Jin Hai Ge Su Si Guan

• Vegetarian
Contact 0755-8365-9996

73 Nanyuan Road, Huaqiang South, Futian East (at opposite Shangbu Dasha), Shenzhen, China,

Chinese name 金海阁素食馆(南园店), address 福田区南园路73号(南园路口上步大厦对面). Small veggie restaurant, busy at peak meal hours. No English spoken but has picture menu. Try the lemon chicken, roast pepper beef, and sweet and sour pork. Directions by metro: Kexue Guan Station, exit D. Leave the exit, turn right on Shennan, and right at the signal on Shangbu, walk south, cross Nanyuan at the signal and veer right, restaurant is on the left.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese

First Review by CrystalS

Many choices - Edit

The menu has many options, a lot of different fake meat and fish dishes and vegetables. Seems to be a Buddhist place, so no garlic or onions (at least none that I could tell of).
Can't tell anything about the ingredients (if vegan or not) cause our mandarin was only enough to point at the pictures in the menu.

If you have a sensitive stomach, be careful with eating too much of the fake meat dishes.

I came with people who usually eat meat, they enjoyed the place as well!

Really good! - Edit

Note: The English name of the subway station is 'Science Museum'.

(that took me a little while to figure out. Other than that the directions are clear and this place is very easy to find)

This restaurant has everything that you could ask for.

The menu caters to both this who want mock meats, and those who prefer whole vegetables. The location is convenient (less than 5 mins walk from the subway) and it is easy to find. Although no English, the picture menu is very clear. And the restaurant is pleasantly quiet, and notably doesn't allow smoking. People were going outside to smoke.

The food when it came was delicious, and I felt very reasonably priced. The portions were generous.

No English is spoken and there is none in the menu, but the staff were friendly none-the-less, and were sympathetic that we shared no common language. And every menu item has a clear and accurate picture, so ordering was absolutely no problem.

I really liked this place. I hope I have the time to come back before I leave Shenzhen.

Pros: Convenient location, Clear picture menu and pleasant atmosphere, Delicious food

Great Place to Eat - Edit

My wife and I went to Jin Hai Ge Su Si Guan last night. It is all that the previous reviewers said - good prices (we agree with the "1 pickle" rating), excellent service (the delicious food arrived very promptly), good sized portions (we filled up on two dishes plus some scallion pancake), easy to get to (close to Ke Xue Guan Metro station), and a friendly atmosphere. Did I say atmosphere? If you are going for the fancy decor, spiffy waitresses, chandeliers, and all the bells and whistles - don't bother - you are in the wrong place.

But if you like cheap and cheerful, and loads of honest, good old fashioned service and value for money, you have come to the right place! The menu is all in Chinese but there are good pictures of each dish, and you know that whatever you point to won't have any dead animals in it! Thoroughly recommended.We will certainly be going there again as there are many dishes we want to try!

Incredible steamed dumplings! - Edit

Enjoyed an excellent lunch here yesterday.

Arrived at 13.15 to miss the big lunchtime rush.

When you see the low menu prices do not expect small portions.

Superb dishes!

Updated from previous review on Monday January 12, 2009
This is a great little restaurant / tea shop - super-popular with local office workers - offering 95% vegan choices - enthusiastic & friendly staff.

No English spoken - they have a pictorial menu so ordering is easy.

Super-fresh ingredients used.

You can easily peep into the kitchen also - right next to the book counter.

I like to visit mid-morning or mid-afternoon when it is not so busy.

Incredible steamed dumplings! - they are so good that whenever I visit I also get a "take away" of uncooked ones & steam them at my apartment the next day!

Several of my Hong Kong friends "order" boxes of dumplings if they know that someone is visiting Jin Hai Ge Su Si Guan!

They have another larger restaurant in Shen Zhen also - it will be up on HappyCow ASAP.

Ground floor location - easy access.

The owner prints Buddhist "veggy" books & distributes many of them free of charge!
Updated from previous review on Monday January 12, 2009

Very tasty and inexpensive - Edit

Visiting Shenzhen for a few days and found really good directions to this restaurant on another local website. (I have posted the directions at the end of this review.)
I very easily found the restaurant using the directions.

This is a small, local place with no English on the menu. Luckily there were pictures of the all the dishes, so I just picked out a couple of dishes by pointing. Everything was VERY flavorful and delicious, as was the tea.
It's so nice to eat at a restaurant in China where you can rest assured that nothing is cooked in meat or contains meat!

Below are the directions. (I found them at http://shenzhenbuzz.com)

DETAILS: Near the southwest corner of Shangbu Lu and Nanyuan Lu. You can walk west from the back side of CITIC Plaza; it's on the south side, across from Shangbu Dasha.
BY METRO: Kexue Guan Station, Exit D. Leave the exit; turn right on Shennan, and right at the signal on Shangbu. Walk south. Cross Nanyuan at the signal and veer right; the restaurant is on the left.
BY BUS: 14, 62, 63, 214, 302, 377 Zhongxing Chengshi Guangchang (中信城市广场) (behind CITIC Plaza)

Pros: Tasty, Good Value, Nice Staff

Cons: Basic Decor, No English on Menu

Return to Shenzhen Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jin Hai Ge Su Si Guan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1767 times since Jan 2009.