Jonsborg

Contact n/a

Kungsportsavenyn 39 (at Engelbrektsgatan, north of Konstmuseet), Gothenburg, Sweden,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Fast food stand selling foods like burgers, sausages, and hot dogs. Has a vegan menu that includes vegan bratwurst, vegan spicy chorizo, vegan burgers, vegan chicken for tacos, and Tzay. Vegan sauces offered. The owner is knowledgeable about ingredients and sources of the vegan products. Happy hour with 2 for 1 specials 18:00-20:00. Mon-Thu 12:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-4:00am

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Western, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by xemilx

Great fast food :) - Edit

I loved this place and it was the first time I had so many things to choose from. It was really hard to decide.

I chose a kebabroll which I really loved. I also loved the fact that you picked out your own fillings from a salad bar, especially since I am a picky eater.
I also tried the vegan ice cream and it was really good.

Pros: A lot of different choises, Good food

Cons: Although the staff was helpul, he seemed bored, It was very small and tight

Lot of vegan Swedish food to choose between - Edit

Offers so much vegan food that it's almost hard to pick. I tried a lot of different stuff, including the famous donut soft ice cream! It all tasted delicious, and the price was average.

The staff was kind of slow and asked many times what I ordered, as they had forgot, even though there were no one else there. One of them did not speak Swedish and it was therefore hard to communicate. They did not handle the food very freshly or carefully.

They were also selling vegan food to cook at home like sausage and dried mince. Over all a good experience!

Pros: wide range of selection, curious to try new ideas, central

Cons: small, hard to communicate, not very fresh

Vegan Grill? Sign me up! - Edit

If you want to grab some easy vegan grub, then hit up Jonsborg. It's in central Gothenburg, and offers some pretty delicious vegan burgers, sausages, and hot dogs. There is a buffet included if you order a combo, and they location also has a small vegan store.

Pros: Good location, Also has a vegan store

Cons: Not as cheap as it could be, Small location; mostly take-out

Not worth the time or the money - Edit

As a vegetarian who prefers vegan food whenever possible, I want vegan friendly businesses to succeed. This one, though, is not meeting the basic criteria of customer service anymore. Over the past few years, I have seen Jonsborgs Grillen steadily decline to the point that I am just no longer able to give them the benefit of the doubt. It is very sad, actually.

The owner is rude most the of time. Sara is sweet and some of the staff is good. I decided a few years ago to stop going there when I saw that the owner was working because a good vegan burger was not worth having someone ignore me or fail to acknowledge that I was there.

Jonsborgs Grillen has now become a "build your own burger" place, which means that no matter what you order off the menu, you are expected to go over to the salad bar and add your own toppings. Why have specific burgers on the menu then? The grill is small and cramped and the salad bar is in a very awkward place. The owner had a small vegan store which recently closed. The store's inventory has now been moved to the grill, which makes it even more cramped. So, once you get your naked burger, you need to fight through other patrons so that you can get to the toppings. Then, you have to build a burger in a cramped space, while trying desperately not to tip your plate or get toppings all over other patrons. The salad bar is often dirty or not well stocked. The flavor of the salads and foods on offer is good, however, so if you manage to get there when there is nobody else there and the bar has been stocked, you may have an enjoyable meal.

The vegan food is priced far too high given what it is. The vegan selection in Gothenburg has improved drastically in the past year. Now, you can get a delicious meal for two at a trendy place for the same prace as two burgers and fries at Jonsborgs Grillen.

Sadly, I think this place need to go back to the basics and stop trying so hard. They have gotten a bit off course.

Pros: Some of the staff

Cons: price, quality of the food varies drastically, trying too hard

great fast-food! - Edit

Always handy in lack of time! In this part of the city vegan fast-food is not common, jonsborg always deliver great vegan sausages, tzay with mashed potatoes and vegan burgers. they do have a fridge with some vegan products as well.

Pros: fast, cheap, tasty

Cons: unhealthy

Perfect drunk food!! - Edit

I was visiting for a night out on the town with a bunch of meat eaters. After a concert and the bar, we had the drunken munchies. This place was perfect! There was a nice size vegan menu, and I had trouble choosing! I ended up getting the Chorizo veg korv and mash, and had no regrets! My meat eating friends were all happy too. I will eat here again :)

Pros: Good location, Tasty fast food, Nice size vegan menu

Fast food - nothing more nothing less - Edit

It's a typical fast food place I would say. Don't expect too much!
The staff is friendly and helpful and the salad bar is a nice thing to top your garlic-y mashed potatoes or half fried fries with as much extras as you want. Also the vegan patties could be really tasty if they would only be grilled and warm inside, as well as the bacon but unfortunately it was only greasy fried and still cold inside. Maybe it was just bad luck but I couldn't eat it. Too bad to waste so much money on a disappointment like that but if you urgently need to eat and don't have another option... Go for it

Pros: Friendly staff, Menu option, Various vegan options

Cons: Preparation of food is bad, That's why taste is bad as well, Feels uncomfortable

yay for vegan fast food! - Edit

You can take your non veggie friends here too and you both walk off happy. The vegan burgers were are really great but the french fries never impress me. However you can grab mashed potatoes in stead and thats really good.

Pros: friendly staff, vegan, vegetarian burgers plus for omnivores

Awesome vegan fast food - Edit

A fast food place with lots of very tasty vegan options. Their mashed potatoes are excellent, as are the vegan cheeseburgers. Extremely generous opening-hours.

Pros: Good opening-hours, Fast and friendly service, Reasonable prices

Review by a local - Edit

Since I live in Gothenburg, I have eaten here several times. My personal favourites are their bacon burger and kebab with vegan sauce and mashed potato. My guess is that the kebab dish weighs around one kg, so it's a lot of food.

I personally don't like their fries; it has a metal-y taste to it. Their mash though is almost as good as my mothers.

It is pretty expensive for being street food, but on the other hand you understand why, considering the quality of the food and the variety.

Another nice thing is its opening hours; if you're out bar-hopping on Avenyn, this is the place to visit before going home.

They recently renovated the place, now it has indoor seating, but really it's just a counter with stools since it's crammed onto a traffic island.

Pros: Food quality, Variety, Location and opening hours

Cons: Somewhat expensive

The Worlds Best Vegan Fast Food!!!!! - Edit

Visited on 26th September 2012. My Girlfriend and I randomly met the owner the night before when we visited Old Corner (see the Goteborg listings). I asked him to recommend me something to have, he suggested the Kebab, Giorgia had the vegi bacon burger. I can honestly say that the meals we had contained the best faux meat I've ever tasted. The vegan menu here is sizable but in my excitement I forgot to take a note of all the other dishes. The guy who runs this place has in-depth knowledge and really cares about the products he is selling. There is a small area to dine inside what looks to be pretty new premises (it looks different to the picture listed, it's now a permanent building). I cannot recommend enough, I wish I could give it 10 cows!

Pros: Vegan fast food to die for, Knowledgeable staff, Very clean and hygenic

Great fast food! - Edit

We took the advice of the last reviewer, bought our lunch and sat on the steps of the Art Museum in the sunshine - bliss! Food was really tasty and each portion was made individually to our specific order - no pre-made burgers here. Two of the group had soy 'bacon' burgers with salad and vegan dressing, and I had the most delicious vegan bratwurst with mashed potato - yum! The vegan menu is displayed very clearly in the window and the chap behind the counter was helpful & friendly.

Pros: Lots of choice, Inexpensive, Tasty

Impressive choice - Edit

It is a great location, and impresses non-vegans with what it offers.

It takes a bit of time if there is a queue and then you have to think of somewhere to sit and eat, it. On a warm day, why not take it to the steps of Museum of Art on Götaplatsen?

On a cold day, at least it is the kind of food you can eat while you walk. Remember to say you want the vegan version of whatever burger or hot dog you order as they do meat versions as well.

Pros: Choice, Location

Fantastic little takeaway food place - Edit

I loved this place, there were loads of vegan options and there was a lot of information on it on the boards around the kiosks - which is always good when you think there's so much there that's vegan that you don't quite believe it! I had the bratwurst and the regular korv (hotdog), both were excellent, the special comes with mashed potato and the owner is really friendly and said their his homegrown potatoes and even they are vegan. He speaks some English too. I went back twice and would eat there daily if I could :-)

Pros: Value, Quality, Choice

Cons: Takeaway only

definitely worth you while! - Edit

i've been here more times than i can count, try to get to this place everytime i'm in gothenburg.
nice owner who really tries to get people to eat vegan.
looove the vegan kebab and the garlic or hamburger dressing.

the two for one happy hour is also one of the best ideas ever!

Pros: central, awesome food, happy hour

Cons: no seating area

Return to Gothenburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jonsborg closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3412 times since Jan 2010.