Jing Ping Thai

• Vegetarian
Contact 02-23224954

7, Sec. 2, RenAi Rd, Zhongzheng District (at Hangzhou South Rd), Taipei, Taiwan, 100

京品泰味, at 台北市中正區仁愛路二段7號, is a trendy vegetarian Thai restaurant that gives a twist to traditional Chinese cuisine with Thai herbs. Thai cuisine and desserts, too. Uses mock meats.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Thai, Taiwanese

First Review by cj the taniwha

Vegan, OR NOT??? - Edit

When Jing Ping opened a few years ago I was delighted to finally have a veg thai restaurant in Taipei, because I sometimes really crave Thai food. I took their word that it was all vegan (including the fake meat) and promoted their restaurant on my blog.

So I was a bit concerned to see that it's been changed to "vegetarian" on Happycow, and to hear vegan Taiwanese friends describe it as "mostly vegan", especially after they again told me that their food is vegan. So as the Happycow Ambassador for Taipei, and because I still recommend them on my blog and am writing a vegan travel guide to Taiwan I thought I'd try to figure it out.

So I visited twice, once when they were open and once when they were standing around waiting to open, and despite being as polite as possible was met with the same cold dismissal: "Our fake meat is all vegan; no more questions please." Of course this *could* in theory be true, but 99% of vegetarian restaurants in Taiwan insist that their fake meat is vegan, while 99% of fake meat in Taiwan contains dairy, (battery hen) eggs and often real meat. (Loving Huts are a notable exception, and most truly vegan restaurants use their products, if they use fake meat at all.) Jing Ping also uses fake fish, chicken and ham, which are the most likely to contain animal products (to closer mimic the flavour and texture of meat).

Vegetarians ok with this should get a reasonable meal, which the previous reviewer accurately described as "Chinese Thai fusion" - perfectly enjoyable but might leave those craving Thai flavours a little unsatisfied, especially given the high price tag. By far the best and most authentic Thai meal I've had in Taiwan was a red curry from Mianto, near Daan Park. Also, for anyone living here, the iVegan supermarket sells good Thai and other international ingredients.

Pros: Somewhat Thai-style food, Pleasant interior

Cons: Dubious "All vegan" claim, esp fake meat, Expensive

Chinese-Thai Fusion Restaurant - Edit

I have to admit I was a bit disappointed by this restaurant. I was expecting Thai food, but it was really Chinese food with some Thai characteristics. The Pad Thai didn't seem anything like Pad Thai to me; it was just Chinese noodles with a few crushed up peanuts on top. The green curry was good, but didn't have the distinct Thai flavor I was craving.

Overall, the food was good and the service was friendly (albeit slow). If you are in the neighborhood it might be fun to stop in. However, considering the price and the fact that I can find Chinese food anywhere in Taiwan, I probably won't be back.

Pros: Good Food, Friendly Service

Cons: Price, Slow Service, Not what I would call Thai food

Varied and tasty! - Edit

I don't often splurge on fancy vegetarian fare in Taipei, but this place is a real treat! A fave! Recommend going during the week where they have cheaper set meals.

They also have a takeout kiosk in Fuxing Sogo B2. These aren't ready-to-eat dishes though - you'll need to reheat them at home.

Cons: Pricey on weekends.

Excellent Veg Thai restaurant - Edit

This is an increasingly popular restaurant in Taipei and it probably pays to ring ahead and book a table. I took some omnivores who had not been to a veg restaurant in years and they loved it and want to go back. It has an extensive menu and while there may be some issues with communication as they only speak limited english there is a picture less and price less english menu. They have fake meat dishes for those who like it and veg dishes for people that don't. They are very knowledgeable and accommodating for vegans, although you made need to communicate this with something written in traditional Chinese characters. The pineapple fried rice, lemon 'chicken', pappaya salad, satay sticks were great, the rice noodles (too fishy tasting) and pattaya 'chicken' (lacking flavour) no so much.
There are not many options for Thai veg food in Taipei and I highly recommend it, they are really nice people and the restaurant deserves to thrive.

Pros: Tasty food, Large menu, Something for everyone

Cons: Bit pricey, No picture menu, Atmosphere

Return to Taipei Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jing Ping Thai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1863 times since Nov 2012.