CLOSED: Joy Discovery

Contact 08-8223-5994

13 Bent Street, Adelaide, South Australia,

Vegetarian cafe operated by students of Sri Chinmoy. Offers breakfast and lunch. Located behind the Austral Hotel. 2015 REPLACED BY AYLA CAFE. Open Mon-Thu 8:00am-8:00pm, Fri-Sat 8:00am-9:30pm, Sun 8:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Western, Juice bar

First Review by Linda

A Joy to Discover - Edit

Nice place, quiet and serene. Went for Saturday brunch. Had a delicious detox juice, Oriental burger and Chocolate Macadamia torte, partner had the vegan dog. Delicious, cheap, fresh and healthy!

Pros: Good Menu selection, Good quick service, Tasty food in a peaceful atmosphere

Cons: No sides with dishes, Slightly cheesy hippy music

Yummy food, relaxed atmosphere - vegan friendly - Edit

I almost always have the Tofu Burger and sub the rainbow salad for the digestive salad (which they are happy to do!) - and the tofu is a decent sized block of tofu it's really worth the money. My other go to is the vegan hot dog, which is also delish.

Most things are vegan here which is lovely.

Delicious food, relaxed atmosphere. Each table comes with a collection of sayings from the guru/meditation master Sri Chinmoy. You collect your own cutlery from a table on the side.

Pros: Yummy, Relaxed atmosphere, Vegan options

Cons: Can be pricey for the student, Not a place for a loud chat (pro maybe?)

A real 'joy to discover' - Edit

My husband and I have been dining at this café for at least 10 years. We simply love it. If we lived closer to the CBD we'd be there every weekend.

Freshly made fruit and vegie juices and smoothies (vegan available), the 3 vegie pates with corn chips are amazing, colourful 'rainbow' salad stuffed into delish vegan burgers (Mexicana bean burger on rye and Golden Tofu burger in a wrap are my favourites). Gluten free wrap bread is available. With tempeh, tofu, legumes, fresh vegies and salads, soy mayonnaise and soy milk there are plenty of ingredients to cater for the vegan.

Vegan lentil pies, delicious soup of the day and curry/rice/dhal (CRD) of the day always on hand.

A chilled out atmosphere, clean appearance, reasonable prices and the staff are friendly and nothing is too much trouble (like swapping ingredients in or out of the burger).

One of my favourite Adelaide establishments.

Pros: Many vegan options, Fresh, organic ingredients, Clean appearance and friendly atmosphere

Cons: Portion size of pates could be larger

Flavour levels need work - Edit

I had lunch here with my partner last weekend. When we got there I realised it was connected by a passageway to Zenhouse which is right nextdoor, but I'm not sure whether the two places are related. There's plenty of seating with a no-frills decor and the staff were pleasant. I ordered a tofu burger with red bean dip and vegan mayonnaise ($11-$12) and although this was nice and moist (which some vegan burgers aren't), it unfortunately lacked flavour: I could barely taste anything. My partner's falafel burger with hummus and lime was nicer, with deliciously savoury falafel and the fresh taste of the lime working brilliantly together. I'd also ordered a berry smoothie - made vegan with soy milk and soy ice cream (around $8) - but in keeping with the tasteless theme I'd been experiencing it was thin with no fruitiness and barely any sweetness. Not the most thrilling lunch experience but I might come back to try other burgers and menu items and hope they'd be tastier.

Pros: Largely vegan

Cons: Some menu items lack flavour

Delicious! - Edit

Really relaxing place to eat with a great menu. I had the golden tofu burger and on a second visit I had the not-dog. Both were gorgeous. I also had a slice of peanut butter chocolate cheesecake. All these items were vegan. I'd definitely go back here again.

Pros: Nice vibe, Fresh, tasty food.

Healthy nutritious food - Edit

Lucky for me this cafe is just around the corner from work so there are many times it has been my saviour when I haven't been able to organise some healthy food from home. My favourites are the Tofu Burger and the soups. If you are after a nice drink I'd recommend the Banana smoothie.
If you are after a healthy and delicious meal when in the CBD head here!

Pros: Healthy, Delicious, Convenient location

Don't miss the vegan cheesecakes! - Edit

Fabulous mostly vegan cafe in Adelaide city centre - delicious and reasonably priced food on an Indian theme and friendly staff too. Check out the desserts :-)

Pros: Desserts!, Food quality, Prices

Was a Joy! - Edit

Had something to eat here after a Mt Lofty hike and was very good. Wasn't over priced, was good food. I had a tofu burger with a nice cake that doesnt come to mind right now but it was rad. Took a little while to come out but I wasn't in a hurry so I didn't mind.

Pros: Good Food, Reasonable Prices, Good Location

Cons: Bit slow in service

Yum vego and vegan food - Edit

I was catching up with friends recently because I have moved back to Adelaide, and my vegan friend suggested that we go to Joy Discovery for a 'not-dog'. There were 4 of us eating there and we all had not-dogs, even though there was heaps of other great vegetarian and vegan food on the menu - I would really like to try their dahl next time.

The girls running the cafe were very friendly and the food was really delicious. The cafe itself is fresh and modern with lots of natural light and it was just a really great experience. I really want to go back but when I have tried to go back since, it has been closed (I'm not sure what the opening hours are, but I guess they only do lunch.)

I will now highly recommend this cafe to anyone who wants a healthy vegetarian or vegan lunch in a nice place with great staff and service.

Pros: great food, friendly service, reasonable price

Cons: down quiet side street

Joy Discovery - Edit

Always wonderful food, a peaceful, inviting and happy place to get a wholesome delicious lunch....It is a favorite!!!! The only thing that could make this a better place to dine is if you could eat there for a night time meal....but good on the staff etc for having a life.....and enjoying it. This is reflected in the meals they deliver.

Pros: food is exeptional, nutritious,generous serves, peaceful enviroment

Cons: opening hours

Joy-Discovery - Edit

Do not miss this one!!!! The food is truly outstanding - super fresh and absolutely delicious. The sweets are the best I've had any where but my favourite thing about Joy-Discovery is the divine peaceful atmosphere and the cheerful, loving staff. Keep up the great service girls!!!

Pros: service awesome, food fresh everyday, divine atmosphere

Cons: so good its hard to go back to work!, having to stop at one chocolate brownie

Return to Adelaide Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Joy Discovery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.