the potato and bean burrito was delicious. I imagine that this place is key in wee hours after a night on the town (actually, i guess they're only open until 11 or 10... but still).

Pros: yum

Cons: small, busy

Delicious! - Edit

My server understood what "vegan" meant and offered to have me order a bean burrito with three veggies, and guacamole, no dairy for (I think) the price of a regular vegetarian burrito. They have vegan (or vegan-able) options, but it was nice to special order. Also, they have whole wheat tortillas. Everything was delicious and fresh!

Pros: great food, inexpensive, helpful staff

Cons: not 100% veg

A Must-eat - Edit

We visited both locations while in town and were satisfied each time. The first time (Mid City) I got the Supergreen burrito (dairy optional) which was orgasmic and my boyfriend got the vegetarian fajitas w/o cheese. An appetizer of chips & salsa (which was chunky and awesome) and beer may have put us over the top cuz we were so full we wanted to die. The second time we went to the Garden District location and my boyfriend got the Supergreen (cuz he saw how in love I was the first time) and I, not being too hungry, simply got the chips/salsa/guac appetizer (which did end up being quite the meal). You MUST go to this place. They have chill music playing and great prices.

Pros: Yummy, Big portions

Big and Satisfying Burritos - Edit

Burritos are huge and relatively cheap. The Veggie Punk and Super Green Burritos are satisfying and can easily be made vegan without cheese. The place can be packed for lunch and dinner-especially on the weekends. I haven't always had the best service-those hipster tattooed folks can be just plain rude.

Pros: Yummy Mexican food, Not too expensive

Cons: Occasional rude service, Expect a wait during lunch or dinner

Cheap veggie food - Edit

I enjoyed Juan's Flying Burrito. I got enchiladas (gluten-free and vegetarian), and sat outside to people watch on lovely Magazine Street. They are inexpensive and the food was decent. My Margarita was also decent and cheap.

Pros: Inexpensive, yummy, outdoor seating

Tasty Bargain - Edit

I've only been to the Magazine location, but my experience was great. Hip but welcoming atmosphere, big menu, and big portions. Being from Seattle (where everything is expensive), I was shocked to see a huge, veggie filled burrito was only going to put me back 6 or 7 dollars. My server was totally committed to helping me find nondairy options, and seemed to know what a vegan was. I was there around Strawberry Festival, so the local brewery, Abita, had out their strawberry beer. AMAZING. I highly recommend eating at Juan's

Pros: cheap, cool vibe, friendly waitstaff

Return to New Orleans Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Juan's Flying Burrito - Lower Garden District closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2748 times since Apr 2010.