Jintana Thai

+44-01539445002

Lake Rd, Lake District, Bowness-on-windermere, England, LA22 9DJ

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has a large vegetarian selection, of which most are vegan or can be made vegan, including starters, mains, veg noodle/rice dishes. Also offers a veg set menu. Has branches in Ambleside and Kendal too. NOTE: Oct 2016 reported heavy use of fish paste - please confirm whether there are any vegan options! Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-2:30pm, 5:00pm-10:30pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Thai, Non-veg

First Review by Braidy

Excellent food - Edit

You have to go up a flight of stairs to get in here. Cheap and cheerful, colourful Thai-themed interior. I was especially tickled by the toilet doors, which have a picture of (I assume) a Thai man and woman instead of "Gents" and "Ladies" signs. Front of house staff are Thai and don't speak English as a first language, but certainly know what a vegan is and which dishes are vegan (I wish native English-speakers always knew this...). They suggested substitutes when a dish was not available. Prices are moderately expensive. The vegetarian platter was great for a starter (between two people). Curries were delicious though quite small, so I recommend a side dish of rice as well. Banana spring rolls were nice for dessert but I especially recommend the sago with coconut cream topping. No-one could imagine that a dish made of sago, and which looks like pale green fish eyes, could possibly be so delicious. Full marks!

Update: apologies, when I later asked a member of staff, he said that many of the dishes in the "vegetarian" section contain fish sauce (and didn't understand why this was a problem), so to get an edible meal you have to specify that you want a non-fish-sauce meal (they complied with this when asked). So this is not a very vegetarian-friendly place after all. Still love the food, though.

Updated from previous review on 2015-01-18

Pros: Good food, Helpful staff, Cosy interior

Cons: Range of vegan dishes is limited, flipping fish sauce!

Bit rubbish In all honesty! - Edit

Im a vegan and the "inter-web" says this place has vegan. It is in some respects but the vegetarian section isn't well vegetarian!! All the curries are made with fish sauce. Anyway I had a stir fry thing and well the portions are s***. I'm getting some chips from the chippy soon I'm starving hoping the copious amounts of beer may fill me up!! Which by the way they serve only in bottles (AKA - mouthful) The staff are lovely I'll give them that, the food well mine tasted ok but honestly I feel like I've just had a packet of crisps!!! Will never set foot in the place even my girlfriend who is over a foot shorter than me and 7 stone wet is hungry!!!

Pros: Staff are nice, ........that's it!!!!!

Cons: Portions are terrible, Worst £30 I've ever spent, , No draft beer, It's expensive,

NEITHER VEGAN NOR VEGGIE - Edit

I went to Jintana Thai this weekend as the only option around for vegan food. However, when I asked about vegan options, the waitress didn't know what vegan meant. When I explained, she said she doubted any dishes would be suitable because even the vegetarian dishes have fish sauce in them! I was quite shocked and asked why they were called vegetarian if they included fish sauce.. There was no warning on the menu either.
The waitress replied that her boss (the owner) was vegetarian but he ate fish, so that's why they are called vegetarian dishes. I replied saying that he wasn't vegetarian then, but a pescetarian!

Anyway, nothing suitable here for veggies of any nature. Most disappointed. Perhaps it should be removed from Happy Cow.

Cons: Nothing vegan, Nothing vegetarian

Return to Bowness-on-windermere Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jintana Thai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.