First Review by nightand

No longer serves meals - Edit

Nice little place with good coffee and vegan cake, but no longer serves any other food. The website is out of date and still says they do food.

Pros: Nice coffee and cake , Has soya milk

Cons: No food apart from cake

worth a visit. - Edit

Went there as we found it on happy cow and of course we had o pay them a visit. Got there and found that you can park out the front but with only a 30 minute parking allowed. Anyhow, We had the bean burger and chargrilled hummus sandwich, followed by the vegan cream tea. The food was good and so was the cream tea. But I would for sure recommend vegans to pay them a visit. P.s. Ask about the vegan pancakes :-)

Pros: Vegan cream tea , Good quality food , Spacious

Cons: need new outside tables

Never again! - Edit

We visited Johnnys cafe in May 2013 during our stay in Hayle and will never be going again. We had our 2 young children with us much to the distain of the lady serving. We were not greeted, just had a menu thrust at us, when it came to ordering I was sorely tempted to ask if a smile cost extra! My children were well behaved and polite, the lady could have done with a lesson in manners from them! He snatched the menu from my year old sons hands which upset him. The food was ok but expensive and the atmosphere was non existent. I'm shocked that people even go there!

Pros: Ok food

Cons: Expensive, Rude staff, No atmosphere

Great place - Edit

This is the best Veggie place in Cornwall hands down
Really up to date and airy space with a small shop for food and local clothing.
There is a menu to choose from plus panini's and breakfasts on the board as well as changing specials
Lovely coffee & my treat as I only ever drink Decaff & soya when I go out and this is really, really good especially if Claire makes it :)
It's not noisy either, busy but calm and relaxed

Love, love this place and yes still going*

Pros: Service, Food, Choices

Cons: Out of way, not open sundays

Vegan pancakes mixed berries and maple syrup Mmmm - Edit

Hayle has been a while catching up with some other parts of Cornwall (unless there's another veggie place there I haven't heard of) but now it's caught up with avengence. I'd really recommend this place.

The interior is light and airy, a kind of shabby chic with menus etc scrawled up on the wall... I mean, in a good way...

The menu is straightforward. I had a burger (5.95). Nothing ground breaking about a vegan burger I suppose. But this was pretty exceptional - a homemade burger, with exquisitely roasted vegetables as a garnish, in a beautiful brown grainy bun (I think they're organic from a local baker), and with some Thai style dipping sauce (you know, the rice-vinegar/chilli/sugar kind, it's simple but I love it and it's a great idea with non-Thai food). And it came with a proper salad. Not the wizened lettuce and spongy slices of tomato, but springy and fresh with plenty of mixed seeds.

Aha, but maybe you want to have the (vegan) soup (I had a sip of some watercress, good stuff), so that you have room afterwards for the vegan pancakes (4.50) with hot mixed berries and maple syrup. I don't know why you can't get this sort of thing in more veggie places... simple but spectacularly done.

I had the old decaf soya latte as well, which was probably better than most coffee chains.

There's some outside seating (but not much and not that secluded, better off inside I think, good vibe) and a little health food store annex. I think they may start opening some evenings in November 2010, you'd have to check. Hope the place does ok and sticks around!

Has REMOVED: Johnny's Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1671 times since Dec 2008.