Jina's

• Vegetarian
Contact 091-2226878

Wella Devala Road, Unawatuna, Sri Lanka,

Restaurant is located near south Ceylon. Menu includes brown bread, organic coffee, cakes, vegan milkshakes, vegan and vegetarian food. Large garden setting. Meditation classes offered. May have limited dishes during off season. Advanced bookings recommended.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Indian, International, Beer/Wine

First Review by cariad2

nothing too special - Edit

I was really looking forward to eating here after looking it up, but it wasn't anything special. I had two meals here, a lunch and dinner. several of the menu items weren't available (guacamole, lasagna) a little expensive for what you get.

Pros: it has a nice peaceful atmosphere, good for a change if you are getting bored of eati

Cons: a bit overpriced, long wait, several items not available

Great Service, Great Food - Edit

It was so nice to go to a restaurant and tell the owner/cook/waiter that I'm vegan and have him know exactly what I do and don't eat.
I had the Nachos (raw vegan style) and avocado salad. Both of which were very tasty.
The gentleman who owns the restaurant is extremely lovely, proud, passionate about food and helpful.

Great food, friendly staff - Edit

It was my absolut highlight in Unawatuna to find there this lovely place in the middle of typical loud and crowded tourist places.
Not all meals from the menu are always available and it might take some time to get your food (because it it freshly made) but it is worth it.
We ate there 3 times and were always very satisfied.

Pros: taste, nice atmosphere

Not sure what the fuss is about - Edit

Maybe we went on an off night, but we thought the food was very bland.
They didn't have some of the 'specials' of the day so we had an indian thali, with 4 curries and rice, plus a pigeon pie
The pigeon pie was ok, but small, while the curries were either spiced clumsily or very salty with little or no heat

Best in Unawatuna - Edit

Great restaurant. The service was good and, unusually for the area, they had everything available that we asked for. The menu is a combination of Indian, Sri Lankan and Mexican. It was all good. Highly recommended.

Pros: Tasty food, Good service, Varied menu

Nice food - Edit

We liked this place, had really nice food and some good vegan options, the waiter that served us barely spoke english and didn't know what vegan meant, but he ran off and got Jina (the owner) who spoke very good english and had a firm understanding on what vegan means. overall great relaxed place, i would definitly go back :)

Pros: Good food, Cheap

Fantastic restaurant - highly recommended - Edit

We stayed in Unawatuna for a week, eating at Jina's for breakfast and dinner everyday. During that time we worked our way through most of the menu, and didn't have a bad meal once. The meals are all freshly prepared, and include many home made items (eg freshly baked bread and home made soya milk). The meals were delicious and Jina is keen to accomodate guests requests eg spicy curries for myself and my boyfriend, including our favourite dishes while at the same time cooking a simple pasta (minus the lovely veg that were included on the menu) for our fussy little daughter.

It's a small restaurant with a friendly, relaxed feel set in lovely gardens - we saw beautiful birds feeding on flowers just inches away from our table. The friendly owner enjoyed showing us around, pointing out the different plants he was growing and talking about his future plans.

Jina's is very commited to environmentalism eg using organic ingredients where possible and not offering straws with cold juices (as most restaurants do) as they are not biodegradable.

I'd recommend this restaurant to anybody visiting Sri Lanka. It even has vegan cake! What more could you ask for? It was an absolute gem.

Pros: excellent food, very friendly staff, beautiful garden

Cons: none

Return to Unawatuna Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jina's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1221 times since Mar 2008.