Island Taco

808-338-9895

9643 Kaumualii Hwy (at /on Kauai), Waimea, Hawaii, USA, 96796

Serves meat, vegan options available. Casual atmosphere. Has veg burritos, chimis, and tacos with these three options: bean and cheese, shoyu curry tofu, and cilantro lime tofu. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-5:00pm.

Category: Lacto, American, Fast food, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by CatherineH

tasty but doesn't even know what vegetarian means! - Edit

Our hotel was near the Poipu location so we went to that one... I asked if their rice and beans had any animal products in it and the cashier said no, they don't have any lard in them. Then she handed me their paper menu that said "vegetarian/vegan menu". She said "you can have anything in here." I opened it up and look through it and was confused. It was their entire regular menu but didn't have beef in it. I can't remember what she said but then I said something like "well you know that fish and chickens and pigs are still animals so this isn't vegetarian" and she kind of shrugged like "okay if you say so"...I am pretty sure that when I ordered I mentioned we were vegan, but when the order came there was sour cream as a side (in a plastic ramekin so easily removed). Anyway, it was good but the "vegetarian/vegan" menu thing just really shocked me. I appreciate that they did have a tofu option though. (There's also a Puka Dog stand like 30 ft away with veggie hot dogs and a gelato place with a whole ton of non-dairy options next door.)

nice lunch - Edit

They had a few varieties of tofu - the salad was fair. The burrito was better. The chips and salsa were very good! Staff was very nice

Tofu tacos - Edit

Good lunch stop, with a few vegan options. Nice to have vegan tacos that actually have tofu/protein on them! Big portions, even just the single taco, and filling. Not the most flavour (I got the cilantro lime), but still good. Comes with a side of chips and really good salsa! They also have a location in Poipu.

Yuck - Edit

My husband and I went to Island Taco because of the reviews here on Happy Cow. What a waste of money. They offer two varieties of vegan tacos; the difference is only the seasoning on the tofu. I tried cilantro lime, which is apparently their most popular flavor. The flavor itself was fine, but the overall taco was pretty awful...deep-fried tofu made the whole thing way too greasy. And cabbage instead of lettuce is just...odd. My husband, who eats fish, ordered the ahi taco, and was asked if he wanted that vegan. Huh? He didn't like his tacos, either, and neither of us finished lunch. Do yourself a favor and skip this place...go across the street to Coconut Corner and get some fruit instead.

Cons: Greasy, Expensive , Not like any taco I've ever had!

Best veg tacos ever! - Edit

Like the other post, I'd give this a 6 out of 5 if they didn't serve meat.

It was tough to find good veg food on Kauai, but this hit the spot. Moreover, the tofu and refried bean tacos (both vegan) turned out to be the best tacos I've ever had. They will not disappoint!

Pros: TACOS!, Pre-canyon local, Near Jo-Jo's

Cons: Serves meat

Best tofu tacos EVER! - Edit

Wow - this place was so good, we made the drive from the north shore an extra time just to have their tacos! We LOVED the cilantro lime tofu tacos so much, we may plan our next trip to Kauai completely around dining at Island Taco. We've dined at many, many restaurants throughout Kauai in the last couple years and these guys are hands-down the best. I also lived in Phoenix for years so have had a lot of great tacos and honestly, these beat everything I've tasted elsewhere. So fresh, flavors are just right, prices VERY reasonable (especially for the great portions) and the service so friendly.

You can use Waimea Canyon as an excuse to go here, but no matter what, you have to make this a part of your Kauai trip!!

The rating system on Happy Cow will only let me give 4 cows since they also serve fish, but secretly, we give them SIX cows!

Return to Waimea Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Island Taco closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.