JivamukTea Cafe

Contact 212-353-0214

841 Broadway (at 13th, on the 2nd floor, downtown Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10003

Cafe located inside the Jivamukti Yoga School is open to the public. Counter service with seating for over 50. Mon-Fri 11:00am-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 11:00am-6:00pm

Category: Vegan, Organic, Fast food, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by button

Yoga and Food in Union Square - Edit

This is a great place to find refuge from the noise and people, nested on a 2nd Floor with large windows looking out onto union square area. I usually get a Yogie bowl of quinoa, black beans and steamed kale with one of their tasty sauces. I like coming here when I want to sit, eat, read a book, write and not feel like i'm going to be rushed out of the place.

Loved it - Edit

Best vegan food I could find in the area. The staff was really nice and even though some meals were taken off the menu that day, I found some really great dishes.

Pros: Excellent food, Spacious place, Healthy food

Cons: Small portions, Some things were taken off the menu, .

fantastic cafe! - Edit

The food here is delicious. The ingredients are very fresh and the flavor is simple yet beautiful. The atmosphere is very relaxed and informal. It's a great spot to hang out by yourself or with some friends. Highly recommended.

Pleasant cafe - Edit

Jivamuk Tea Cafe is located on the second floor in a yoga complex. The place is pleasantly informal, with some people working on their laptops or holding a meeting. The food is fine, with an adequate selection of soups, salads, sandwiches and desserts. We had the portobello panini pesto which was quite good. we also sampled the desserts - a cupcake and a brownie - also very nice.

a nice wholesome and simple meal - Edit

I really enjoyed my meal here. It was simple, the flavors weren't completely outstanding or very unique, but it was definitely good! I ordered a yogis choice bowl with spicy tempeh, brown rice, portobellos and avocado. It was great! (Mmmmmm the spicy tempeh!) but a little bit bland at first. Added a little soy sauce and ketchup and it did the trick. Would love to go back here, all the foods are very wholesome and I see a lot of potential here!

Healthy and Delicious Food - Edit

Cozy space to have a relaxing lunch or dinner especially after a yoga session. The food is very good and tastes great.

I love that they also have books and other yoga and workout accessories
along with sustainable, reusable eating utensils and beauty products.

Pros: Delicious Food, Relatively Quick Service, Healthy

Relaxed place in yoga studio - Edit

This place is somewhat like a cafeteria for a yoga studio. You order at the counter, then bring your food to a wooden table and bus your table when done. The atmosphere is relaxed and the food is very good and healthy. One thing to watch out for...the food is not inexpensive. It is not overpriced, but do not let the cafeteria feel lead you to forget that the bill can be as high as in a typical restauran?t

Pros: Tastes good, Relaxed, Healthy

Cons: Self service, Not inexpensive

Let's keep little gems like this alive! - Edit

the cafe was closed for a while, and I'm so glad it's back. It's healthy food, served and prepared with love. Simple and a great place to go if you want something low key or don't want to or can't spend the extra for wait service. the desserts are just OK to my mind - though pretty huge, but I love their smoothies, the dressings on the salads are delish. and it's a great healthy yoga atmosphere to eat in.

Pros: tasty and healthy food, calm atmosphere

Cons: can get overwhelmed by crowds

great joint - Edit

Aside from a $3.89 chocolate chip cookie (which was great but not worth 3.89), this was a great spot - comfortable cafe type - order-at-the-counter atmosphere, all vegan and mostly raw with a wide and creative variety of options for all sorts of tastes. Food was really tasty. No complaints - except for that $3.89 chocolate chip cookie.

is this place still around? - Edit

we went looking for it in late august, but when we entered what should be the door, there was a very narrow long hall and a guy almost "guarding it" from intruders (as us). it felt like a hotel or something, so we just turned and walked away.

Perfect casual dining - Edit

This is my favorite place to get lunch. All of the food is excellent, and the portions are rather generous. What really sets this place apart though is the atmosphere and the fact that it is nicely hidden from the crowds of people jamming Broadway. It really feels like a hidden little jewel when you find it.

As for the prices: they may be slightly steep, but how else could they stay in business providing fresh organic ingredients, satisfying portions, and thoughtfully prepared meals? The service is also excellent, and the place is very clean & tidy. Very impressive.

Pros: Everything

Cons: Nothing

Perfect Manhattan oasis - Edit

I was tempted to write a terrible review of this place so that it stays the peaceful, slow paced respite for Manhattan that it is, and all the people falling all over each other down at Whole Foods stay there. However, I thought better of it and here goes the truth. This is my new favorite NYC spot! It's a casual deli-style counter service place tucked in a yoga studio complex. The food is all super fresh and tasty. (I think my favorite might have been the brownie I had for dessert!) The staff we're kind as could be and they try to operate in a completely eco fashion - so all the dine-in food is with glass and silverware, the takeout food is compost-able bio-plastic.

Pros: Peaceful Atmosphere , Very fresh food, Wi-Fi

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has JivamukTea Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5239 times since Aug 2007.