CLOSED: Jiaheyuan Vegetarian

• Vegan

Contact 86-010-62261846

Jia 5, Deshengmen West St., Xicheng District, Beijing, China,

Hidden in a courtyard of houses. They do not use dairy products for all of their dishes. Their version of pizza is actually a kind of chinese pancake, using their own house-made vegan salad sauce. APRIL 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN/CLOSED.

Category: Vegan, Chinese

First Review by xfjtjl

A very homey place - Edit

I really enjoyed my visit to this restaurant. It is not as difficult to find as the instructions on this site make it sound. It is tucked away in an apartment complex, but it's pretty much the only thing there that could conceivably be a restaurant, so it's not so hard to spot.

I had a really delightful time here. I was the only English-speaking person in the restaurant, which is rather like someone's front room. It was full of happy young people talking quietly. The server spoke a little English, but she also helped me very patiently with my Mandarin, which was very kind of her. She recommended some curried vegetables and stuffed tofu to me, which were delicious. The food is 'home-style': nourishing and good, but not very fancy (which is fine by me). It's not expensive.

At the end of my meal, the lovely server gave me a book (in Chinese) about vegetarian cooking and health, which I really appreciated. It's something nice to read to help me learn Chinese. It was a charmed sort of place.

Pros: Good food, Inexpensive, Homey atmosphere

Cons: A little isolated

Pleasant - Edit

I tried this restaurant after coming to Happycow and I must say, it is quite a hidden little gem. The food is quite good, moderately priced. We ordered 3 dishes and our bill came out to be around 100. The place was quiet and there was a nice vibe/quiet music that gave the place a good feel. Quite clean, tasty dishes, good for vegetarians (with many options to choose from).

Pros: good food, no smoke/alcohol, friendly staff

Cons: hidden location

Good Food - Edit

This is a good restaurants for Vegetarians. They had good variety of food. I went there with my meat eating colleagues, and they also liked some of the dishes. The owner speaks little english; so I could go and manage to order on my own; which is very helpful.

When we went there for lunch; they had lit incense stick; so there was a nice fragrance that created ambiance of purity and divine.

Pros: Good Food, Ambiance, Owner speaks little english

Cons: Hard to find

Good - Edit

We enjoys the hotplate beancurd and the chinese "pizza". The ambience is pleasant. Some Buddhist materials are freely distributed. Do remember to ask for less oil and less salt, as the usual beijing restaurants' foods are oily and salty. Despite this, we still feels that it is too salty and oily.

Pros: friendly, nice ambience, relaxing

Cons: slow, mosquito during autumn nite

Return to Beijing Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Jiaheyuan Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 156 times since Jul 2009.