IndoChin

• Veg-friendly
Contact 651-690-2728

1702 Grand Ave, St Paul, Minnesota, USA, 55105

Serves meat, vegan options available. Saint Paul Vietnamese restaurant with extensive menu that includes some dishes made with tofu, vegetable, and/or mock duck. Comes with steamed rice. Some of the meat dishes can be made vegan with mock duck or tofu upon request. Replaced Huong Sen Vietnamese under different ownership.

Category: Ovo, Take-out, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by condekedar

horrible - Edit

I went to indochin and asked for a vegetarian dish made vegan so no shrimp oil or chicken broth. The lady brought out a plate full of veggies, then I realized there were also chunks of crab and shrimp on my plate. I asked her if it was a mistake and she said vegetarians eat fish. It was a strange day...

neighborhood favorite - Edit

My usual: vegetable soup and vegetarian spring rolls split with companion, and the hot and spicy tofu.
Not sharing, the soup and spring rolls make a nice lunch.

Cons: closed on Wednesdays I think

Good Food, Perfectly Prepared - Edit

Went to Indochin for a late lunch and we ordered vegetarian spring rolls as an appetizer. They were okay. There were a few items available as a combination lunch special, but we ordered from the full menu. The entrées we ordered, though, were delicious. We got Hot and Spicy Tofu, which was a pile of perfectly cooked tofu (crispy on the outside) on crisp, perfectly stir fried carrots, broccoli, onions, snow peas, and cabbage. The sauce was spicy and sweet and fantastic. The other dish we got was Kung Pao Mock Duck. The mock duck had a great texture; it wasn't rubbery like mock duck can sometimes be. It was stir fried with carrots, celery, baby corn, carrots, red bell pepper, peanuts, and other veggies in a delicious sauce. Both dishes were served with a bowl of white rice. The portions were substantial. We brought most of the food home in take-out boxes.

Pros: Cooked Well, Friendly Service

Cons: Bland Spring Rolls, Minimal Beer Selection

Great take out! - Edit

There is only one other review for Indochina and it actually for the restaurant that was located in the same place - Huong Sen.

I have only had take out at Indochina a couple of times but both times it was very good. All the veggies were fresh and not at all over cooked. Great sauces. Good prices.

Disappointing, at best - Edit

Huong Sen has a large menu featuring at least a dozen or more vegan dishes, but the quality of the food is terrible. The curried tofu was bland, mucky and overcooked; the black mushrooms with broccoli was greasy, bland and heavy. The food reminded me of two-day old cafeteria buffet items---all mush and awful. Worse yet, the place is expensive at around $9-12 per dish; most Vietnamese restaurants in the area are not only cheaper, but give better food and larger portions. Even their tea had gone stale and was one of those 2-cent varieties you find in the discount bins of Asian stores. While the service was friendly, the atmosphere of the restaurant was dull and dark and they keep the heat low, so I had to wear my jacket while inside there! Huong Sen is not to be recommended, especially when the Twin Cities have so many other great Vietnamese restaurants.

Pros: Location, Service

Cons: Terrible food, Atmosphere, High prices

Return to St Paul Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has IndoChin closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1840 times since Feb 2008.