Jean's Vegetarian Kitchen

Contact 416-778-1388

1262 Danforth (at Greenwood), Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M4J1M6

Serving Thai-Malay vegetarian cuisine in a minimal 30-seat room. Items such as pad thai noodles, green curry with vege duck, red curry with vege meatballs, spicy eggplant, stir-fried bitter mustard greens, and honey-battered banana. Tue-Sun 5:00pm-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Thai, Take-out, Malaysian

First Review by MissMolly

Best Veg Thai - Edit

The main course noodle/rice dishes are always very large and full of flavour. Many different options, and many different mock meats to pick. I've tried everything on the menu but now always go back for the (I'm spelling this wrong) meegorang.
Updated from previous review on Thursday January 22, 2015

Pros: Big Portions, Variety, Flavour

Cons: Busy Place At Dinner, A Little Slow But Worth It

Get the pumpkin soup! - Edit

Love Jean's! I have gone three times now and often order pick up. I find their appetizers a bit disappointing so I suggest skipping them. Instead try the pumpkin soup which is amazing! The sticky saffron rice, green curry, and pad thai (without egg) are my favs!

Pros: delicious, inexpensive, very accommodating

Cons: lots of fake meats (not a fan), appetizers are disappointing

casual and delicious - Edit

Jean's is a busy place with people coming and going, including a busy take-out crowd, and comfortable cafe-style tables. The food comes very quickly and is good. Definitely try the pumpkin soup and the green curry!

Everything tastes fresh - Edit

Ate here last summer while visiting Toronto. I ordered the laksa, since it's hard to find a vegetarian version of that dish, and I wasn't disappointed. The homemade soy milk tasted really fresh and delicious. The Singapore Noodles were nothing special, similar to what you can get at any pan-Asian restaurant. Wish I lived in the area so I could try other unique items on the menu!

Pros: large portions, good service

The way it should be - Edit

First, the chef was very friendly and very helpful, as were the waitresses. Except for the egg, which I had them hold, the Pad Thai was the way it should be - very flavorful and with a slice of lime, a few carrot slivers bean sprouts but not quite hot enough for me. The addition of some hot sauce remedied that. The crispy spring rolls were great.

Cons: Not all vegan

Wonderful classy food - Edit

I have been meaning to visit this place for years now, ever since I moved to the east end, but for some reason only did so a few weeks back. I was thoroughly happy with my visit. The decor was nice, and better than many Asian restaurants in this area, and the service was good.

I ended up having fresh juice, a starter set of mushroom stuffed spring rolls and a main of mock seafood and shrimp with noodles. The food was all wonderfully presented and extremely tasty, though I found it took a while to arrive, probably due to the busyness of the place, which was full when I arrived. The menu had a good variety of options and it was hard to pick just one meal. There were a mix of clients, families, young singles, couples out dating, it was welcoming to everyone.

My only complaint was there were only three pieces of mock shrimp in the main, which seems a little crazy given it shouldn't cost significantly different to use the mock shrimp rather than the other mock meat, unlike carnivore meals. Otherwise, I had no complaints, and would happily return again for dinner.

Overall I would call it very good and would not hesitate to recommend it to people in the area.

(I've eaten in many Thai places, though no Malay, and had a Malay dish, I did not find it either bland or salty as other people have reviewed, maybe they've improved?)

Pros: Attractively presented food, Good value, Good variety

Cons: Small amount of 'mock' meat in main, Sometimes slow

Spicy affordable eats - Edit

Great little restaurant that was super easy to find. The food was delicious and spicy and tons of vegan options. I had a heavenly green curry dish with mock duck that was a great little surprise.
Service was friendly and fast. Pricing was good, about $50 for three courses for two people.
Seriously one of my fav`s when in Toronto.

Pros: Fresh, Affordable, Spicy

Cons: Crowded

Disappointing visit - Edit

As a lover of Malay cuisine, I want so badly to like this restaurant. I've been there twice, and the food has been lackluster both times. We had fried spring rolls, a malaysian okra curry with mock meatballs and pad thai with mock chicken.

The spring rolls were tiny and bland. The okra curry was quite sad, with the okra tasting canned, way too many potatoes, and mock meatballs that turned out to be the rubbery fish-style balls typically made with konnyaku flour. The pad thai had a measly smattering of tiny pieces of mock chicken and not much else.

The waitress had no idea which mock meats were vegan (turns out the chicken and meatballs are). She confidently informed us that whey was from a bean (and most of the other mock meats contain whey). If we were newbie vegans we might have ordered it.

I'm going to go back one day anyway. Third time's a charm!

Pros: average $9 an entree

Cons: misinformed staff

Disappointing soup - Edit

I made a special trip to Jean's due to the rave reviews here and was disappointed. I can only imagine most other diners that reviewed it haven't been to Thailand and don't eat Thai food at every opportunity. Don't get the Tom Kha soup, it was very salty without the fragrance and spice that it should normally have. The gado gado was delicious though and there was plenty of it. Shame that the faux meats contain whey so aren't vegan. Very friendly staff though and I will probably try it again due to my Thai food addiction and I've not tried the curry yet!

Pros: Gado gado, Very friendly staff

Cons: Awful soup, Location

Great food - Edit

The staff here are always really friendly. The place is clean. The food is great, and there are a lot of different options. The prices are really reasonable. I would definitely recommend checking it out.

Pros: friendly staff, great food

Cons: location

Well priced, yummy and a neighbourhood staple - Edit

I depend on Jean's whenever I'm too lazy to cook - it's that affordable. It's also delicious and vegan-friendly. The owner is welcoming and offers thoughtful suggestions without being pushy. Nice menu of Malay/Thai options from appetizers to dessert. I personally enjoy the okra dishes and saffron rice most of all.

An oasis on this part of the Danforth.

Pros: Price, Attitude, Location

Jean Genie - Edit

At the risk of questioning the judgement of those far more used to eating vegetarian food in Toronto than I, who was there for only a brief visit, this place serves some of the best vegetarian food in Toronto. I say this not so much because of the complex tofu-based dish we chose (which was very good in any case) but because of the simple dish of greens that accompanied it. This was perfect - texture, seasoning, quality of ingredients, the whole (as it were) enchilada. Very often, or so it seems to me, vegetarian and omnivorous restaurants alike have no idea how to cook ordinary vegetables so as to bring out the best in them, but what the people at Jean's don't know about that isn't knowledge. The Buddha-like gentleman who served us moved about as slowly as one imagines the Buddha would have done, but he moved as efficiently as one imagines the Buddha would have done also. The place is pretty close to Greenwood metro station - go there if you can.

Pros: The vegetables

Excellent food - Edit

I try to find a reason to go to Jean's even though I don't live nearby. I always get Pad Thai, Mango Salad and Hot and Sour soup. The restaurant is very nice, service is quick, it isn't over the top Asian but has a modern feel to it with subtle music in the background. Food is excellent and reasonably priced.

Pros: Tasty food, Good service, good value

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jean's Vegetarian Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3061 times since Dec 2007.