Joyous Vegetarian

Contact +852-22540128

7/F, Zhongda Building, 38-40 Haiphong Rd, Tsim Tsa Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China,

悅素居, at 尖沙咀海防道38-40號中達大廈7樓全層, offers lunch menu and a la carte, since Feb 2015. Has English menu and spoken. Seats 60. Nearest MTR Tsim Sha Shui exit A1. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-10:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Take-out

First Review by kgiovacco

Not a joyous experience at all. - Edit

Following some of the comments here, I went to this place but remaining a bit suspicious.
As described in another review, I soon as I entered one waitress hasten to serve me a tea without asking anything - I declined the tea and she offered me hot water instead (the water was free). It's not like I didn't want any tea but I hate to be pushed to consume in such a way.
The waitress gave me the menu (in both Cantonese and English) and quickly came back with another smaller menu all written in Chinese and asked me if I wanted rice or noodles. Again, she was very pushy and wanted to quickly describe the meals ; I told her that I wanted to check the menu I already hold.
I took a vegetable and bean curd pot with rice.
While waiting, she asked me if I wanted some jasmine tea, I declined.
The food arrived, the pot had a descent size, the rice ball was minuscule, not small like in many Chinese restaurant.
The food was bland, almost tasteless, few vegetables (bok choy above all, some mushrooms and some little slices of carrots) in a brown sauce that seemed to be extremely diluted soya sauce with whatever thickener (starch ?) and no spices, no herbs, nothing. Nice tofu portion on the other hand.
So far one of the worst restaurants in Hong Kong.

Cons: Tasteless, Pushes one to consume, Serves tea such as it is free but it is not

Guilty vs Guiltless - Edit

The meat subs tasted very much like meat and that made me feel a little guilty as a vegan. I recommend the "duck" with lemon sauce and braised "beef", both dishes are savory and filling.

Pros: Attentive and knowledgeable servers, English menu

pleasant interesting varied menu - Edit

friendly service helpful English and Chinese menu. recommend taro and pumpkin in coconut milk very popular on a Thursday evening so booking might be smart at weekends? would return and recommend

Pros: much choicefresh

Cons: none

Amazing food - Edit

I had some honey "pork" made by soya. It was just amazing! So worth the visit. Staff are teally sweet and they made sure all of it was vegan. They speak good English. Strongly reccomend vegans to go to this place.

Cons: none

Very pleasant surprise - Edit

I had a lunch here with my whole family so we had quite a wide array of dishes. I have to say we enjoyed all the dishes very much. The view from the restaurant is very nice, surprisingly green. Service was friendly and restaurant is clean and peaceful. I am definitely going to return to this restaurant.

Pros: Good food, Nice view, Peaceful

Adequate but better places in the area - Edit

Joyous Vegetarian

(open 11:30am to 10:30pm)

7/F, Zhongda Building, 38-40 Haiphong Rd, Tsim Tsa Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong
From Chung King Mansions (40 Nathan Rd) go right on Nathan Rd. and walk about 3 blocks to Haiphong Rd which will be on the left just before the MTR Sha Tsui Station (note: The MTR station is incorrectly marked on the Happy Cow Google map – it is just past Haiphong Rd)(Also don’t be deceived by looking for the Kowloon Park as a landmark – on Nathan road is a row of shops fronting the park > the park is not visible from the street) > follow Haiphong Rd for 2 blocks past Hankow Rd and the restaurant will be on your left in the Zhongda Building. It is on the 7th floor.

/ Phone: +852-22540128

Great service, decent environment / we got a “set” dinner for 2 which included, rice, sweet black bean desert, and 3 main course dishes from a list of 15. Corn soup was bland but good, the other dishes were very good and delicious, and the desert was yummy.

The set meal for 2 of us came to $268 Hong Kong Dollars. (Reasonable for Hong Kong prices. Not a city for travelers on a tight budget.)

Only complaint I have is that when we sat down they gave us 2 cups and a pot of watery Chinese Tea. I had been caught before with this Hong Kong style of serving tea without it being asked for as if it was gratuitous and then being charged for it. So I told them I did not want the tea. She asked if I would like water. I said yes and she came back with a pot of hot water. At the end of the meal we were charged $14 Hong Kong Dollars for the water.

Pros: Friendly staff

Cons: $14 HKD for hot water, Hit and miss with flavors

Joyous Vegetarian, Hong Kong - Edit

To add to this review... I've also been here with the Meat Free HK meetup group and thoroughly enjoyed it. We are going back again for another meetup this month.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday April 28, 2015

I spun into here today with 2 others to try their lunch set menu. It comprised tea, 1 soup and also rice to accompany a choice of 3 from the six main dishes on offer in the lunch deal. On asking I was told 2 of the 6 were non vegan (very useful info and good that the staff have what appears a decent level of vegan awareness). And of course as is the case here it's always a useful bonus when staff speak English in the face of my still rubbish standard of Cantonese.

The soup was very nice, quite a light but perfectly pleasant flavour with a tomato base. Similarly the dishes in the main course were lightly pleasant and tasty without being overwhelming. Nice tea also.

This came to 45 hkd per person all in. I thought 45 hkd was very reasonable value.

I was considering whether to rate this eatery as a 4 or a 5 based on today's experience. My 2 dining companions are telling me to make it a 4. My girlfriend clearly likes it here as she has said she is considering inviting her parents to eat here for mother's day. There's a pretty clear endorsement for you.

Updated from previous review on Sunday January 10, 2016

Pros: Vegan friendly, Good value lunch deal

Worst Experience - Edit

We found this restaurant through happy cow. We ordered 2 dishes. One was recommended by the waitress something like mopu tofu and the other was a noodle dish. Mopu tofu came within 5 mins of ordering. We waited for the noodle dish and it didn't come. After asking the waitress about it she said that chef is still preparing it. We got the noodles after 30 mins. After having 2 bites of the noodles I felt something hard in my mouth and when I took it out it was a thin piece of metal strip about an inch long. We just paid the bill and left.

Pros: Didn't find any

Cons: No quality control

Serene atmosphere and wonderful food. - Edit

Menu was huge so I went with the set with was only HK$45 for 5 dishes and tea. the place has a lovely view over a park. The women working there were very attentive and helpful with the menu.

Pros: Almost all vegan.

Cons: Very inexpensive.

Return to Kowloon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Joyous Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.