Jhanjay Vegetarian Thai Cuisine - Wallingford District

• Vegetarian
Contact 206-632-1484

1718 N 45th St (at Wallingford Ave, Wallingford District), Seattle, Washington, USA, 98103

Extensive vegetarian menu includes mockmeat dishes, traditional Thai food, and lunch specials.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Thai, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by tingja

Best Thai we've had - Edit

We eat a fair amount of Thai food and have lived in four cities over the last four years. Jhanjay is easily the best. Highly recommended. Tons of options. All are vegetarian and most are easily made vegan. The "spicy patties" are amazing, but not at all spicy. Just do yourself a favor and order them.

Vegans Beware! - Edit

I've eaten here (including the Ballard location) about 5 times now and have gotten sick 2 of those times. Vegans and allergic people (like me) should know that they put milk in some of their sauces. The peanut sauce is an example. I wrongly assumed it to be like other peanut sauces and wound up sick. My bad. Otherwise, the place is nice with friendly staff.

Pros: decor, location, staff

Cons: they put milk in some sauces that don't

I go there about three times a week. - Edit

This place is walking distance from my house, so being a lazy vegan; this is my go-to place. The food here beats any other Thai restaurant I've been; even the meat-friendly ones.

One of the best things about Jhanjay is that it doesn't try to substitute meat dishes (although the menu says that option is available). Jhanjay makes vegetables well. Something that is sadly lacking in a lot of vegetarian restaurants. It's all about the sauce.

I would recommend the green curry if that's your thing. Best I've had. The rest are great too, except the pineapple curry is a little sweet.

My staples are the Broccoli Lovers, Spicy Eggplant, Rama Garden, Spicy Noodles, and my favorite is the Ginger Delight.

I did not care for their Pad Thai, Sweet & Sour, or any of the soups I've tried so far.

For apps I've had the Tofu Satay, Corn Fritters, and Fresh Spring Rolls; all of which were good. And the papaya salad is excellent. Try it particularly if you've never heard of it and it sounds horrible to you.

The staff is always attentive and friendly. The prices are very reasonable, around $9 a dish. Oh yeah, they are open until 10 which is a plus!

Pros: Good Food, Nice Atmosphere, Close to my house ;)

Excellent - Edit

I thought this place was great. I ordered the spicy noodles as spicy as they offered them, and they were pretty close to spicy enough. Whenever I get Thai food, I always order it as spicy as they offer, but 99 times out of 100, it's never even close to spicy enough. This was fairly close, though I still added some chili paste. The noodles they used were super wide, almost like lasagna noodles, but I liked it that way. A good selection of vegetables in my dish sealed the deal. I ate with four other people and everyone else thought it was amazing as well. Two of the people weren't even vegetarian, but they thought the food was amazing. I would definitely return here if I lived in Seattle (and I wish I did!)

Pros: all vegan, large menu, large portions

Cute little place, check it out for some goodThai - Edit

I've only eaten here once and over all I wasn't overwealmed by this place, but I enjoyed myself and would definately return. I ate with my wife who is not a vegetarian and hates spicy food and she really enjoyed her meal, she had the mushroom cakes for the fake meat with some noodles and veggies and I thought it was really good as well(except that it reminded me of beef too much, can a fake meat be too convincing?) I am a vegan and love spicy food and I did pretty well myself. Though next time I will ask for much spicier then a 3 star. It is possible that some of the food I ate was not vegan, I asked but I wasn't sure of the convidence of their answer. The place is small but I quite liked it and we went before the diner crowd, so we pretty much had the place to ourselves. I would like to go back and try the lunch specials, we got there a little too late. The spring rolls were underwealming, for both me and my wife, but the entrees were tasty, too oily for me, but that is a common complaint of mine at many asian restaurants and I don't think too much a reflection on the food. The brown rice, was fragrant and quite tasty and our choice of tea was perfect on a cool day. The total was a little higher then I like to pay, but not too unreasonable for what we ate. As I said, I would return, especially for the lunch specials, it's a nice little place and if you're like me and have meat eaters in the family, this place will work for you as well.

Pros: nice sit down feel, next to open kitchen, many vegan options

Cons: a tiny pricey for me, must ask for vegan options

I don't get it? - Edit

This place is so over rated. I have tried it three times and had a very disappointing experience each time. There so many better restaurants than this. I have come to the conclusion people in Wallingford like nice decor and cannot distinguish between good or bad food. Last time I was here was with my son. We ordered a dish and asked for 2 star spiciness. The dish came and it was more like 5 stars. My son could not eat it. The waiter said something like that's the way it is. I will never go there again. I recommend people try In The Bowl Vegetarian Thai on Capitol Hill instead. The decor in not good, but the food is great.

Pros: None

Cons: Poor flavors, Unreliable spice, Bad Service

My new favorite restaurant - Edit

After our first visit we could not stop thinking and talking about the food. Everything is fresh, flavorful and delicious. The pad thai and spicy green beans are our favorites; the pineapple curry, which we ordered on a whim, was creamy and delicious. Over time I hope to try everything. We almost never want to eat out anywhere else, because we always feel like we've wasted an opportunity to go to Jhanjay.

The atmosphere is lovely, airy and clean, and the service has been very, very friendly and attentive. A gem!

Some items contain egg, but you can ask for vegan.

Pros: delicious!, warm friendly staff, great atmosphere

Cons: None!

Very tasty - Edit

Very cute restaurant not very big but the food is delicious and fresh tasting. I went today with my family for Mother's Day. They had a seat for the baby and the head chef came out after the meal and said hello. I loved the service! It was quick and friendly. There was a rush going on with no seating available when we got there around 5 ish on a Sunday. The place was packed. But we got seated in 3 minutes!

The faux meat was delicious and seasoned well. Nothing salty or too spicy. I have tasted a few of the dishes and they were all excellent.

Try it I doubt if you will be disappointed. I called ahead to see when they closed and they said "tonight 10:30pm" I wonder if that means it changes? I say get reservations if you can because it was very crowded when we went. But I tasted my son's Basil Fried Rice and I've tasted better. I had the Phad Kee Mau and it was great.

Pros: Service, Faux meat option, Food

Cons: Very Small, VERY LOUD

Yummy Thai food in a nice atmosphere! - Edit

Great location in Wallingford, friendly service and delicious food...and reasonably priced... what a great find! I had the "garlic and pepper" stir-fry and was really happy with the quality of the food- the sauce wasn't heavy and it was very flavorful.
We'll definitely go back soon!

Pros: Good food, Nice atmosphere, Friendly Service

Yummy! - Edit

Ate here the other night - it was so good! I loved all the veggies in my dish. I had soft tofu, but my friend had mushroom cakes in his dish, and he keeps raving about them. The place is really cute; we'll go back!

what else do u want from thai food... - Edit

along the time i-thai people- went to seattle last month ..the variety of thai style vegan dishes and real thai spicy ingredients make me feel like EAT AT HOME ..and also the staff r very nice..i miss you jhanjay!!

Pros: nice staff, nice decor, reliably vegan food

Return to Seattle Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jhanjay Vegetarian Thai Cuisine - Wallingford District closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2489 times since Aug 2007.