First Review by mwb

good simple food - Edit

Great healthy and cheap food served in an institution of Turnpike Lane! The food is basic but not oily at all, lovely dosas and Thalis and chill Mogo.

Service is quirky - the guys who work there are a bit stand offish but it adds to the charm. Bring your own booze and most things are vegan

Pros: cheap, tasty, good lunch deals

Cons: service could be more hands on and friendly

Regular visitor - Edit

Handy location right next to Turnpike Lane tube, cheap food and extensive menu and reasonably priced. No alcohol licence but you can BYO and there's an off licence next door but one.
Closed on Monday's.
Daal Soup is a great starter and the Pea Dosa as a main (although listed as a starter it's too filling to have as a starter).
They ask you to write down your order. We always take guests there when they are in town. Do take aways but not deliveries.

Pros: Exscellent food, Good value, Friendly staff

Cons: Busy at weekends

My personal favourite - Edit

I could wax lyrical about the amount of vegan food on this menu (they don't use ghee) but what I'd really like to flag up is how suitable this restaurant is for gluten free vegans. The majority of the food like dosas etc are made with gram flour so there's very little wheat and the owner has a great understanding of what's suitable for vegans/coeliacs, he's very cautious and extremely friendly.
The lunchtime specials are just fantastic value for money and, having eaten there for over two years now, I've yet to find a dish I wouldn't order again.
Aubergine bhajia and sarsan da saag are my particular favourites: Melt in the mouth aubergine tempura and mustard leaf saag, what's not to love!
The lime water sarbat is lovely and refreshing and the masala tea has a real kick to it if you're feeling in need of warming up.
Thoroughly recommended.

Pros: Fast, friendly service , Fantastic food, Excellent value for money

I love this place. - Edit

Jai Shri Krishna is awesome. The selection is almost overwhelming there is so much choice - we're working our way through it and haven't yet tried anything we didn't like. The food is filling, flavourful and an utter bargain. Try one or two starters between two (I love kachories with tamarind sauce), a curry and some rice - the only word of caution is not to over order - just because dishes are cheap it doesn't mean they are small portions.

Pros: Great food, Total bargain, Consistently good!

BRILLIANT! - Edit

Went once on a recommendation about a year ago, have been back once a week since. There is a huge range of food which is all totally delicious. The staff are friendly and everything is very inexpensive. Particularly wonderful dishes are the Sarson Da Saag, Bengan Bhartha, Jeera Aloo... everything is amazing though. Would eat there every day if it was possible!

Pros: Very cheap, Very delicious, Friendly staff

Bringing a touch of Drummond St to Wood Green... - Edit

We really enjoyed our visit last weekend - the food was scrumptious, the portions generous and the range of dishes available on the menu is probably the most varied I've ever seen in India or the UK! We'll be back soon to try some of the other dishes; the staff were very friendly and didn't mind us popping out a couple of times to visit the off licence 2 doors away. And the service was quick - on the way out we bought some sev and chevdo. Highly recommended and as we live 4 blocks away, we'll soon be regulars!

Pros: lots!

Cons: musty smell in restaurant

Worthy of Support - Edit

A new venture for the owners of Jai Krishna in Stroud Green Road. Already visited on a number of occasions since the recent opening and, so far, every bit as consistent as their longstanding other restaurant. Varied Indian vegetarian menu at very reasonable prices.

Jeera Aloo and Pistachio Lassi to die for!

Pros: Friendly staff

Welcome addition in N London - Edit

This new restaurant is similar and related to Jai Krishna, with a slightly different menu but the same great value. Starters are tasty and characterful - samosas and patra particularly good; a wide range of curries and the usual paratas, chapatis etc. Also a shop selling Indian sweets. There's a buffet every lunchtime. Few rivals for a vegetarian meal in N London.

Return to North London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jai Shri Krishna closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2683 times since Aug 2007.