Island Kitchen and Base

Contact 080-7013-5231

Nishiku, Kitahorie, 1-16-27, Osaka, Japan,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Osaka's first Jamaican vegetarian friendly bar/grill with dishes that are vegan or can be made vegan. Near Starbucks at Yotsubashi. The owner/chef trained in London. Last orders at 3:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Beer/Wine, Jamaican, Non-veg

First Review by Vegeiko

Bright and Flavourful Vegan Food - Edit

I visited this place for the first time today and really enjoyed it.
It's a cheerful, true-to-its name (bright colours and Jamaican music), tiny hole in the wall with a friendly owner and good energy. It really is tiny - just a kitchen with an L-shaped counter, and the customers sitting on the long side have to squeeze in to allow anyone to walk behind in order to get to the washroom. Despite it being cramped, I still enjoyed tucking myself into the corner with a friend, and being served our tapas over the counter straight to us. The vegan lunch options are a pita wrap with a veggie pattie, or a variety of sets involving rice, salad, and your choice of tapas (small side dishes). The daily tapas selection was quite large, with lots of nice options. We opted for the spring rolls, quinoa burger patty, creamy cucumbers & peppers, pumpkin soup, and radish "steak." Everything was tasty! I like my food with next-to-no oil (if not none), so I would have preferred a bit less of that. Otherwise though everything was well balanced, carefully prepared, and I felt great afterwards. Will go back!
The combo lunch set we each had (rice + salad, 4 tapas and a mini drink) was 1,000 yen each.
They also have vegan banana bread and brownies, which we didn't try but looked yummy!

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-16

Pros: Great flavours and menu selection, Nice owner , Unique

Cons: Tiny space, Serves meat , A little too oily

Jamaican groove in Osaka! - Edit

Located near Yotsubashi / Horie area, I had a lunch set of ¥1000, you can pick three kinds of Jamaican-inspired meals! The owner lady was so nice and funky we immediately became best friends! Open lunch time only, you can take out the foods!

Return to Osaka Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Island Kitchen and Base closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1656 times since Jan 2014.