Jao Ngoa - Chao Ngo

Contact 089-835-5405

Thanon Huay Kaew, 100/13 Huai Kaeo Road, Chiang Mai, Thailand, 50300

Popular with locals and students. Menu is in Thai but owner understands a little English. Offers several different dishes each day where you could choose one or two dishes with brown rice. Also made-to-order Thai food. Also sells vegan Thai bakery goods. Located opposite Chiang Mai University north entrance near the 4th soi, look for big yellow sign on the right side just before the university. Mon-Sat 9:00am-9:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Thai, Take-out

First Review by RfromYoko

good food for small money - Edit

Came here on my way back from zoo, didn't know the place was just hungry. It seems to be a place for backpackers as well as locals like students from nearby. Prices are low but portions are as well. Food quality from the buffet was quite good so I would probably come back if I was in the area again.

good choice! - Edit

I have been going to Jao Ngoa restaurant for a few years now. The choices are displayed in trays to pick and choose from. Though the number of dishes is not large, I like all of the dishes. They also have some tasty packed dishes including wrapped rice noodles, imitation meat, and various cookies. The price remains the same: a plate of brown rice with two dishes is 30 Baht and the water is free. The place is simple, clean, and pleasant.

Pros: Good food, Good value, pleasant place

Ok food - Edit

There was no menu, just a buffet of all veg food. It costs 70 baht for rice and 2 side dishes from the buffet. I liked the pumpkin curry I got but the other dish which was beans, pineapple tofu curry i didn't like, i think it was the fact it was a sweet curry though. One side dish is enough with the rice I think. I wouldn't return as there is much nicer vegan food in town.

Great, inexpensive Thai-vegetarian - Edit

I used to eat at Jao Ngo very often when it was at it's old location a few meters down the street. There is always a good selection of ready-made curries/vegetable dishes to chose to go with rice. 2 dishes with rice is I think only 20 baht (at least it used to be). Excellent khao soi as well if they happen to have it that day.

Pros: Delicious, Inexpensive

Return to Chiang Mai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jao Ngoa - Chao Ngo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1948 times since Aug 2007.