First Review by KateMc

Not so veg friendly. *Warning!* - Edit

Ok, I posted on yelp about this, but I figured this place needs to find out as well. Ok, They DO have vegan options, but you need to be very wary!
First, the subjective review: Their tofu scramble is bad. (I will post my yelp post below describing it)
Second and more important: Their JAM is not veg at all, it contains gelatin and they do not inform you of this.
Yelp posting below:
Although the omnivores in the group liked their meal, the vegetarian and vegan (me) found their idea of tofu scramble to be the most repulsive thing possible. The tofu scramble (I had the plain, and my friend had the one with salsa) tasted like someone dropped an entire bottle of seasoning salt on it. It was not even edible.
Plus side, they offer vegan margarine...
Note to Jeannie: Don't over spice the tofu scramble! A basic tofu scramble is: crumbled tofu, a good smattering (several table spoons per serving) of nutritional yeast, a sprinkle of onion powder and garlic powder, a dash of soy milk to make it so the dry's mix in with the tofu, and a dash of salt. I have no idea what you put in with it, but it made it so dry and bitter tasting that I could barely eat it.
Jeannie! Keep it simple and don't ruin the dish with massive quantities of unneeded spices!

Addendum: Just saw a lower poster who said their jams contain gelatin. If that is true, then vegans/vegetarians should avoid this place as it is in no way mentioned nor labeled. Even when two of us at the table ordered a vegan meal, the waitstaff said nothing of the sort. Simply put, I have no confidence that this place is veg*n friendly. Please up your way of doing business.

Pros: Has some veg/vegan options

Cons: Hidden animal ingedients., Jam is not even vegetarian., Over spice foods.

A Whole Vegan Section and Yummy Too! - Edit

Great Maine Breakfast was super friendly, cute, prompt even when busy, and they had a "vegan fare" part of their menu, with two types of tofu scrambles and two pancake options. I had the spicy tofu scramble and added tomato and avo slices, with homefries, cinnamon raisin toast and house made strawberry rhubarb jam. Really really yum!

Ate here every day we could! - Edit

Amazing! We stayed in town for 4 days ate here 3. We got in town too late to eat here the first day. We had the vegan pancakes and tofu scramblers. Both amazing! I think vegans and non vegans would love this place. Clean, friendly, and good!

Pros: Yummy, Friendly staff, Clean

Cons: Only open till 1

vegan pancakes!! - Edit

On a Wednesday morning in July this place already had a line at the door by 8:30 am. I had a classic breakfast of eggs, home fries and a herby biscuit. The eggs were perfect and the home fries nice and crisp. Our friend had the vegan pancakes and they were incredible. They also have tofu scramble options.

Pros: excellent food, fast service, vegan pancakes

Cons: very busy!

Return to Bar Harbor Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jeannie's Great Maine Breakfast closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2067 times since Aug 2007.