CLOSED: Jayyid Harvest

Contact 717-425-3853

1530 N 2nd St (at Harris St), Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA, 17102

Uses fresh local produce and has many vegan options - see website. Reservations is suggested. DEC 2012 REPORTED SHUT DOWN, PHONE NUMBER NOT WORKING.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Take-out, Mexican

First Review by toddlebo

best vegan option in harrisburg, by far. - Edit

i've had their delicious pancakes, the breakfast burrito, and sampled the affection sandwich. overall, jayyid has been a satisfying experience on every visit. although, if you're in a hurry, this isn't the place for you. the service is slow, but very friendly.

i noticed someone below commented that the veg meats might not be vegan, which isn't the information i was given, both through email, and through interaction with the staff at the restaurant. with my inquiries the staff was very knowledgeable about what was vegan and what wasn't.

if you happen to be in harrisburg, give jayyid a try, and support an independent restaurant that is more than 90% vegan, rather than the run-of-the-mill chain restaurants, like chipotle grill, that plague the central pa region.

Pros: friendly staff, mostly vegan, good location

Cons: not 100% vegan, can be slow

great place - Edit

Jayyid harvest is a great place. Even without music it's cool. The owners are really helpful and love what they do. If your happy,to have a place to eat as a vegan and vegetarian then send them suggestions and support them. They are new to the business so give them some room. Keep this place open, support it.

Pros: family friendly, non byob, no annoying music

Cons: parking

I want to love this place! - Edit

This is such a great addition to Harrisburg and we were so excited to find it. The decor gives off a warm, welcoming vibe. And the food...oh, the food...SO GOOD. Our server was great and informed us that ALL of the "meats" on the menu are vegan, so we enjoyed a couple of chicken and steak wraps. Best vegan "meat" I've ever tasted. I was sure we'd come back to this place again and again.

Unfortunately the next day I received a response to the email I'd sent to the restaurant prior to our visit, asking which meats and menu items were vegan. The response given contradicted what I was told by our server...it said "the MAJORITY of our meats are vegan". YIKES. I replied asking them to explain the contradiction and to clarify which meats actually are vegan. That was over a month ago and I haven't received a response, so sadly we haven't returned.

So as much as I really WANT to love this place, I take my vegan diet very seriously and it's just not worth the risk to me. :-(

The contradiction and uncertainty is the reason I only gave this restaurant 2 happy cows. Had it not been for this, I'd be looking for the 10 happy cow option!

Warms my Heart! - Edit

Award winning in 2011 - Best Vegetarian Restaurant in Central PA: http://wp.me/P1GQWj-1ac

Tempting vegan sweets like Carrot Cake are added for the lunch and supper menus while the brunch staples are written high above.

At brunch, I tasted the very best Tofu Scramble ever and had a side of perfectly cooked Grits. The bowl of fruit I had with my Chorizo Hash was not too bad for being melon cubes in winter and fresh blueberries were added to it.

Daytime isn't the only pleasant time to visit Jayyid. The dining area has some nice track lighting as well as pretty hanging lamps to add to the decor. We just loved how it made the old patterned ceiling feel. I took advantage of a one of their new raw foods specials, the Mock Salmon Paté and Salad. It came with a side of warm Flat Bread and was served in a huge salad bowl.

Jim shared some of his Simply Heat sandwich wrap with side salad. He chose the chili wrap (not doughy like many wraps can be), pepperjack cheese and wasabi sauce on the side. Simply Heat's main ingredient is a soy chicken that is bathed in a wonderful jerk sauce and heated with some mushrooms, peppers and onions before wrapping it all up into a melty flavorful meal. I don't like wraps all that much but could have easily enjoyed ever bite of his Simply Heat. Just to note, many of the regular dishes on the menu have fun names like The Inspiration or Awesome!
read full review here : http://wp.me/p1GQWj-191

Pros: Raw menu items, warm and friendly staff, vegetarian comfort foods

Great Place - Edit

The food was great and the price is reasonable also. I am so happy to have a Veg. in HBG. I would like them to be BYOB and not have a TV with "man vs Food" because I'm not into watching a fat man eat meat until he is sick. I loved the food but they need to fix the TV thing...Maybe Music instead? Hey it's their place and they can do as they want but the TV with people cuting up flesh is not a good idea for a vegetarian resteraunt. BUT, again, I LOVED THE FOOD AND HOPE THEY STAY FOR A LONG TIME.

Pros: FOOD, PRICE, SERVICE

Cons: TV , NO BYOB

Return to Harrisburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Jayyid Harvest closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 302 times since Dec 2011.