Isoya Japanese Vegetarian

Contact +852-55008812

9/F, 83 Wan Chai Rd, Wan Chai, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China,

居素屋日本野菜料理, at 灣仔灣仔道83號9樓 is the 2nd Japanese restaurant of Joe Hui in HK. English menu & spoken. Contemporary decor. High end. Open Mon-Sat 12:00pm-2:30pm, Mon-Sat 6:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Japanese, Take-out

First Review by HKveggie

Good vegan Japanese - Edit

The place is clean and organised. Food is very well presented. Lunch set was great. Went with a friend who is not vegan and she liked it too.

Pros: Service is quick.

Cons: Near the wet market where you will seeots of dead

Isoya Japanese Vegetarian, Hong Kong - Edit

I was in here last night talking with Joe who is the manager. It was interesting talking with him in that he said to further improve the standards of Isoya:-

* cheese has been removed from the menu due to concerns with cheese being possibly manufactured with animal derived rennet

* he has been in touch with the manufacturers of Born Saké who say that Born Saké is animal friendly

Updated from previous review on Saturday November 01, 2014
Updated from previous review on Friday December 11, 2015

Updated from previous review on Monday December 21, 2015

Pros: No cheese used, Manager says the Sake is verified vegan

Mixed feelings - Edit

Had dinner here with a friend. They only do set meals: a regular kaiseki set, a seasonal cherry blossom-themed kaiseki set, and a soy milk hotpot set (available for parties of two or more). All are priced at HKD300+ plus 10% service charge. Not everything is vegan, but they will gladly swap out non-vegan courses upon request. Each table can choose from any two of those sets regardless of the size of the group—a policy they said they put in place to avoid confusion, which we couldn't quite wrap our heads around, but anyway…

Both of us ordered the seasonal cherry blossom set. The food was hit or miss. Some courses were better than the others, but none was great. I enjoyed the almond tofu appetizer, the soy milk chawanmushi, and the udon noodles, but not too impressed with the tempura and the sushi plate. The former was too heavy and greasy, didn’t taste like much other than fried batter. The latter was just so ordinary and wasn’t any better than what you can get grab-and-go at the local supermarket. It did feature a fried cherry blossom sushi to make it look more special, but it was a bland, oily dud. As a whole, the meal felt like a dumbed-down kaiseki. The execution and sophistication simply wasn’t there. Oh, and because I couldn’t eat the dairy ice-cream for dessert, they gave me a strawberry instead. Yes, singular, one.

At this price point, I expected more from the food. Good thing the staff was very nice people and the setting was clean and modern in a zen way. I also appreciate their trying to bring something new and different to the local veg*n scene. This would've been a 3 from me, but I added another 0.5 because of that and rounded this up to a 4.

Pros: décor, service

Cons: pricey, so-so food

Fantastic Japanese vegetarian restaurant - Edit

I have eaten at Isoya twice for dinner. The set menu consists of a number of imaginative small courses which are all really well presented and are fresh and tasty. The quality of the food is far better than any other vegetarian restaurant we have been to in HK and having lived in the city for 15 years we have been to most of them. The staff are friendly and welcoming and I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who enjoys fresh food which is well cooked and well presented. The price of the food is very reasonable particularly given the high quality of the food. Looking forward to going back again soon!

Pros: Great tasting fresh food, Imaginative dishes, Friendly and welcoming

Cons: None!

5 Responses

Stevie Hi HKveggie,

Can I politely ask please if you have any affiliation to this restaurant? I ask since:-

* date you created your happycow id - 31 Dec '14
* date of this review - 31 Dec '14
* date you last logged in - 31 Dec '14
* other reviews written - none

Its also interesting that your gushing review of Isoya reads like an advertisment. This is is for example with the comment stating Isoya is better than the other vego restaurants in HK

Any info in reply to this is much appreciated.

Keep well, Stevie

Stevie Hi again HKVeggie,

Your previous reply said a lot of things without directly answering the question. I'm continually humbled by things I uncover from different restaurants. Review rigging seems to be quite widespread in HK (and probably elsewhere as well as I've seen it in other places) is what I have been told by others. I've seen some signs of that on happycow elsewhere. There thus seemed no harm in asking. I am trying to glean some info from the manager of Isoya at the moment with regard to the level of rigour they have in their provision of vegetarian food. He responds but doesn't answer the questions. That to me doesn't inspire confidence. I'll update the review etc accordingly. If people are being sold items to consume as vegetarian that aren't in fact vegetarian, people have a right to know.

I of course apologise for any discomfort my questioning caused.

Best wishes of the season and for 2016.

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Isoya Japanese Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2675 times since Oct 2014.