Contact 011-6768436

Chuo-ku, Minami 2-Jonishi, 23 Chome 1-23, Sutashio 23, Sapporo, Japan, 064-0802

Vegan restaurant opened since Dec 2012. Serve healthy traditional Japanese food with focus on organic and macrobiotic lifestyle. Has restaurants in London and Tokyo. The Sapporo restaurant is located in Maruyama with other vegan restaurants close by. Open Tue-Fri 11:30am-3:00pm, Tue-Fri 5:00pm-9:00pm, Sat 11:30am-9:00pm, Sun 11:30am-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Organic, Take-out

First Review by JesseD

Traditional Japanese food - Edit

I loved the Japanese and vegan mix here. It was great to see the owner (I presume, a lovely lady) cooking my food fresh. The restaurant itself felt very rustic and the ambiance was very relaxed. The highlight for me was the amazing banana ice cream at the end, so tasty!

A Japanese-style gem - Edit

We visited Itadakizen after spending a morning walking around nearby Maruyama Park. It was a cold winter day, and we were so happy to arrive in such a cozy and inviting little restaurant. I am an American who loves Japanese food, but being vegetarian, I often get to enjoy only a small range of it. So I was delighted by this restaurant. I probably would have given this restaurant a five-cow rating except that during the same week I had the pleasure to enjoy two vegetarian special-occasion meals that were specially prepared for me. This restaurant is good, but falls short compared to my friend's mom's cooking (as does most food).

We were there for lunch, and there was a choice between two set menus. I'm not sure whether the food would exactly fit the definition of kaiseki-style (because I don't know exactly what the parameters are), but it's at least kaiseki-like: many small dishes, carefully prepared. All were good, and a couple were great. While I'm sure we could have found a cheaper lunch in the area, I thought the price was very reasonable for the value.

The dining room is small and though the restaurant was mostly empty when we arrived, it was completely full by the time we left. We didn't plan to arrive slightly ahead of the lunch rush, but it turned out to be a good thing that we did.

One last thing: the woman who served us mentioned that they are scouting locations for a new branch in San Francisco!

Pros: Good value for price, Near Maruyama Park

A very pleasant experience... - Edit

I found this place easily with directions from the Happy Cow website and came here for both lunch and dinner. It is a cute space with a warm, rustic interior and soothing music playing. The staff were very friendly, asked me if I was vegan and how I knew about the restaurant. (Happy Cow of course, which they appreciated.) I was brought tea and utensils and an English menu with two lunch options and I chose the Kanseihan Tanno set for lunch and for dinner the sushi course for dinner. I won't go into individual details of the food, but I will say it was mostly delicious and always interesting and beautifully and intricately presented and served. With the number of courses and the preparation involved, it is a slow process. I was here on a very rainy day, so it suited me well. In the evening I sat at the table, drinking organic beer, enjoying the atmosphere. It is not cheap but if you want the dining experience it is not outrageously overpriced either, what you would expect to pay for three courses and drinks in a typical restaurant.

Pros: Great atmosphere , Intricately prepared food, Friendly service

Cons: Not cheap

In deep gratitude - Edit

Whether a vegan or not,the refined food served at itadaki Zen leaves one feeling replenished,light, and energetic.
Practicing alternative healthcare nearby,I've been gratefully taking out their lunch boxes for over a year. My favorite is the pan-fried rice ball brushed with a savory four-year-aged soy sauce:it is nutritionally-balanced,substantial,and convenient when on the go.
Located in Maruyama,one of western Sapporo's scenic commuter towns,river rocks welcome you into their stuccoed peaceful snug.
Adopting East Asian traditions and the macrobiotic diet,with perhaps a dash of oriental medicine,their cooking remind me of dietary heritage from Buddhist monks:simple,wholesome,and yet not bland.Variety of flavours,colors,and textures served in small portions are festive and should whet anyone's appetite.
Needless to say,the dishes are prepared with skill and care,putting togather fresh,seasonal,locally grown,and organic produce available;they must consciously balance food energy and the vast array of nutrients,too.Along with the staff's courteous service,itadaki Zen has a harmonious ambience for dinning-all in all adding up to a kind of spiritual experience.
So smack your lips over uplifting cooking.Positive vibrations put into each dish will restore your health and make you feel satisfied on a deep level.Are we not all in need for such food to stay calm,centered,and well?

Amazing atmosphere - Edit

They say that while traveling, you should always eat in the same place to make friends with the staff. I tried this theory during my 3 day stay at Sapporo. The first time I was really late but went to check if it was still open. It wasn't, but they opened the door anyway and sold me a bento box. They were really nice and talkative.
On my second night I went back and had a delicious Japanese-Vegan set. I was alone but talked a lot with the cook. On the third night she offered me cheaper options but I ended up spending the same amount of money because everything was really delicious. The theory was truth, I ended up exchanging mails with the cook and we still write to each other.
The place is cozy, with mud walls the owner made herself. They play really nice relaxing music.

Pros: English speaking staff, Beautiful and traditional atmosphere

Cons: Won't speak Japanese even if you do, lol, Tiny from the outside, hard to find

Lovely ♥ Very Japanese feeling ! - Edit

First of all, I'm not sure why the reviewer below complains about an open kitchen. Most Japanese restaurants have open kitchens, and this one was not as open as some I've been to!
The staff were really lovely too!

We went for lunch and had the lunch set which was various little Japanese dishes, a tofu bake thing as the main, and a carrot jelly for dessert. It was really delicious food !

They also offer a refill for rice and although it is already enough food, the rice was so amazing (it had barley and other things in) I ended up asking for a little more.

They give you refills of tea(I'm not sure what type it was) instead of water, which tasted lovely and great if it's cold weather (which it is right now).

We also got two hot drinks afterwards, itadakizen tea and oriental coffee. Both were really good. If you like sweet milky things I definitely recommend you try the tea, it was amazing! The coffee is black and had a roasted flavour.

They gave us two of their sushis to try for free, which was very kind of them! And I bought some takeout sushi at the end which was convenient for busy days sightseeing.

The overall cost for both of us only came to about 4000 which I think is really good value for the amount of food along with the delicious drinks and the takeout sushi too!

Pros: Lovely Japanese style and atmosphere, Delicious food !, Good value at lunch

Expensive and uncomfortably quiet - Edit

I see people like this restaurant, but I am a bit unsure of it. The food is really expensive (around 3000-4000 YEN per person for a set menu) and you only have a couple of choices on the menu (all set menus). It´s traditional Japanese food, the vegan way. The food may be exiting or too strange for people not used to Japanese food, and the portions are small. You will be served a special tea and not water.

We were the only two guests at that time of evening, and the quiet atmosphere left us uncomfortable: Like we could n´t speak freely. The kitchen is open, and sometimes the owner´s kids will sit in the restaurant and do their homework. Not saying this is a negative, as they were very quiet, but it kinda makes the whole situatuon a bit awkward.
I don´t understand how they manage to run this restaurant with so little costumers.

Cons: Too quiet - almost uncomfortable, Expensive, No water

Our go-to place in Sapporo - Edit

The best vege meal in town. Organic ingredients cooked creatively with full flavours and good nutritional balance. We enjoyed both their lunch and dinner menus. Dinner comes out as a course (we went for the sushi course which is the biggest) and is satisfying to say the least - a string of interesting dishes topped off with a healthy pumpkin based dessert. Some nice teas on the menu too - try the Itadakizen tea, it's divine!

Lunch was no disappointment either - a condensed and smaller (but still very satisfying) version of the dinner fare and at a really reasonable price.

The menu is full of interesting health related snippets that make for a fun read whilst you wait. Interior feels like a hobbit's den, with cosy handmade mud walls.

You can actually buy their sushi to go from the organic store just down the road (called Raru Batake), which we did on one occasion.

Oh and did I mention the food here is organic? What's there not to love about it. Sapporo would be much less vege friendly without it.

Pros: Healthy; Friendly, knowledgeable staff, Nicely presented - a fun experience, Organic ingredients

Cons: Can't think of any...!

Nice atmosphere and staff - Edit

I had a strange experience here, but since it has no other reviews I thought I'd write about it anyway, partly just to clarify the location.

I spent about half an hour trying to find it. Their address (from their website) pasted into Google Maps doesn't work, however the Happycow address is nearly correct. I've updated Happycow, but in the meantime the correct location is here:

When I arrived they were obviously closed, because they had been serving lunchboxes to an eco-products festival that day (which I wish I'd known about!). Seeing that I'd obviously taken the subway and trudged through the snow to find it, they kindly sold me a bento (lunchbox) presumably left over from the day's event, and kindly allowed me to eat it there, even though they were clearly busy after a long day's work. The staff were very friendly, and spoke good English.

So I can't comment much on the food, but the staff were very friendly, the interior was very pleasant and if the bento I had was anything to go by their food is probably very good. I plan on trying their branch in Tokyo, and I'd recommend trying this place too, just perhaps call ahead first to check they're open.

Pros: nice atmosphere, friendly, welcoming staff, probably good food (see above)

Cons: a bit hard to find - see my map above

Return to Sapporo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Itadakizen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2686 times since Dec 2013.