Jade Vegetarian - Jane Heart

+852-27812987

Shop C, G/F, 124-128 Portland St, Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China,

Vegetarian soy bean curd shop using organic soy bean products. Has cheun-fan (steamed rice-roll), steamed buns, noodle soup, fried noodles, steam rice, tofu desserts like beancurd pudding and black-sesame paste. Note that the mock ham contains whey. Convenient for take-away such as qi-fan (glutinous rice ball filled with mock-pork-floss). Seats 20. English menu and spoken. Nearest MTR, Yau Ma Tei exit A1. Open Mon-Sun 10:00am-11:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by JChan

great!! - Edit

With so limited placed to eat when we got to Hong Kong this place was so great to find
Nice service, great menu with lots of options

Will come again

Delicious - Edit

Small, local, great food, well priced. As a traveller this is the ideal place for a great lunch. Nice people.

jade vegetarian - jane heart - Edit

with this eatery sharing similarities with jane bean juice (wanchai) in shop name and certain dishes (eg 五色全素 noodle soup with mixed vegetables and a variety of bean curd puddings), one can't help but carry some baggage and compare the two.

while jane heart opens till later and has a much more extensive menu (the only leafy veg in jane bean juice seems to be lettuce and cabbage), i thought that jane bean juice prepared its dishes with a bit more care/elegance and afforded a more comfortable dining experience. service here is very brisk and seems chaa chaan teng / cafeteria style (though staff are still polite), and seating is cramped. expect to share tables during busy periods.

today i tried two side dishes for a late dinner: "tomato with bean curd rolls" (average - its presentation was sloppy, and i found the rolls' texture too mushy for my liking, not helped by their being drenched in a glop of tomato sauce, and my much, much better experience of bean curd rolls in jane bean juice) and "imitation shark fin soup" (good - i haven't had imitation shark fin soup since turning veggie and this tasted like what i remembered sans chicken broth).

i asked the gentleman manning the store if they'd consider labelling the menu to indicate which items contained eggs/dairy. he said that some of the mock meats contain egg and dairy and that it's safer for a customer with dietary restrictions to ask whenever ordering at any restaurant (i take his response as a "no"). something for vegans to take note of.

as with many eateries in hk, this is not a place for which i'd specially make a trip to mong kok, but as a solo diner it's one of the cheaper places i've found in mong kok (individual portions, no service charge) and it will be one of my go-to choices when i'm in the area.

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-27

Pros: lots of variety, english menu, cheaper option for solo dining in mongkok, opens till 11.30 pm daily

Cons: very cramped, hard to move in and out, items with egg/dairy not labelled on menu

very good - Edit

Good friendly not expensive

Great food! - Edit

Cosy restaurant. Very popular at lunchtimes. Delicious local food. Brisk service. My favourite restaurant in this locale.

Fast service, simple dishes, but nothing special - Edit

This busy and fast-serving restaurant is located on the corner of Dundas St and Portland St. You can expect to eat yourself fill for a comparably small amount of money. A simply done up premise with an English-written menu located unter each table surface. You can not expect to have a table for your own though, brace yourself up for sharing one with several other costumers.
Not a place to spend much time in, but providing inexpensive and filling dishes. Food is quite alright, I had no reason to complain.

Pros: inexpensive, filling dishes, open till late

Cons: somewhat unappealing venue, sharing tables

Best springrolls ever! - Edit

Getting a decent vegetarian meal in Hongkong can be quite difficult and I was really frustrated during my quest for a good restaurant until I stumbled across this one.
It's quite tiny so you need to be lucky to get a seat in busy times and you sometimes need to wait especially when being in a bigger group but it's definitely worth to wait!
The menu is also in english which is somehow very often not the case in HK. They offer a big choice ranging from typical asian starters, noodle soups, veggie rice and noodle dishes to bean curd pudding and different desserts.
I had the springrolls (probably the best I had so far in my life) and stir-fried udon with vegetables and vegetarian ham...absolutely great! The price is also amazing...paid approximately 7 euros.
The environment is not really beautiful so don't expect a romantic atmosphere but the people working there are really nice and friendly. Only annoying thing which is typical for any store/restaurant in HK is the temperature inside caused by the AC running at full power. Colder than the devils heart but you get used to it after a while.
Can definitely recommend this one!!!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, price

Cons: very small, busy atmosphere

The Best! - Edit

This is by far my favourite restaurant in HK. It's tiny and busy, and you probably wouldn't notice it otherwise, but the food is great and super cheap! You can get a giant bowl of noodle soup with fresh veggies and a homemade soy broth for $39. I go here at least once a week because the staff are friendly and the manager speaks English. There is an English/canto menu posted to the tables and they donate their tips to a cow sanctuary (there's a photo album and donation box at the till.)

I recommend the dumpling soup which isn't on the official menu, but is handwritten next to it in Chinese. The steamed buns, spring rolls, soy milk, rice with BBQ pork, panfried tofu, and beancurd pudding with mango are all amazing! This place is so cheap, it's sometimes not even worth me cooking my own dinner at home!

This place is always busy (a good sign!) and the service is fast and efficient. Seating is cramped and you'll probably have to share with strangers and shuffle awkwardly when your neighbours need to get up and leave, but it's all worth it.

Pros: cheap , delicious , friendly staff

Cons: small seating area

Tasty, reliable and inexpensive. - Edit

I eat at this place at least once a week. Its always tasty and reliable. It's usually pretty busy and is small so you can expect to share your table with other diners. Everything I've had has been good, great spring rolls and I also love the hot soy milk with ginger!

Good flavor and hospitality - Edit

The folks here are really friendly, which took me by surprise after enduring curt HK-style service for the past few days. They have an extensive menu with lots of great options, although I would recommend asking the staff for suggestions.

When we were there, the owner was happy to help us make our selections, and his recommendations were spot on. The pan-fried tofu with corn and seaweed was fantastic, as was the bean sprout salad. We also ordered three varieties of tofu fa, all of which were delicious. My one disappointment was the noodle soup that I had, which wasn't as flavorful as I would hope. That said, the tofu skin and veggies in the soup were really good, and adding a bit of premium soy sauce (the owner was really proud of his soy sauce) helped bring it all together.

Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 30, 2015

We braved torrential rain to come back here again. We were not disappointed.

We munched on some chi fan to begin and followed it up with a round of sweet treats: mango tofu fa, plain tofu fa, banana and papaya soy milk, sweet beancurd barley soup, and sweet walnut soup. All of the offerings were delightful, as before.

The reason I am upgrading my rating is because of the amazing staff and service. They were wonderfully nice on both of our visits, and this time I got a fuller glimpse about how much they genuinely care about their customers.

For one, the owner remembered all of us and details from our conversation last week, e.g., where all of us lived and how long I have been vegetarian and vegan. I was really impressed that he could recall such details given the huge number of customers he serves.

Also, with the tempest brewing outside, the owner and staff were really kind. One customer came in for takeout, and they encouraged him to sit inside to wait out the rain (this is unusual at a lot of HK eateries, where they rush you out the door if you aren't going to be buying more food). When the customer said he was keen to carry on, one staff member ran to the back room to grab an umbrella - she insisted that the customer take it with him so that he wouldn't get wet.

For these reasons, I'm more than happy to upgrade my rating, and I'm looking forward to stopping in at least once more before I depart next week.

Pros: very friendly, great food, caring staff and owners

Very good authentic food - Edit

Updated from previous review on Thursday September 18, 2014: Their fake ham is not vegan (see below)

Also my new favorite dish there: The bun with lotus seed paste! To die for! I usually eat 4 now and am getting looked at suspiciously ;)

---

This restaurant is rather small but you we didn't have to wait too long to get a seat. Be prepared to share your table though.
The owner is very helpful and speaks basic English. So no problem at all. He is very proud of his food. He even gave us other things for tasting after we ordered.

Unfortunately this shop is not fully vegan. They have one dish that contains cheese. This is clearly stated on the menu though. After talking to the manager he also told us to stay away from the fake ham, as it contains milk/whey. So be a bit careful. Reality is though that if you are looking for 100% vegan (like vinegar that wasn't made from non-vegan wine) I guess you shouldn't go to any Asian restaurants. I'm not even sure most "western" restaurants take care of this.

All the main ingredients of the other dishes are vegan though. I had some rice with shitake mushrooms and vegetables. Go take the set menu, which contains a glas of cold/warm/hot soy milk! Tastes very good!
We also had the glutenous rice ball, which is also a great take away as they are always available ready to go.

The deserts are authentic tofu puddings with different toppings and seasonings. Also available in warm and cold. Try the cold mango desert! Sugar sirup and powder are available to make it as sweet as you like!

Pros: Very friendly staff, Vegan minus one dish

Cons: Very small, Fake meat is not vegan

Stevie 08 Jun 2015 - Hi Dicer,

I was there yesterday again. It remains not 100% vegan.

Keep well,
Stevie

Great for breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper - Edit

I was staying in a hotel just around the corner, so my catering needs were pretty much sorted out with this place. The menu is great, lots of veggie variations on Chinese dishes complete, including fake meat versions of beef, pork, eel etc. Price is cheap for HK, and the food is of a better standard than most of the expensive veggie restaurants. Staff (almost entirely Chinese aunties from what I could tell) are friendly, though with limited English; a gentleman who appeared to be the manager spoke good English however. No complaints, thoroughly recommended.

Pros: Food, Price, Location

great spring rolls - Edit

Stumbled across this whilst looking for a different restaurant. Great little place

Jade Vegentarian, Hong Kong - Edit

I've eaten here more than once. I have numerous positives to say about it.

1stly its quite easy to find. Its on the ground floor on the corner of the block. While most of the writing from the outside is in Chinese, there's words like 'veggie' in nice clear letter's painted on the outside.

The waiter's English was good as was another member of staff. There's an English language menu so ordering was easy.

I went for a bowl of noodle and mixed veg soup and also some dim sum. The soup was probably enough on its own. All ends up the whole things came to 53 hkd.

Very usefully its open late. I arrived at around 11 pm and someone arrived later than me and was still OK to order.

Updated from previous review on Saturday May 17, 2014

Pros: Vegan friendly, Open late, English menu and spoken

A veggie refuge with caring owners - Edit

This busy suburb often offers little choice for a Veg-head on their lunch/afternoon tea menus. Jane is a perfect stopover for snacks or desserts. The shop is often busy but Jane and her partner also pay attention to quality and service, both mild and friendly. A rare find in this busy town. Open till late.

Pros: very good quality offered for its price, attentive to needs (eg low/no sugar), healthy and simple tasting food

Cons: Narrowest male toilet in the world, Often very occupied and seats are close

Good vegan food! - Edit

I went there a couple of times and it's always good! Not everyone speaks english but I got good service. The soy milk is very good and the soup noodles too. The only downside is that the place is VERY small, sometimes you need to wait for people to leave to have a place.

Pros: Taste, Vegan, Price

Cons: Small

A popular vegan restaurant for sweet desserts - Edit

The menu is also in English detailing the ingredients.
Sweet desserts that are "chef's specialties" are highlighted. The "soy skin" / barley soup is particularly good (see photo) as are the usual red bean soup, dumplings in ginger soup, tofu fa (soft tofu with sugar), the sesame soup etc. The owner puts gradular and liquid sugar on the table so the client could augment the level of sweetness to his/her own taste. All desserts are made with a slightly low level of sweetness for this purpose.

Though it's known for its unique sweet Chinese desserts, Jade provides a small menu of savoury dishes including noodles, congees and rice. The ubiquitous Chinese vegan "roast meats" is available here.

Pros: Very conscientious management, Consistent good food quality, Appealing menu.

Cons: Stools, and a little cramped., A bit pricier than average.

Return to Kowloon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jade Vegetarian - Jane Heart closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.