Indigo Cafe

Contact +856-71212264

Sisavangvong Road, Ban Pakham, Town Center, Luang Prabang, Laos,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Nice place in Pakham Village, frequented by tourists. Offers breakfast, lunch, dinner, fresh juices. Has a separate vegan menu with around 12 dishes (including dessert). Serves a buffet from 8am-2pm on Sundays. Free Wi-Fi.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Western, Buffet, Juice bar, Asian, Laotian, Non-veg

First Review by walkingvegan

good and not to expensive - Edit

We had the salad with coffeesauce (45.000) and the vegan noodle dish (35.000) and both were really good! it's more expensive than in other not touristy places but there you don't get vegan food.. the waiters are nice and we gonna come again!
only thing is that drinks are really expensive but just get yourself a juice after your visit on the other hand side of the street. (btw you can find vegan baguettes there as well for not more than 20.000)

Pros: not to expensive, really tasty

worst restaurant in SE-Asia - Edit

The food was very expensive and there was not a lot to choose from. We ordered the noodle dish and it was disgusting. The plate was floating with oil and the tofu pieces were tiny and looked more like a decoration than actual food. We ended up paying around 100 000 kips for two meals and a bottle of water which is a lot.
The atmosphere is quite awful if you're not into that whole tourist scene. I recommend you eat cup noodles on your guest house floor rather than come here.

Pros: the waiter was nice

Cons: pricey , disgusting food, touristy atmosphere

vegan baguette is a winner! - Edit

Lovely cafe in good location with friendly resident woofer, George. Prone to power cuts however! There are a number of vegan options but the vegan baguette is the stand out winner. Sadly only the predictable 'seasonal fruit' option for desert. Friendly staff.

worst restaurant we've ever been to!!!@ - Edit

Stay away! we ordered vegan salad and they brought us a salad with mayo which is not vegan. we ordered spring rolls which were over fried like it was taste like burned fried oil. they practically served us oils with some veggies soaked in. it was so bad we give 2 dishes back and told them we can't eat it. just stay away it's ridicolous!!

Pros: NON

lovely atmosphere and great food - Edit

Beautiful food, had no issues with ordering and receiving entirely vegan dishes. Free wifi when you buy something and a lovely coffee shop atmosphere with very friendly staff. Try the Indigo fried noodles with tofu instead of egg and you'll be in for a real treat!

Pretty average - Edit

The vegan menu has some nice sounding options, we were a little wary because of past reviews but everything seemed vegan and they even accommodated for me just wanting "spaghetti bolognese, no meat" because my stomach was needing something a bit plain.

My pasta was actually delicious, the first real tomato sauce I've had out here (usually it's glorified ketchup) but the portion was a bit small and they put parmesan on the side of my plate - thankfully not on the pasta- even though I'd checked the sauce has no milk.

My boyfriend ordered the green curry with veg, and the "veg" was essentially a couple slices of mushroom and an entire onion!

We paid $10.50 (they accept card) for the two meals, a coke and a small water.

They don't understand what VEGAN means... Beware. - Edit

My girlfriend and I decided to try this place after we found Vishoun closed. Upon first glance the menu looked really great and especially geared towards Vegans, like us.

We ordered 3 different dishes starting with the Fried Spring Rolls. On the "vegan" menu there are options for eggs so we tried to tell the server that obviously, we don't want any eggs or meat in our dishes. We pointed to the BIG WORD "Vegan" about 5 different times while ordering. He did not seem to speak any English at all.

After a few minutes, our spring rolls arrived. My girlfriend dissected one carefully to make sure that they didn't have any eggs. What appeared to be just cabbage and ginger also had some other gray stuff. She ate the first half and said it tasted fine. There were no eggs.

I was a little wary of the gray and thought while it might be tofu there could also be a mixup. I bit into my own and looked inside. Instantly, I had a horrible feeling sweep inside me as I tasted pork juice in my mouth. I looked inside my roll and found a gristly piece of pork staring back at me.

I flagged the waiter down and asked him what that was. He completely tried to ignore me and walk away. I spit my food out and brought it over to him. He said he didn't know what that was.

Finally, my girlfriend had to run to the bathroom and puke.

I asked to speak to a manager and an angry looking dude with cuts all over his face just said, "I'm sorry, we will replace it for free..."

I tried to tell him that you can not offer a "vegan" menu if you don't know what it means.

It was easily the worst dining experience I have had in my 12 years of being vegetarian. We left the restaurant and I tried to explain the gravity of the situation but they didn't care.

This place advertises and tries to capitalize off of vegan cuisine but literally has no idea what it is. The waiter told me later that he thought they only had one type of spring roll in the restaurant.

HE DIDN"T EVEN KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN VEG SPRING ROLLS AND PORK.

It saddens me that a place like this can thrive. They obviously care nothing for what they sell and don't accept any responsibility for their actions.

Please BOYCOTT this restaurant and stop them from profiting off of people who actually care about our environment.

Pros: none, beware, you can boycott

Cons: Vegan menu contains MEAT, No English, No Accountability

One of the best options in town for vegans - Edit

As others have noted, Indigo has a vegan page in the back of their menu that features a small yet diverse selection of dishes labeled "vegan" that seem to be actually vegan (which is not always the case at some other establishments in town).

This headache-free vegan ordering would be reason enough for us to return to Indigo, but fortunately the food is really good, too, so it's a winner all 'round.

The spring rolls are the best we had in LP, though a bit on the small side.

The curry and salad were very tasty.

The passion fruit shake was divine, and generously sized.

None of their desserts were vegan during our visit (Feb 2015).

Free WiFi.

You order at the table but pay at the counter.

Enjoy!

Pros: Vegan page on the menu, tasty food at reasonable prices

Cons: No vegan desserts

Great little spot in the center of town. - Edit

It was fate: walking in the pouring rain in my first day in Laos and a walk right up to a cafe, only looking for a warm coffee and the words "Vegan Menu" catch my eye and make my heart sing! Wonderful coffee, wonderful prices, and a great (totally separate) vegan menu. Had a great coconut ginger rice dish- can't wait to return!

Some decent options - Edit

Some more expensive options (relatively speaking) than other mixed restaurants but with pretty small portions which may leave you feeling hungry. Service is very Laos, which doesn't bother me, but may frustrate you if you have questions to ask or need it in a reasonable space of time. A seperate vegan menu offering local and thai dishes as well as some more western dishes but rather underspiced/low heat for our tastes. Handy location at the western end of the night market with an excellent couple of coconut pancake stalls almost on the doorstep. 5000Kip for 5 pieces - get the freshly made ones. We preferred Same Same Restaurant/Guesthouse which we will try to do a review of. It is located a short walk away at the veg & fruit market to the north. The lady speaks excellent english and will adapt a meal to your tastes/requirements.

Pros: Tasty enough, Good location, More options than most places

Cons: Above average price & smaller portions, Slow if pleasant service

Good food - but not very easy for vegans! - Edit

I've been there four times and had fried spring rolls, very good but small portion for 25000 kip. 2 other dishes on the pictures. The Jaew King (25000) has a very interesting "sauce" but it's almost boring, with the raw vegetables.
The Laab Mak Keua (35000 kip) is yummy!!
Other day I tried the Fried tofu with tomato is awesome, for 30000kip.

Not very friendly staff and they don't speak much english (just the very basic, but not enough for vegan questions)

Anyway, I was so excited to check the "Vegan Buffet" that they say they have on Sundays for 39000 kip (there are a sign on their door saying that). I've been there today and got very disappointed! Lots of egg, cheese and food that could not be vegan as well, such as pasta, breads and cakes. I tried to ask the staff and they didn't understand me, saying "It's all vegan". But it was clearly fried egg and cheese. I found a menu that described the buffet and confirmed that they use lots of non vegan things there every "vegan sunday". So... they don't know what vegan means!!
Anyway, I ate there because I didn't have any other option in a rainy day. They had some fruits, spring rolls and salad clearly vegan. Everything good, frustrating though.

Updated from previous review on Friday July 25, 2014

Pros: vegan menu

Cons: service, slow wifi, expensive

Return to Luang Prabang Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Indigo Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.