Johan and Nystrom

Contact +358-406619696

Kanavaranta 7C, Helsinki, Finland, 00160

Serves meat, vegan options available. Johan & Nystrom is a coffee and tea cafe by the sea. Offers light food, sandwiches, and a selection of raw vegan cakes. Ask to verify that cakes do not contain honey. Has Wi-Fi. Next door is Cafe Kokko. Open Mon-Fri 8:00am-6:00pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-6:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Organic, Juice bar, European, Finnish, Non-veg

First Review by minnahb

Cute cafe by the waterfront - Edit

Cute cafe by the waterfront! Has a cool modern laid back interior with comfy sofas, high ceilings, high beams, a loft area and outdoor seating. I enjoyed an oat milk latte the raw triple chocolate slice which was amazing, every mouthful melted in my mouth. Would highly recommend.
Disappointed they don't do any fresh juices like advertised.
All the staff where friendly and helpful and good wifi. Perfect for a pick me up coffee!

great location - Edit

It's close to the markets. I wish they were better about labeling vegan stuff, or I would give 4 stars. I had an incredible strawberry champagne tea that makes me want to go back tomorrow but I don't want to creep out the staff.

Free wifi, everyone working there spoke English, but didn't know exactly what was vegan offhand, and took a moment to consult each other. Not the end of the world, and the food was delicious. I also really liked the atmosphere and they happened to be playing some of my favorite bands.

I did order a cake without checking the price and it was 7,40€ which sucked but I'm on vacation so - oh well!

Cozy Café - Edit

Ran in to get a quick bite to eat and got myself a nice sandwich. the portion was a little too small and the price a little to high, but the flavour was really great although the bread tasted a little stale. I accompagnied the sandwich with a nice cup of hot chocolate made with oatmilk! I regret not having tried the cakes though.
Really cool staff and friendly people in a very cozy (hipster) atmosphere.

Pros: Cool staff, Cozy, Nice taste combos

Cons: Small portions, Rather high prices

Yummy vegan raw cakes and soy milk coffees - Edit

Located a bit outside the centre on the "Katajannokka" island, we probably would never had found Johan & Nyström's without a tipp by a friendly blogger.

As my hubby is a total cakeaholic, we wanted to test J&N despite only having 24 hour stay in Helsinki. Within those 24 hours we ended up going there twice, so that should say it all.

Best coffee (latte) I have ever drunk outside Ethiopia. They mix & rost their own coffee daily. Soymilk available!

All the cakes are raw & vegan. With 6-7 choices daily we were already slightly overwhelmed. Ended up trying "Snickers", sea-buckthorn-cheesecake and lingonberry-cheesecake. Everything was delicisious, and although the slices seemed quite small (for my German hubby), through their heavy structure they actually had the exact right size.

Pricing was ok for Finland. In the summer you can sit outside and enjoy the seaview. And if you liked your coffee very much, as this actually is a roastery, you can take it with you home! J&N also sell tees in dozens of varieties.

Pros: Excellent cakes, Very friendly staff, Sea view from the terrace in the summer

3 Responses

Sulotar I agree the place has the best coffee in Helsinki and I was also told by the staff that all the cakes were vegan. But when I looked through the list of ingredients I found out -to my great disappointment- that the sea-buckthorn-cheesecake was actually the only cake without honey in it!

I really liked the coffee and the sea-buckthorn-cheesecake but felt quite bad about the fact they had been telling customers all the cakes were suitable for vegans without finding out first what it actually means..

Return to Helsinki Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Johan and Nystrom closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1709 times since Jul 2013.