Jewel of the Crown

Contact 480-949-8000

7373 Scottsdale Mall Ste 1, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA, 85251

Serves meat, vegan options available. Indian food restaurant with a full bar. Although the menu features the typical meatstuff, it also offers a long list of vegetarian dishes several of which are vegan - let the staff know if you are vegan. Nice decor.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by stevensmara

The Crown is Missing Some Jewels - Edit

After several years of abstinence from Indian food, I thought a visit to Jewel of the Crown would give me warm fuzzies all over, but instead of being overcome with flavor, comfort, and satiation my vegetarian meal left me feeling unsatisfied and underwhelmed.

Service was A+ but food averaged to a B- only because of the hearsay I have about the meat raised the grade. If you're dining with a carnivore, I suggest you order mixed kabobs ($20) Their presentation was more appealing than anything else on the table.

For me, flavor seemed to come from only the chutneys. One red, which was mild and tasted like tamarind; the other green and spicy with cilantro and other herbs my tongue couldn't recognize. In fact, chutney saved the meal. We ordered a third chutney, mango ($3 - not worth it), which isn't made in-house. It is overly sweet with chunks of candied fruit. Unimpressive.

Samosa appetizer was served with a spoonful of chana. The breading was fried right and not too thick. Not spicy at all, so I slathered it in green chutney.

Bharta Makni ($12) came in a hot pot with tea candle underneath and still simmering on arrival. The menu describes it as eggplant mixed with onion and tomatoes, but it was an unrecognizable pureed dish with mushy green peas mixed in. I could barely taste the spice so I slathered it in green chutney.

Vegetable curry was served chunky but with all starchy veggies and I quickly lost interest.

Unfortunately having an underwhelming meal leaves my mind to wander. I began annoyingly verbalizing comparisons to other restaurants. Minute details which I would usually ignore became bothersome:

1. Is this garlic naan? Really? Garlic?
2. Where's the garlic?
3. Do you taste any garlic?
4. Not worth $3. One, yes, but not three.
5. This is the first indian restaurant where I haven't received a small plate of pappadum upon seating.
6. We have to pay for pappadum?
7. Isn't naan suppose to be fluffy bread?
8. I remember naan being fluffy.
9. This naan is flat on one side. It's like cracker texture.
10. Where's the garlic?
11. I still don't taste garlic?
12. They don't even offer mints or licorice at the end.

So, three out of five for Jewel of the Crown.
Yes, I would go again, but not anytime soon.

Pros: Vegetarian options without beans, Meal simmers in hot pot

Cons: Lacking spiciness, No pre-meal vittles to nibble

Return to Scottsdale Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jewel of the Crown closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1111 times since Mar 2013.