Joshi's Vegetarian Food Court

An Indian vegetarian restaurant with plenty of vegan options. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-10:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Indian, Take-out

First Review by Astonangel

Excellent hospitality and welcome, great food - Edit

I visited here twice during my 3 night stay in Zanzibar and loved it. Zanzibar Soup was a new item for me but it sort of reminded me of the soup I had in Myanmar - albeit with different flavors and local twists. It was good and worth having again. Thali was also good and very filling - made spicy as I had asked - refills were available for asking and I was fully sated. I had Indian Masala Tea on both occasions and that was good too. Place is real easy to find if you ask for Swahili House Hotel and from there, it's 50 meters away and you can ask for it by name.

For me, even more than the food, it was the warm welcome I received and all the help I was provided. I met a local person there (Feroz-bhai) who took me on a day-tour of the island and beaches (Kendwa, Nungwi, and Paje) as well as dropped me off to the ferry terminal.

Similarly, Joshibhai the owner, who also runs a tour and travel business and knows everything around, made reservation for me at a local place in Dar Es Salaam and even gave directions to the taxi driver in Dar as to where to take me to!

It's this kind of hospitality and kindness that speaks volumes for this business and it's owner. Highly recommended without any hesitation.

Pros: Vegetarian, Can be vegan, Excellent Hospitality and Welcome

Fantastic vegan food in the heart of Stone Town - Edit

If you are looking for quality vegan/vegetarian food in Stone Town then you must visit Joshi’s. The tali was very tasty and the coconut water was fresh fresh fresh! But without doubt the best thing about it is Joshi himself. Joshi was really helpful and has a warm heart. If you are looking for a good experience then I can’t recommend enough to pay him a visit. Bon appetite!

Pros: Big selection, Authentic quisine , Relaxed atmosphere

Over-hyped - Edit

You can't doubt Joshi's entrepreneurial spirit with his promotional vegetarian poster plastered throughout tourist outlets in Stone Town.

This was our first meal pit stop upon previously reading favourable reviews on this website.

Joshi's charm and willingness to please is quite evident. However overall his presence seemed to overshadow the actual food. The thali we ordered was - at best- average. And it took half an hour to arrive when we were the sole customers. The dahl was the most sour I have ever encountered. Food looked tired and over cooked.

I was so uninspired to return (and this comes from a vegan who adores Indian food!).

Pros: Joshi is passionate and entertaining

Cons: Food quality is average, Service is slow

Great food great service! - Edit

My fiancé and I visited Joshi's right before the new year! We were exhausted, and hungry, and nighttime was almost upon us. We happened to see an advertisement for Joshi's near a date glad we found the place and it couldn't have been a better way to end our time on the island! Perfect for vegan/vegetarians; everything made by Joshi himself, from scratch and with healthy ingredients. Not only is Joshi an amazing chef, but he is an excellent host! It is evident that this is his passion! Next time we are on Zanzibar, we are going straight to Joshi's!

Pros: Delicious, healthy, local food, Wonderful host, Indoor and outdoor seating

Cons: A bit tricky to find, but people can direct you

The Place to have Zanzibari Mix - Edit

This is a place you could quite easily miss if it were not for the tables laid out in the middle of the street. The restaurant is a hole in the wall and the sitting area is in the street - such a good idea in Stone Town to people watch whilst having Urojo - also known as Zanzibari Mix - it is a smooth and tangy soup cooked with lemon and mango, with potatoes, onions slices, peanuts and crispy bhajias immersed, topped with a spoon of coconut chutney, a dash of red-hot chutney and deep fried potato shavings sprinkled on top.

And Mr Joshi's hospitality is to be savoured too! We shared out table with a local and learned that this was not just a tourist pitstop but a popular place with locals.

It is hard to find (behind the main market area) but every local seems to know it so dont be afraid to ask for Joshi's restaruant and the place to have Zanzibari mix.

Pros: Outdoor sitting to people watch, Seriously satisfying main dish, Reasonable price

Cons: No go if raining

Return to Zanzibar Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Joshi's Vegetarian Food Court closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.