First Review by sue29

Nice staff, decent selection - Edit

No place is perfect, but this store has a good selection of products and is easy to get around in and find things. It's also nice, new and clean. I find they are always adding things and if you subscribe to their newsletter it is full of good stuff. Also the last Wednesday of the month is 20% off day, so if you are in their system (by phone #) you get the deal that day. Warning, it's busy on that one day and shelves get cleared.

They have lots of produce (though I'd wish for more selection) and often have large bulk bags perfect for juicing. They also have bulk bins and if you go around you'll find some good sales on occasion. I wouldn't describe the store as affordable, but it's reasonable for the most part and at least it's high quality. I did notice their ice cream on the top of their freezers is all freezer burnt. I'm thinking they don't sell a lot of it or need to rotate it more.

The staff will listen if you want them to stock something and they have a huge vitamin/supplement section which isn't as important for me for the most part. Also a little cafe is attached for a snack or juice/smoothie. They do stock some items for your kitchen like nut bag, juicers, and knick knacks. Hard to find flour and baking things are usually there too for vegan recipes as well non dairy cheese and yogurts. Make sure to read the labels though because a lot of the packaged items they carry are not necessarily vegan friendly and they do stock meat and regular dairy (which is fine, I'm just sayin').

It's a good store, highly recommended, and I'm there about once a week.

Pros: Clean, Friendly, Good selection

Best place to shop for vegan stuff in Nanaimo! - Edit

I really love them for their selection of organic and vegan products, plus really great customer service. They often have good sales, plus each month, they have a special discount day where you save 20% on almost everything in the store, which is great for stocking up on expensive supplements. They are also really good about doing orders for products not on the shelves - I've ordered vegan vitamins through them and bulk quantities of stuff.

Pros: Excellent selection, Friendly folks , Nice produce

Cons: Location

average health food store - Edit

I live in Nanaimo,but I would rather drive to Duncan and shop at the Community Store and the Garage.Island Naturals is run of the mill,moderate selection,not a lot of local products.It is okay,but if you have the opportunity go to Duncan instead.

Return to Nanaimo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Island Natural Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1489 times since Nov 2008.