CLOSED: Isla del Tesoro - Atocha

Contact +34-91-3697373

Calle de Atocha 12, Madrid, Spain, 28012

Second location in Madrid. Vegans to specify. Reservations suggested. Reported closed to HappyCow Oct 2013. Open .

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, International, Western, Beer/Wine, Asian, Spanish

First Review by JanMarieHancock

A Bit Too Fancy For This Solo Traveler - Edit

This was a nice restaurant and I really enjoyed the food. If I was in Madrid with my significant other, I think this would have been a fine place to take her. As at it was, I was a solo traveler and felt a bit out of place eating alone here, honestly (and I've gotten very used to eating alone during this trip). However, that doesn't change the fact that the service and food was good!

Amazing! - Edit

How can I complain about a vegetarian restaurant that convinced my omnivore to continue trying more veggie meals? We had an AMAZING date night at Isla del Tesoro. Everything we tried was fantastic. Hope to visit both Madrid and Isla again soon!

Pros: great food, price, location

No so moderate price - Edit

Close to "Plaza Mayor" (don't go to Atocha station based in the name of the street) is placed this restaurant with two big floors and dozens of tables. The deco is nice and charming. Quiet ambience. Expensive price: a standard 3 courses can cost 30 - 35 euros. Starters no so good like the main course. Most of them are vegan (marked with V)or almost vegan adaptables (the cheese is changed to tofu but no to vegan cheese, honey is changed to caramel, etc). Recommended the "Solomillo salvaje" and the "Jungle Hamburger". One of the two vegan dessert, carrot cake, was excellent.

Pros: Biog and beauty place, Most vegan options and marked, Centrical

Cons: Expensive

Upscale Vege Restaurant - Edit

This dark (mood lighting) upscale restaurant in Madrid serves delicious food. Being more high end the portions were on the smaller side however I didn't leave hungry. The staff although friendly didn't always serve me what I wanted (due to language barriers) however I didn't mind as the alternative they provided was lovely. An aperitif was given to me which I didn't request but I was charged for(only 1.5 euro so didn't break the bank).

Probably not a place for solo diners but for people in a group it is excellent.

Best food I have found in 27 years - Edit

I became a vegetarian in 1987 and by far the best food I have found is at Isla del Tesoro, Atocha, Madrid, Spain.
I love The Spot in Hermosa Beach, CA and Rosetta's Kitchen in Asheville, NC but Isla has by far the most fresh, creative, and tasty dishes I have experienced. There are also plenty of celiac friendly choices for those that suffer. The room is warm and inviting and the staff is fiendly even to those with poor spanish speaking skills. Prices are reasonable and portions perfect. Foodies take note !!

Pros: Fresh food, good value, very creative

Nice Restaurant - Edit

It was nice to find a slightly more upscale vegetarian restaurant in Madrid. The prices were not high, but the atmosphere was a bit "fancier" than the usual vegetarian places I had eaten at in Spain. Great food, really well prepared and very nice service. The menu also had a nice variety from the usual fare. There was one dish I ordered not understanding that it was one or the other based on the season (I was trying to get by in Spanish only) and it was not something to my liking (I am not a big fan of cucumbers, not that the dish was "bad"). Since it was my own fault, I did say anything. The waiter noticed that I did not like it and offered to replace it with something else on the menu. It was really incredible service and it was clear how much they cared about their customers' experience. Everything else I had I loved and wished I had gone there sooner as I would have definitely gone back a second time.

Pros: Great food, Terrific Staff, Nice Portions

Great Vegetarian Restaurant - Edit

We had dinner there in February, 2012. You must book ahead of time as the restaurant is always full. Food is fantastic. Size is big. We had starter of tofu pie which is really delicious followed by wonton ravioli made from mushroom - again this one tastes fantastic then followed by main courses. The dishes are very creative and presentation looks very up market. The taste is very international and very tasty. I will recommend this place to people who are vegetarian and people with celiac disease - not so much for vegan. The combination of flavour and ingredients are really creative and tasty. A must try if you are in Madrid. Will definitely go back there again. Ambience of the restaurant is very cosy with feelings of being in an dreamy island overlooking the blue sky and having very healthy meals. Ask for English menu - they have.

Pros: Excellent food, healthy cuisine, wonderful ambience

2 Responses

Best Vegetarian Restaurant in Madrid - Edit

I have been living in Madrid for 2 years now. I am a working mother and although not a complete vegetarian, I want to make sure my family and myself eat as healthy as possible. A friend recommended this restaurant in Calle Atocha as an option for our company Christmas lunch. I work for a small company so I didn't tell anybody we were actually going to a Veggie Restaurant and to my surprise, everyone was so pleased with the result. They have some non-veggie options (slow organic food) so everyone was more than pleased. I went back the next night with my husband and two little kids and the service was just fantastic helping us to feel as comfortable as possible with the kids. An absolutely recommendable restaurant with excellent food and service and good prices. I have to go back to try their several "Menu del día" options (they concentrate on a different country each day. Something like: Mondays - Morroccan veggie menu / Tuesdays: Arabic veggie, etc.)

Pros: Healthy cuisines, Good value, Friendly Staff

Return to Madrid Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Isla del Tesoro - Atocha closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 360 times since Nov 2011.