Jack Chen

• Veg-friendly

59 Maple St (at Route 83, next to Dunkin Donuts), East Longmeadow, Massachusetts, USA, 01028

Serves meat, vegan options available. Jack Chen Chinese Restaurant & Asian Vegetarian Cuisine. While the menu is heavy on typical meat dishes, there are also some dishes labeled as "Pan Asian vegetarian" and "special health & diet" dishes. The pad thai noodle comes with texturized soy protein chick-n.

Category: Ovo, Chinese, Thai, Delivery, Take-out, Asian, Non-veg

First Review by Roving Nutritarian

Extremely Healthy Cooking Style for Vegan Dishes - Edit

I went to the other location for this restaurant, "Jack Chen II" in Springfield, MA, at 1193 Summer Ave. The best thing about the "Special Health and Diet" portion of the menu is that they cook the dishes with no oil, which is great for a nutritarian like myself. They have a couple signature dishes (I got the American Buddhist Delight), and then various similar combination plates of cooked vegetables, which they steam. They do not use cornstarch or salt, and you can get your choice of sauce on the side: brown, garlic, white, or black bean sauce.

The vegetables available in the various combinations are: snow peas, string beans, baby corn, black mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, bean curd, eggplant, and tofu.

While it may not be the very best I have ever tasted, it is very good, and it is certainly the most healthfully cooked food at a restaurant like this that I can remember ever having.

MORE VEGGIE PROTEIN THAN OTHER RESTAURANTS - Edit

The Jack Chen Chinese Restaurant has Asian Vegetarian Cuisine dinners which come with more texturized veggie soy protein than any other Chinese restaurant we've been to in the USA! You can eat there or get take-out. We've tried all ten of the entrees on their Pan Asian Vegetarian menu. Our favorite is the newest one, which isn't listed except on the wall at the restaurant: Vegan Pad Thai with vegetables. They will make it just the way we like it with low oil, no added salt and less spice. They do not use msg! You can have the veggie Chick-N or veggie beeef substituted in any entree on the menu. Another favorite is V8 with Basil, veggies & soy protein in a delicious sauce. It comes with white or brown (medium grain) rice. They also use separate knives/spoons for vegetarian/vegan items. There have been a number of times when we've been from 10 to 23 miles away and close to other Asian restaurants. However, because of the quality and great service at Jack Chen of East Longmeadow, we've gone out of our way for their food. They are easy to find--next to Dunkin Donuts and are about 500 ft from the town center & Rt 83.

Pros: Excellent food, friendly family, park in front

Return to East Longmeadow Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jack Chen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 622 times since Jul 2011.