Jay Tamachad Vegetarian Restaurant

Contact 089-6451951

Hat Chaweng 4, Koh Samui, Thailand,

Small Thai style veggie place on the road north out of Chaweng. Look for it on the left (west) side of the street when leaving Chaweng area before hitting the main road. Offer pre-made dishes (from 7am), and also made to order dishes like phad thai, rad nah, Chinese style dumplings, mock meat dishes, and steamed buns. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Thai

First Review by vtraveller

A flavour party!! - Edit

We were just driving past & our vegan radar spotted the "vegan food" sign, getting us to stop immediately. And it was well worth it! She only had buffet food available, but we love eating like that, where you get lots of different bites, & it was out of this world. This isn't fancy looking food, but it's packed with flavour!! You can choose spicy or non-spicy dishes, or some of everything, which we did. Most dishes are made with textured soy protein & were a revelation in mock meat for us! Will definitely make our way back! (Happy Cow says it's only open during the day, but we had an early evening dinner there.)

Great vegan food! - Edit

I've been coming here for many years. The owner Pi Lek is a lovely lady, a devout Buddhist. The food is traditional and cooked without onion or garlic, but doesn't lack flavour! It's very affordable and hearty food, some dishes are quite spicy though, so beware if you don't like chilli! Just ask

Delicious and friendly — and often spicy! - Edit

One of our Samui favorites. Very tasty and authentic Thai food served buffet-style. Beware some dishes can be very spicy.

Friendly and inexpensive.

Sometimes has yummy vegan desserts.

authentic spicy vegan buffet - Edit

We ate here several times during our one week stay on Samui. Quality of food is very good and one can choose between 8 - 10 different meals from the buffet. 50% non-spicy 50% Thai-hell spicy! I loved it! The lovely lady who runs the place will point out what is what (spicy/non-spicy)
1 plate sets you back 50 - 70 Bt.
Good to have a scooter to reach the place. Take away is possible.

Pros: authentic Thai food, good value for money

Cons: the prices are not transparent to the customer

Tasty food, street style buffet - Edit

They pointed out which foods were spicy and which were not. The spicy food was really spicy but they gave me an extra bowl of rice so I could continue!

Pros: Inexpensive, Tasty

Cons: Food is sitting there, although covered, Only one level of spice, careful!

Farrangh prices - Edit

Pre-cooked food you select on a "cart" / counter towards the street.

Most of it is quite spicy. She has soy fake meat, fake pork, etc.

The restaurant feels a bit claustrophobic but you get free cucumbers at the table, if you want.

Prices are a bit confusing. Thai people seem to pay 50B, but I was charged 70B. I asked what prices are but did not get an answer - she just looked confused as if she did not speak a word of English (or pretended she did not). (No communication problems when ordering though.) Not that 20B matter that much but it is annoying when people try to rip you off based on your skin color.

I decided to give it a second chance and went again for take-away. I asked to have a meal for fifty (ha-sip) baht. she asked which dishes I wanted so I pointed to two that looked nice. I think she did not recognized that I had been there before (and thus knew the prices). Somehow she made it so that I should pay 150 ... 50 for each dish and one of the dishes she put in 2 bags. So 3 bags and each would cost 50.

I don't understand why take-away would be three times as expensive as eating in the restaurant.

Pros: Soya meat, cheap

Cons: Rips off farranghs (foreigners), Claustrophobic, no or only little English

Eat With The Locals - Edit

On the north lake road and now very clearly marked, it would be difficult to miss the yellow and red sign marked 'Vegan'. Although food is pre cooked, this is common in Asian buffets and one should arrive around the lunch hour for just prepared dishes. Nevertheless, there are several choices and natural rice. Sit with the locals and monks while avoiding the tourists.

Pros: Local , Pure , Cheap

Cons: Pre Made, Small Menu , Closed Sundays

A basic but vegan eatery - finally! - Edit

Had troubles to find the place, located on the ring road north of lake Chaweng. Maybe use International School of Tourism as landmark.
Food was nice (brown rice and a choice of cold cooked dishes). Unfortunately no cold drinks available when I visited. Good place to stock up on vegan Ramen style cup noodles - had been looking for this all over the place.
It is the only place in K.S. where I could be sure that no animal flesh was present in the same kitchen.

Updated from previous review on Thursday December 05, 2013

Pros: purely vegan, little shop with cup noodles etc.

Cons: difficult to locate (but sign outside)

Fantastic vegan Thai food - Edit

Not only is the owner a very sweet lady who speaks good English, the typical 'choose yourself from the stall' options are plentiful and taste simply authentic. I have been living in Thailand for over 10 years and have not come across a Thai restaurant serving this quality of vegan food yet!

Pros: large choice, friendly staff, great taste

Cons: none

Okay - Edit

If you're looking for a pure veg place in Chaweng area there are few options and this may be one of the safest without driving too far. It's a little far to walk there from the strip, so you'll need a likely need a motorbike unless you're staying at the north end.
It's your typical "Jay" (veggie) place with food that's been cooked early in the day and sits out for the rest of the day. They do have some made-to-order items, but you'll need someone who speaks Thai to help you order.
Many of the items are quite spicy, rice is good. They also had some vegan cookies and moon cakes when I was there.
Overall, an okay spot, especially considering the other options.

Pros: All Veg, Inexpensive

Cons: Food sits out

My experience - Edit

Read about this place on happy cow and very excited to find a veggie restaurant on ko samui as there are practically none here.we were disappointed however when we got there.it was very small and informal.no menu was available and the few dishes available were pre cooked already.though the owner was friendly and said she could make anything upon request if we returned.in the end had noodle soup which was only thing available.not a dish i will remember fondly.only plus is that it cost only 50 baht.

Pros: Cheap, Friendly owner

Cons: Far from chaweng, Limited dishes, Small

Return to Koh Samui Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jay Tamachad Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4739 times since Nov 2010.