Joe Caribe

Contact 530-833-5333

13470 Lincoln Way (at Foresthill Rd ), Auburn, California, USA, 95603

Serves meat, vegan options available. Unique menu items like vegan nachos (loaded with sweet potatoes, curry, black beans, peanuts and cilantro) and vegan yellow curry noodles made with coconut milk and tomato curry bisque. Also has gluten free choices. Has three large open dining rooms, Bohemian feel, cozy, floor seating in cozy window nook, colorful.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Caribbean, Non-veg

First Review by TKoch

Very vegan friendly - Edit

I love this restaurant! It's all Caribbean food so most of it is made with coconut milk instead of dairy. The staff is knowledgeable about veganism and will answer any questions you have concerning the menu! Specific items I have had are the Veggie Curry Burrito without cheese, Yellow Curry Noodles, Veggie Curry over quinoa, the Island Slaw and the Tomato Curry Bisque soup. All are excellent, tasty, and filling! Love the staff here, I have never had a waiter/waitress that wasn't friendly and knowledgeable about vegan menu items. The caribbean atmosphere is adorable, and the restaurant is conveniently located off Interstate 80.

Pros: Excellent vegan food, Friendly staff, Moderate prices

Cons: Busy on holidays due to location

Chef is uncooperative, food is spicy hot - Edit

Ordered the vegan yellow curry noodles, spoke to server about about whether dish was spicy.Told him I can't do spicy due to prior ulcers. He reassured me it wasn't. Husband and son got vegan nachos, daughter got quinoa something.Food took forever even though there were only two other tables occupied.My dish was extremely spicy when it finally showed up.The waiter disappeared. Ten minutes later, I flagged down the other server, as ours had evaporated. He said that he would have the chef come talk to me. I explained the issue and he said he would dilute the sauce. He fixed it and it was delicious and not hot. The boys loved the vegan nachos, they were really good, but again, spicy. Daughter said the quinoa was ok.
Several months passed and we were on our way back to Reno again. We stopped in for lunch expecting the same quality of food. Boy, we were in for a shock! I don't know who was cooking, since this time when the same dish was fiery hot in spite of my warnings to the server to have the chef dilute the sauce, the chef refused to come to the table. I asked the server to have the dish diluted, rather than throw it out. The chef relayed back through the server that he didn't want to open another can of coconut milk. Wow! In all my years of dining out, I've never had a chef refuse to come to the table. It's just bad business. Then to compound the problem and refuse to remake an order he screwed up on? It was beyond the pale. My husband was really angry at the chef as I sat and watched them eat.Everything else that was vegan was hot. They finished up and I looked up somewhere for me to eat, as I was starving by now. By happy accident, I found a deli across the freeway that had an incredible vegan hummus wrap.We won't be returning to Joe Caribe.

Pros: Vegan nachos, very spicy!

Cons: Chef is uncooperative, Food is way too hot

Return to Auburn Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Joe Caribe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1108 times since Jan 2013.