ION - It's Only Natural Restaurant

Contact 860-346-9210

606 Main St, Middletown, Connecticut, USA, 06457

Vegetarian turned vegan restaurant, established 1987. ION offers a breakfast as well lunch/dinner menu, plus juices, smoothies, whole vegan cakes to take home, and fresh baked bread. Weekly and daily specials. Hosts workshops on organic gardening, raw food demo, and cooking. Re-opened here Sept 2013 after move from 386 Main St. Open Tue-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 11:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Pizza, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by A3TIMECUSTOMER

YAAAS - Edit

Their food is AMAZING again like it was when they opened, or even better! In my opinion, the restaurant went through a rough patch a few years ago but that is so over. Recently my family and I ate here and we got a bunch of food to split and nothing was disappointing. Their maple bacon burger was a bit strange because the bacon was tough a chewy but the delicious flavors made up for that fact. Also their coconut cake is RIDICULOUS.

Pros: So freaking good, Friendly staff, Classy environment

Cons: Expensive, A bit of a long wait for food

best vegan restaurant in Connecticut - Edit

Can't say enough great things about this place. Delicious food for vegans and people who aren't vegan but are there with their pals eating vegan food. Great staff. Relaxed atmosphere.

Renana 26 Mar 2017 - Awww, THANK YOU!

Great food, eclectic, laid back atmosphere - Edit

Totally vegan menu makes things easy, and I have never been disappointed by a selection. Delicious food- southern fried tofu is my favorite! Also one of the few vegan brunch places. Quirky decor and well stocked bar. Service is a little slow sometimes but with the right company, it's no biggie. Love this place! Gem in central CT.

Pros: Totally vegan, Comfort food, Brunch on the weekend

Cons: Service a tad slow sometimes

Best vegan restaurant in CT - Edit

I have been eating at ION for years and have seen them go through several menu changes (including the time when they offered fish and cheese!), location changes, and management changes. NOW is their BEST time that I have ever experienced. The menu is small but every item is delicious - there is not wrong choice! The atmosphere is hip and clean (this was not always the case) and service is excellent (again, it was not always this way).

If you haven't been there yet, follow ION on Instagram - you'll get to see their amazing dishes and get a feel for the friendly, fun, atmosphere as well.

Oh, and if you do go, don't skip dessert! The coconut cake is unparalleled!

Pros: 100% vegan, Coconut cake, Vibe

Cons: Expensive ($16 for a wrap!), Smaller portions

Amazing food, but poor service - Edit

Let me start off by saying that the menu selection and the food here is outstanding. In that aspect, it's a vegan's paradise in this area! However, my overall experience wasn't great due to the poor service. When my boyfriend and I walked in we weren't greeted, and we weren't sure if it was seat yourself or if we should wait for a host. The staff just stood behind the bar and stared at us, so we took a seat. It wasn't a very welcoming environment, at least the time we went. Additionally, the group sitting by us were smoking! Is this allowed? It really put a damper on our experience. I probably won't be back to dine here again, however I will most definitely get takeout!

Pros: Delicious food, Superb menu selection , Large portions

Cons: Smoking allowed, Poor service, Not inviting

Renana 26 Mar 2017 - Smoking is NOT allowed. I'm sorry the staff wasn't attentive, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you come back.

satisfied customer - Edit

So glad I found this vegan spot.Will deffinetly go with my best friend when I visit Connecticut again .Staff very friendly and food delish!!!

Pros: best vegan restaurant in ct so far :)

Renana 26 Mar 2017 - Thank You!

three decades of change - Edit

Opened in 1987, ION is an enduring classic, a true survivor, and a beacon of vegan cuisine during most of its three decades long legacy. As a faithful patron since 1988, I have observed ION undergo many transformations.

It evolved into ION 8.0 in September 2013 when it relocated a few blocks north up Main Street, eerily close to its original location from which it had moved 15 years earlier. ION downsized both its menu and its space. I’m thankful that ION adapted, but lament the loss of most of my favorite dishes. The new space is cozy and sunny. The new plush seats are really comfy, almost like living room sofas, a welcomed upgrade from the narrow rickety wooden chairs of that of many other veg restaurants.

One very heartening change which I hail is its decision soon after its move to dump cow cheese as one of its three cheese options, which it had offered for ten years. So now ION 8.5 has reclaimed its legacy as a truly vegan restaurant.

Early in 2014, it incarnated into ION 9.0 when the menu changed to fit the specialties of its new chef, rather than the new chef adapting to the specialties of the restaurant. ION rewrote a new and slimmer menu, yet again. Some savory entrées and apps added just a year earlier were edged out. Only the wine and beer list had lengthened, of no interest to me. The newly truncated menu tended toward spicy Tex-Mex, unfortunately for me not among my favorite ethnic cuisines. Its once high nutritional standards had descended a few notches. Many of the dishes were pan-fried or deep-fried, highly refined tofu and overly processed seitan had edged out more wholesome tempeh. There was not much choice outside of fried foods and Tex-Mex and tofu and seitan.

In 2016, ION changed yet again and ascended into a divine ION 10.0, this latest incarnation now full-circle upon the part-time return of masterful head chef Ken Bergeron. Oldsters such as myself will remember Ken as the founder of ION when it debuted in 1987. Ken has migrated the menu out of Texas and Mexico and into Europe and Asia and back into New England.

If you were disappointed with ION in the recent past, do give it another try, because ION has reclaimed its legacy as a stellar vegan restaurant.

Pros: the all vegan cuisine, comfy seating and interior, Ken Bergeron

Renana 26 Mar 2017 - Interesting.

Great dining experience - Edit

My non-vegan friend took me and my husband (both vegans) here for lunch on Saturday while visiting the area. It's a beautiful establishment, very clean and "zen" inside. The menu was wonderful, with delicious options. We tried the nachos, pirogies, "enchalade", buffalo tofu wrap, and two of the desserts. Everything tasted great! Service has pleasant and prompt. The prices were a bit higher than comparable vegan restaurants in NYC, but nothing crazy. Definitely recommend.

Pros: Variety , Desserts

Happy Belly - Edit

The buffalo tofu wrap is my favorite...well or maybe the southern fried tofu. I can't decide! The food is great, they give you good portions for the price and you can't help but try to eat it all in one sitting. I'm always walking out of there with a very full but happy belly. Oh and the fries, so good! Drool.

Pros: Buffalo Tofu, Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner Options, Handmade!

Cons: Price

disappointing - Edit

This restaurant has gone DOWNHILL from the original owners. It no longer offers the vegan options it used to. Very disappointing. I would not recommend wasting your time!

Pros: not many

Cons: few vegan options, no raw options

Renana 26 Mar 2017 - Sorry you feel that way, but I am STILL the owner, and the original owner, Chef Ken Bergeron, still gives us his opinion. I think you would be pleasantly surprised if you gave us another chance.

my favorite!! - Edit

I love love love this place! The atmosphere is very earthy & relaxed, while the food is very much alive with flavor. ION offers many more gluten free options now which I love. I'm vegan while some of my friends are full on meat eaters & they love this place just as much as I do. I recommend this heavenly place to everyone

Pros: 100% vegan , atomosphere , location

Cons: parking can be difficult

AMAZING - Edit

This is my favorite place. The food is delicious. I've even taken non-vegans there and they thought the food was delicious. Definitely one of the coolest vegan joints I've been to.

Pros: Food tastes amazing, always new menu options, you can even eat outside

Cons: a bit pricy

Fair - Edit

I'm vegan and a few years ago I used to love this place. Then they got really bad (one of the former owners now runs GZen, which is much better). Despite the bad service and food -- including a particularly poor valentines night -- I seem to just keep giving them one more chance. Not a fan of the new location; noisy and I have left with my clothes smelling of grease. Went very recently to try out the new chef, but most of their menu seems unchanged, and it still seems like the only good food is deep fried; not what I want. Deep fried tofu is delicious, but where are the healthy choices offered by places like Six Main? For what they charge at IoN, I struggle to find positives. I want so badly for this place to be good again, but it's not that way yet. The Tibetan place a few doors down has better food for much less $$

It's a whole new place - Edit

I have seen and do not understand the less than stellar reviews about this place. The restaurant relocated down the street from its former location last year, and had kind of a soft re-opening (sparce decor, limited menu items... I agree that was a bummer). However, every time I have been there since, the decor and atmosphere has improved in some way. It's a wonderful setting now, comfortable and inviting.

But let's talk about the food! They also updated their menu, adding new, creative things to their existing popular menu items. I have eaten here probably 20 times, with vegetarians, meat eaters and vegans alike, and everyone has always loved whatever meal they ordered. I find the food to be innovative and delicious, and very reasonably priced. I also have always had good experience with the service.

If you've tried it and didn't like it, do yourself a favor and try again.

Pros: creative tasty food, good atmosphere, good value

Renana 26 Mar 2017 - I completely agree! Thank You

slow service - Edit

We went as a table of 4. A vegan, a vegetarian, a meat eater and one who eats gluten free. The restaurant only had a few occupied tables, but the service was very slow. There were quite a few ingredients they didn't have, making the gluten free choices almost nonexistent. The wait for the food was way too long.

Fun place, decent food - Edit

For a few years, ION was my favorite veg/vegan restaurant. I love the laid-back and funky atmosphere, the holidays lights hung around the windows and then piled into glass jars on the windowsill, the chalkboard-top tables for my kids, the fun things to look at while dining on the deck, and all of the various artwork from local artists. I enjoyed the food for the longest time too. But then Six Main in Chester opened and I now view ION's food as veg/vegan "fast food". I still love being at ION, but I don't enjoy the food like I used to. I would consider the waitstaff to be polite, but quiet & reserved. Sometimes the service can be slow, but it has been rare in my experiences.

Pros: casual & funky atmosphere

Cons: veg/vegan "fast food"

Return to Middletown Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has ION - It's Only Natural Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.