Jerk Shack

n/a

12 Church St, Manchester, England, M4 1PN

Serves meat, vegan options available. Caribbean street food place serving vegan options including sweet potato & spinach fritters, jerk jackfruit on dumpling with gravy & slaw, hard veg stew, sweet potato & black bean curry and sweet potato fries. Vegan dishes are cooked separately. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-7:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Fast food, Take-out, Caribbean, Non-veg

First Review by Veganolive1

I'm alright, Jack(fruit) - Edit

Fantastic array of vegan dishes, there were 3 curries to choose from when we visited alongside numerous side orders.

We went for the breadfruit curry, I requested veg instead of rice (no problem), plantain, 3 fritters and a dumpling. The staff were really knowledgeable and told us the utensils were kept separated for vegan items, and all cooked separate.

Fantastic value for money, great flavours and very generous portion sizes. Can't wait to return!

Pros: Knowledgeable and friendly staff, Large selection of vegan items, Great value

Cons: Serves meat

wish I could give this place five stars for taste alone - Edit

Best jack fruit I've had, lovely vibe and brilliant prices

They always ask if you're vegan too just to make sure they get it right

Pros: taste, price

Cons: needs more vegan options

Caribbean Vegan Options - Edit

I have walked past Jerk Shack several times, noticing they offer vegan dishes, cooked separately, so went for lunch today with my husband.   I had a chat on social media with Craig, about their vegan options including sweet potato and spinach fritter, jerk jackfruit, sweet potato fries, hard vegan stew, fried plantain, breadfruit curry or sweet potato and black bean curry.

We loved the casual vibe, when you enter, with large communal tables and bench seating, with the colourful menu board, over the counter. I chose jerk jackfruit, served on a dumpling, resembling a split bread roll, vegan gravy, whilst hubby chose sweet potato and black bean curry with rice, both dishes served with vegan slaw and salad leaves.

There were large bottles of chilli sauce and what I think was mango sauce on the tables, so you could slosh on, as much as you wanted.   We both loved the delicious, healthy food and I loved the dumpling, having visions of it being tough and doughy, but the complete opposite and even better when it soaked up the gravy and was totally moreish.

I had a quick chat with owner Craig, who was very enthusiastic and I think, as more vegans visit, the options will grow, I will definitely revisit.

Updated from previous review on 2017-03-13

Pros: Vegan options, Vegan labelling, Vegan options cooked separately

Return to Manchester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jerk Shack closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.