Inno Veggie

Opened May 2014. Dinner is a buffet Mon-Fri (6:30-9:30pm). Menu is misleading regarding egg and dairy content in dishes. Bright interior with contemporary design and clean decor. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-3:00pm, 6:00pm-10:30pm. Last orders 9:30pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Western, Take-out

First Review by NancyJoeFrench

Decent veggie buffet - Edit

Visited this place on a weeknight with my family for dinner. There was a choice of the buffet for HKD 128 a person or a la carte menu. The place was generally full.

The first wait staff didn't speak any English but they called a very friendly waitress across who was able to explain what the deal was. My mum doesn't eat onions or garlic and she confirmed they don't use them. I am vegan - she helpfully pointed out items that aren't suitable (pizza, salad dressing, and she confirmed no eggs in the fried rice or paratha).

We were lucky that this waitress spoke English as otherwise communication could be an issue.

The restaurant is bright and airy so quite pleasant to sit in.

Found the food good. Wasn't incredible but I did enjoy it. There is a strange combination of a few western fast food style items (fries, pasta, pizza, as well as lots of Chinese items). Tea is included. I liked the sweet aubergine, and spicy Sichuan style bean sprouts and mushroom dish. There was also a nice lotus root dish. Had a small bowl of sweet corn soup. Wasn't fussed by the desserts.

Note they have redone their menu, which is ring bound to a pretty wooden board, indicating which items contain milk although they don't have a similar marker for egg.

Buffet available during the week only.

Pros: nice setting , decent choice for buffet , good opening hours

Cons: may be difficult to communicate

they still don't understand veganism - Edit

I had a friend ask in Cantonese which items were vegan or not. They pointed to one dish on the buffet that apparently had egg in it, but there were at least 4 others that I could visibly see were NOT vegan (I saw pizza, mayo on salad, etc.) I had another friend ask another staff member and they still seemed to not know or care. I was very apprehensive to try anything from the buffet!

Also, I asked a staff member at the counter about which jar was soy sauce and he literally just looked at me and walked away. Don't go in here if you're not a local.

The food I DID eat wasn't amazing and there are so many other veggie buffets I'd rather go to in Hong Kong.

Nice surprise - Edit

The last time I came was 2 years ago. Apparently they recently renovated / fully refurnished the place (which I did not recognise) and also changed the menu. To the point that it wasn't yet translated into English. Eventually I managed to order a curry vegetable that was really tasty. But the mushrooms for the starter were less compelling. Price could be cheaper, but hey! this is HK and we are unfortunately getting used to paying more than we should. All in all, I'll surely come back next time I'm in the area.

Inno Veggie, Hong Kong - Edit

Updated from previous review on Wednesday October 28, 2015

An issue with this place is the accuracy of the labelling of egg / diary on the menu. I tried to get them to tackle this. Finally they added some stickers to the required places on the menu that had been missing such info. It was a disappointment when I next visited and the menu had an insert with a cheese dish with no milk icon on the menu. When asked, sure enough it was dairy cheese. Despair.

This place is run amateurishly. There seems no genuine attempt to understand the importance of providing an end to end service in catering for diet specialism. The dish mislabelling is a hazard to the health of people with allergies.

Until this is fixed I'm reluctant to give them business. When I ate there 2 or 3 times before this issue started food was OK without being anything special. Portion was small when I ate there at lunch time.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-25

Cons: Misleading dish labelling of dairy or egg

reasonably priced set lunch, nothing fantastic - Edit

perusing their cheaper tea set menu, none of the items suited my preference for fresh veggies over a heavy reliance on carbs/mock meat or simply strange combinations: cheesecake with salad? the friendly manager suggested that option A of their lunch set menu (secret curry with mixed vegetable 秘製雜菜咖哩) featured more veggies, which i went along wiith. it cost hkd46 (normally hkd42, but with 10 per cent service charge added on weekends).

i was served a pot of tea; a bowl of pumpkin/corn soup; and a dish of three tiny appetisers comprising tofu with sesame dressing, lettuce salad with vinaigrette dressing, and rather pathetic-looking curried potatoes (see photo). the set meal also came with a cup of soy milk, which, if you wish, you can add hkd3 more to substitute with some sort of taiwanese vinegar drink.

as advised, the curry (which came with a bowl of rice) did contain a reasonable amount of fresh veg: thai basil, thin slices of baby corn, cauliflower, okra, cherry tomato, long bean, coconut shreds. while i was initially suspicious of its dulux, plasticky shade of green, on the whole it was okay, though not great - somehow the curry flavours didn't seem to have permeated through the vegetables, at least compared to what i'm normally used to, so much so that i would even describe it as bland at points (when biting into the veg without the gravy). probably to cater to hk tastes, it was less on the spicy side and leant more towards sweet/coconut/oil, which left me with a very heavy, sticky feeling for a few hours.

online menu:
(if anyone from inno veggie is reading this, i'd suggest investing in an easily remembered domain name and proofreading the english menu.)

for hkd46 for a set lunch with appetisers, soup, tea and another drink, i should hardly be complaining. but my experience today was that, yes, it fills you up, but that's about all i can say about the meal. that said, i'm open to visiting it again to give other dishes a chance.

inno veggies is on fort street, one of the sloped back streets of north point, and its bright, spacious setting is a pleasant respite. a major plus point is that it opens till 10.30 pm, with the last order at 9.45 pm.
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 30, 2015

Pros: accepts payment by octopus, last order at 9.45 pm, nice setting

Cons: needs more fresh veg options for lunch/t, chipped crockery

Veggie Delight in North Point of Hong Kong - Edit

I was delighted to have my nephew's sister in law live so close to this Inno Veggie Restaurant. This was the best food ever! From the Watermelon Orange drink through the desert, I found everything to be fantastic delicious. Not to be missed.

Pros: Very clean, Great customer service, Great prices

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Inno Veggie closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2063 times.