CLOSED: Jack Sprats Vegetarian Vegan Cafe

• Vegetarian

Contact 0191-2657708

413 Chillingham Road, Heaton, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Newcastle Upon Tyne, England, NE6 6QU

Extensive menu for breakfast, lunch, Sunday dinner, light snacks, refreshments. Offers wheat-free options. Spacious with comfortable chairs and couches along with many tables, a PC, and games. Free Wi-Fi. LAST DAY OCT 26, 2013. SHUT DOWN.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, English

First Review by KateE

yum! - Edit

Been here twice now, first time had the spinach burger and chips - fab!

Second time had the fish and chips with mushy peas which I was worried I wouldn't enjoy being a vegan for 25 years. It was fab though and I'll be having it again next time!

Lovely vegan milkshakes too and a good selection of cakes ;)

Pros: good price , fab vegan food, good service

Cons: none

not what it used to be - Edit

Jack Sprats used to be amazing but over the last 6 months or so its really changed for the worse.
Im not sure why but often its been closed at silly times. The staff have all changed and the warm welcome has gone.
The food is not as good as it used to be and is often reheated or microwaved, lacking any real flavour.
Sadly we wont be going back as its not worth the money.

Pros: used to ge good

Cons: often closed, tasteless meals

I wish I lived nearer, I would always eat here!!! - Edit

I have visited Jack Sprats on many occasions now and if I lived closer I would be in all the time. The restaurant/cafe is located in Heaton which is a 5 min drive from Newcastle winplenty public transport options and free parking in nearby streets. JS is a small family run cafe with two rooms which are more homely than restaurant style but the atmosphere is very relaxing and welcoming.

Now ont the food. Their vegetarian and vegan breakfasts are award winning and really tasty. I am vegan but eat eggs only from my own hens and often take in eggs and ask them to cook them for me which has never been an issue. The sausages look homemade and are super tasty and not like the often dry shop bought ones. It includes everything from toast, sausages, beans, mushrooms, fried potatoes and for the veggies onion ring and eggs. You can get two sizes but they are so yummy and not as easily made at home as you may I think.

My favourite meal has to be the vegan fish and chips. The fish is so tasty and has a seaweed layer like fish skin and a gorgeous batter. The homemade chips are golden and the peas and lemon slice finish is off beautifully. Best vegan meal I've ever had.

There are many per dishes I've tried such as sosmix pie with all the trimmings, pizza, 4 types of homemade burgers, daily specials etc etc

The cakes are always the perfect way to end a meal or to take away. My favourite is bake well tart and this week I've had pumpkin tart but there are others such as chocolate and banana cake, cheesecake etc

A the moment there is an amazing deal where you can buy 3 courses for £10 or 2 for £8.50. This is a great deal as starts usually cost £4-5 and the fish and chips is one of the more expensive mains at £9.50 with deserts around £3-4.

Overall I love the choice for both vegetarians, vegans, gluten and wheat free diets. It's a warm welcoming environment and I love the food. I I ly wished I lived closer and I would eat here all the time!

By far the best vegan cafe in town!
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 28, 2012

Pros: Choice of food, Super tasty, Amazing value

the best veggie/vegan cafe in newcastle - easily! - Edit

this resturant/cafe is brillant regardless of your diet. the service is helpfull and friendly, the atmosfere welcoming...and the food is very tasty! :)
although not on the menu they also sell fruit if your that way inclined, which is amazing! - if they have none in your more than welcome to bring your own, (fruit shop 2mins walk) this means I CAN GO OUT with my better half for a meal! whatever you do...GO! ;D

Pros: choice, service, atmosfere

Cons: better M toilets!

Experience of Vegan Fish and Chip's surreal. - Edit

I have eaten at Jack Spratt's four times now and each time I have been amazed by the quality of service that is available at the restaurant. It is situated in Jesmond so I would imagine that the place would become popular with students soon. The food was excellent and also very reasonable priced. I will be visiting fairly soon in the future Jack Spratt's can be assured of that.

Pros: Very Good food, Reasonable price , Excellent Ambience

Cons: Service can be slow

If only I lived nearby, what a great Cafe. - Edit

After reading the previous review, I didn't know what to expect. Well I'm quite happy to say that I disagree (see end of my review)

We ordered vegan fish and chips (because it's a rarity!) and within a very reasonable time our food arrived. The battered "fish" was a fair size, but it wasnt until i cut into it that i realised it is twice as thick as the nearest thing i've had to it. Result. This meant it filled me up nicely. The home made chips were perfectly cooked, and the oil used must have been in good condition (unlike many restaurants) as they tasted just how fresh potato chips should do. The mushy peas and lemon slice rounded it off nicely.

The gentleman behind the counter was helpful, and offered my daughter a straw for her drink, explained about evening meal options (we're tempted to revisit tonight before leaving Newcastle as the evening menu is different and there's a 3 course meal offer on). And was efficient.

The fridge counter was well stocked with vegan and vegetarian cup cakes, with a variety of flavours, they even sell VeGourmet cheese. With a variety of teas, and specials there is certainly enough choice to please most people - vegetarian, vegan or otherwise.

I immediately took a trip to the toilets to wash my dirty hands, and was fearing the worst - however i was pleasantly surprised. They were clean, albeit small - But what else does one want? The soap was vegan friendly original source, sounds petty - but alot of places overlook simple things.

I can positively disagree with the review below - the toilets are well above average, hygiene is top notch, and all 3 staff we saw were humorous, friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. The owner even came out to discuss menu options, and how they were flexible to people's allergens, dislikes and tastes.

Pros: Flavourful Fresh Tasting Food, Friendly Staff, Flexibility of Menu

Cons: Only 24hr opening could improve...

uncertain - Edit

I am unsure on my exact thoughts on jack sprats.. As a vegan i liked the variety of choices on offer but as a paying customer i expect higher standards not only in regards to cleanliness, toilet facilities but also with staff friendliness (not consistently welcoming but yet sometimes great) with some improvements this place could do well.

Pros: choice, location, take away vegan cake

Cons: hygiene standards, staff friendliness, poor toilets

vegan fish and chips! - Edit

Went here last night before a gig. Had vegan fish and chips which were awsome my fella had spinach burgar which he really liked also. Had a chocolate bun which I didnt think was that great but flapjack good. Only let downs were toilet not very nice (I do like a nice toilet tho haha) and though it was a tiny bit over priced but cant really complain as they are catering for a small market and the girl did give us a free cake and the menu we were given looked like the daytime cafe menu rather than the evening menu which is on the website. Def worth going for vegan fish and chips tho! Overall awsome

Pros: home cooked, yummy, good vegan choice

Cons: tiny bit expensive

Really great! - Edit

Excellent vegan choice. Tasty food. Something for everyone. Staff friendly. You can eat in or take out. Nice vibe. Prices seemed fair in this day and age. The desserts looked scrumptious, although we were full already so didn't have any.

Easy to reach in a car, just of the Coast Road on the way to Newcastle.

Pros: Friendly staff, Tasty food

Vegan Fish and Chips! - Edit

Delicious food. Super delicious vegan cheesecake! Maybe more expensive than other places, but still affordable. Vegan garlic bread starter is yummy too. Friendly staff. Very relaxed and chilled out restaurant.

Awesome for vegans, would recommend - Edit

Visited this wonderful place with family. It has a warm atmosphere and the staff are really lovely. I had the vegan spinach burger and chips which was delish - best chips I've ever had! And my Dad had the vegan "fish and chips" which was really nice. Dessert was a real treat - there must have been about 6 vegan options (inc. 2 cheesecakes). Bakewell tart and carrot cake also gorgeous. Prices brilliant too. One thing to mention is there's no alcohol licence so take your own (£1 corkage) if you want some. Superb evening.

Pros: Awesome for vegans, Wonderful cake, Brilliant staff

Jack Sprats - Heaton, Newcastle - Edit

Lovely food, atmosphere and staff! Would highly recommend! - shame they use helmans mayonnaise by Unilever who test other products on animals though, other than that excellent!

Pros: Food, People, Atmosphere

Cons: Mayonnaise - see above

great vegan choice - Edit

Lovely friendly cafe with extensive menu and great choice of vegan options. Try the vegan beer battered fish and chips, it tastes so like the real thing (from what I remember) it has to be tasted to be believed. A visit to this cafe is a must if you have the opportunity.

Pros: great choice, tasty food, lovely atmosphere

Living Room Relaxation - Edit

A great place in a good location on the busy Chillingham Road but set back from traffic due to it being on the corner of a no-access road. Very much like someone's kitchen and living room. There is a main room as you come in set a bit like a cosy kitchen and a larger more chilled room at the rear with sofa's and relaxed seating. Large choice of food (chilli, vegan fish and chips, wraps, salads, all day breakfasts, falafel, potato wedges and much much more). It's a bit on the pricey side but the portion sizes make up for it. They also do vegan roasts on a Sunday. The cake choice is amazing and mainly vegan including vanilla and blueberry cheesecakes. Free wi-fi is available and you can bring your own booze. All in all a great place and I will be visiting again.

Pros: range of food, free wi-fi, relaxed

Cons: pricey

Ocean 09 Festival - Edit

Enjoyed the presence of Jack Sprats team at Ocean 09 festival thsi weekend...food was awesome, especially the veggie curry. I will definitely eat there again, lovely people too.

Pros: good portions, excellent food-care taken, friendly staff

Recent Lunch - Edit

We had a really pleasant lunch. The choice was qood, and the atmosphere was very welcoming. The portion size was very generous, and was very good value for money. The cafe was very clean and comfortable, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. There was a choice of desserts, but we were too full following a main course to try any.

Pros: reasonable choice for vegans, friendly staff, very good value

Cons: not open in evenings yet

Return to Newcastle Upon Tyne Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Jack Sprats Vegetarian Vegan Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 729 times since Sep 2008.