Johnny K's

Contact 902-420-1010

5246 Blowers St, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3J 1J7

Serves meat, vegan options available. Donairs place, added vegetarian-vegan donair, gyro, or kebab option. Open Mon-Thu 12:00am-2:00am, Mon-Sun 11:00am-12:00am, Fri-Sun 12:00am-5:00am.

Category: Lacto, Fast food, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by QuothTheRaven

Authentic taste of regional food - Edit

It's rare that there are veg places serving odd regional street food, but this place fits the bill, with seitan donairs (it's complicated, but basically a regional variation on the doner kebab). The default sauce is not vegan, so order carefully, but the seitan is excellent.

Pros: seitan

Cons: sauce not vegan

Vegan Donairrrrr....? - Edit

I tried this one drunken night- trying to satisfy a terrible craving for meat.. It did not do it for me.

The vegan meat option was terribly chewy..

I had gone their first weekend open and since then I've heard they've improved their recipe due to drunk veggo complainers like myself (huzzah!) haha

I look forward to trying one again some time on a warm summers evening- could be just what a buzzed me is looking for.

The donair sauce was wonderful. (not sure if vegan- I was transitioning from meat eater to veggo at the time so I didn't ask!)

Will try again for sure.

Happy Eating! xx

Pros: Vegan donair, Location (pizza corner), Local Business

Cons: Price, Tough on the jaw

Donairs!! - Edit

Lions and tigers and vegan donairs, oh my! Okay, so there's not really lions or tigers but I felt like being corny. :P

I had been wanting to try Johnny K's since they opened since they offer a vegetarian donair option. I had been holding off hoping they'd finally get vegan donair sauce but still no such luck but I had friends who told me it's good even without the sauce. I walked by today and say their trio deal of a drink, fries and donair for 9.99 and I couldn't resist.

The meal is HUGE! And I can't even tell you how beautiful the seitan is. Hubby and I made our own coconut milk donair sauce at home and it was delish and so filling!

My only complaint was the woman that worked there. The guy was fantastic and so nice but this woman came from out back, there was another gentleman waiting for food and she asked him if the donairs were his and he said no, he had a box and he just wanted onions and tomatoes. The woman went and put onions and tomatoes on mine even though he said they weren't his... A little weird and I felt bad and told the guy working what she did cause I don't like tomatoes or onions. He was very nice and made me a new one but just wanted to add that she wasn't very smart about that and needs to pay attention.

All and all yummy food for a good price!

Pros: Vegan option, Inexpensive , Huge portion

Cons: No vegan sauce

Return to Halifax Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Johnny K's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.