Jiya's

Contact 09765599922

Shop 1, 2, 3, 14, Vanessa theatre complex, Beach road, Calangute, Goa, India, 403516

Serves Punjabi, Gujarati, Maharashtrian, South Indian, and the specialty is North Indian food. Family atmosphere. Special Punjabi dish called sarson ka saag aur makke ki roti which is unusal to find in any other restaurant in Goa. Location is near old petrol pump -- map is not exact -- please send exact coordinates to happycow! Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian

First Review by Sanna Lehtinen

Thumbs Down! - Edit

I have to say we didn't enjoy our eating experience at Jiya's at all. It's in a very crowded part of Goa, in Calangute. Big language barrier with waiter which is fine but firstly he didnt know what Vegan meant, and then he started wrongly assuring us that everything in the restaurant was Vegan. even the Paneer apparently. We ended up ordering some of the only curries that were obviously vegan, which even though they were listed as the mildest curries on the menu, were 10 times spicier than anything ive eaten in India, to the level of being unedible, my girlfriend is part Sri Lankan and grew up eating chilli and she couldn't eat it, i dont know if the lid of the chilli powder fell off whilst making the food or if it was done on purpose but we wern't getting good vibes there. The two guys running the place then preceded to stand about 1 metre away from us Staring at us eating without blinking the whole time, it made us very uncomfortable, as we paid the guy at the register gave us a very weird look and held up our 1000 rupee note to the light to check that it wasn't counterfit! I also ordered an Orange juice which was about 90% tap water, My partner and I love India, and we love Indian food but Jiya's is not the sort of place you go to, to get a nice meal. We arrived here after a nice day, happy, with good intentions and this is how we were treated, hands down the worst Veg restaurant Ive been to in India. There are plenty of awesome Veg places around Goa so don't waste you time here :(

Pros: Cheap

Cons: Bad Food, Unfriendly staff

Ok to eat in - Edit

Located behind a small touristy marketplace, diner-like Jiyas isn't exactly what we were waiting for. But the thing is, while in western countries veg. restaurants are different/alternative, in India pure-veg. restaurants are very common and dozens of them are not listed on Happy Cow. Jiya's has a large variety of trad. indian meals, most do contain milk. The food was ok, prices quite low. But not the best food we ate in Goa.

Return to Goa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jiya's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.