CLOSED: Jaleo

• ( 4 reviews )

2250 Crystal Drive A, Arlington, Virginia, USA, 22202

Serves meat, vegan options available. Tapas and Spanish cuisine with nearly 20 vegetarian items, and about half of them vegan like spinach, roasted cauliflower, mushrooms, and potatoes; ask for the separate allergens menu that shows markings on every item for vegetarian, vegan, dairy, gluten free, shellfish, nuts. Reported closed December 2021.

Categories: Lacto, Mediterranean, Beer/Wine, Spanish, Non-veg

First Review by mesr

R.Emerson

Points +16

23 Feb 2020

Excellent!

Friendly reception, several vegan choices.
I ordered the Coliflor salteada con aceitunas y dátiles
Sautéed (cauliflower with dates and olives). Wonderful choice. Tasty and satisfying. Very reasonable price.

Pros: Pleasant atmosphere , Friendly staff, Good value

WBLVegan3415

Points +199

07 May 2019

Expensive!

I had 3 very small plates. One with salad greens, vinegar and olives, one cauliflower dish and some asparagus. (see photos) I should have went to Whole Foods for same price I could have got an entire bag of groceries. I love to try new things so I guess it wasn’t a total bust.

Pros: Some clearly marked Vegan options, Friendly server, Close to my hotel

Cons: Expensive

LaurenMilord

Points +247

29 Apr 2019

Iffy on the Vegan Friendliness

I was thrilled when I found out that Jaleo marked vegan items on their menu. Unfortunately, the experience I had there was less than stellar.

It began when I walked in, and I was asked if I was celebrating my birthday. Apparently their Open Table printout said I was (the printout also said I was vegan), and while my birthday was only a couple of days away, I was just having dinner with a friend. However, this just created confusion and the hostess was abrupt about the situation.

I was seated indoors, despite the fact that it was one of the first nice days of the season. I asked to switch outside, where I had a long conversation with the waiter about being vegan and about how their tortilla must've been incorrectly labeled as it's pretty difficult to create a Spanish tortilla without eggs. He said he'd let the chef know about the tortilla not being vegan.

For dinner, my friend and I ordered a bunch of dishes that we thought were vegan, but when I ate one, I realized they gave me the olives stuffed with anchovies. Needless to say, I was pretty grossed out.

I told my waiter, and he was extremely apologetic. The manager came over as well and offered us another dish. Strangely, they never brought out the correct (vegan) olives. The manager also asked my friend, "Can I get you anything else? Maybe some sangria?" My friend said yes, thinking that meant we'd also get complimentary sangria as an apology for the non-vegan dish.

However, when we got the check, we found that we were charged for the sangria, though we did receive the one additional tapa for free.

Overall, while they were genuinely apologetic about the error and both the waiter and manager were extremely nice, it definitely could've been handled better.

Pros: vegan items labeled, happy hour at the bar, sangria on a patio

Cons: not all items marked as vegan are actually vegan, received non-vegan dish, expensive

mesr

Points +119

30 Jun 2018

Great date night spot

Jaleo is the first choice when my husband and I go out for date night. When you check in with the host, just ask for an allergy menu. This menu clearly indicates which foods are vegan and vegetarian. Although the menu changes seasonally, there are always plenty of vegan options to choose from, and the staff are frequently willing to customize dishes to make them vegan, for example, not putting aioli on the patatas bravas. Several times when my meat-eating husband has ordered something, our server has mentioned, "oh, we could make a vegan version of that for you!" and I've taken her up on it. The end results have always been amazing.
Favorites of mine include the escalavada, the cauliflower with dates and olives, and the papas arugus (although the version on the menu now has a non-vegan sauce... hopefully they'll go back to the old version!). When you go, also be sure to try the liquid olives.

Pros: Menu clearly indicates which items are vegan, Delicious, Great for date night

Cons: Expensive , Changing menu means favorites disappear

Return to Arlington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jaleo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.