Contact 443-449-6483

801 N Charles St, Baltimore, Maryland, USA, 21201

Serves meat, vegan options available. More upscale, modern Indian restaurant with interesting takes on traditional food. Lunch is buffet style, evening meal a la carte. Labels which items are vegan without ghee and gluten. Live sitar music on Fridays. Reservations suggested on weekend nights. Prices from moderate to slightly expensive. Open Tue-Fri 11:30am-2:30pm, Tue-Thu 5:00pm-9:30pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:30pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-10:30pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-3:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by shanbogen

Best Indian Vegan Buffet Around! - Edit

My friends and I visited four Indian buffets within a one block radius (all of which appeared less then average until we found Indigma). This restaurant smells amazing and is painted in bright colours.

Indigma does a daily lunch buffet and it was pretty incredible. Plenty of vegan and gluten free options. More then half the buffet is veg.

Everything we ate was delic. They even offered salad, chai and desserts(not vegan tho).

Taste wise this place gets 4 stars but they lose a star for the non veg items.

Pros: Buffet with lots of vegan/gf options

Cons: They seat you and the host is incredible slow., Not 100% veg

Best Indian buffet for vegans in Baltimore - Edit

Okay, so I avoided this place for a long time even knowing that they advertised as vegan-friendly (unusual for an Indian restaurant). The name put me off, and I got the impression it was kind of upscale. But one day my girlfriend and I decided to try the weekend buffet, figuring it would be more laid-back. Well, we were instant converts. This is a large buffet and everything that is vegan or vegetarian is labeled as such. I have been to most of the Indian buffets in the area and you cannot get this variety of vegan food at any other buffet. At most you are limited to one or two entrees. Here you can often find at least 3 times that many. And it's never the same tired old choices, either. They really make an effort to keep the buffet diverse and interesting from week to week.

There is also a separate raw salad and steamed vegetable bar that is always very fresh with seasonal vegetables. I have never seen spring mix on any other Indian buffet. "Salad" usually translates to iceberg lettuce with some tomato chunks and carrot discs. Not so here.

My one quibble is that the desserts are never marked as vegan or not. However, you can find out if you track down the right staff person. If you like sweets, this is worth doing because sometimes they are vegan!

The buffet is on the high end price-wise for the Baltimore area but it is worth it to have so many vegan options and a generally higher quality of food than found on other area buffets. If you want to go for dinner, you will probably pay more ordering from the menu, although the servings are more than sufficient. I recommend going on Tuesday night which is their half-price Thaali special. You get a choice of 8 items, which includes unlimited bread and a dessert (vegan mango ice cream, anyone?). Be sure to explain to the server that you are vegan, though, as not all the choices are vegan (including the bread! Another reviewer mentioned asking for unbuttered naan, but I'd like to point out that in general you should always assume that naan is NOT vegan, unless labeled as such. It is traditionally made with milk and/or yogurt. The naan at Indigma is *not* vegan, but they can bring you roti instead).

Anyway, I'm really glad I gave this place a chance because even though I do think it's a fancier place than I usually frequent, the quality of the buffet definitely makes it worthwhile. And when I was there for dinner on my birthday the owner (or manager?) gave me a gift card toward a future meal! How nice.

Pros: amazing food, very vegan friendly

Cons: formal atmosphere if that bothers you, service on buffet days can be spotty

I expected more. - Edit

Well, as a huge fan of indian food Ihad great expectations about this place, but the take out I ordered was kind of messy and with the spicies kind of messed up. Try to eatin the restaurant to have a better experience.

Pros: nice staff

Cons: messed up take-out, weird spices

Creative and tasty Indian food - Edit

First of all, I'll point out that Indigma has a separate vegan/gluten-free (don't ask why they're lumped together in one category, but they are) part of the menu. There is also an 'Earth' section which is vegetarian (has cheese & butter in most dishes though). Many of the appetizers are also vegan and your server will be happy to help you with any questions. I have always gotten great service here, very friendly and welcoming.

I'd recommend the Gobi Manchurian (spicy cauliflower), Avocado Pakoras (deep fried battered avocado) for appetizers. Anything off of the vegan menu is good for an entree. I think they can also bring you non-buttered naan but I'm not positive.

All in all everything here is delicious. Once in a while the fried dishes I order aren't as crisp as I'd like, maybe because they are just heating up the fryer for the first time that day. Pretty good cocktails. Everything is well seasoned. Expect dishes from a range of regions in India, not just the typical stuff you see on Indian menus.

Pros: Separate veg menus, Great service, Unique and delicious food

Cons: Food quality occasionally falls, Could have a bigger vegan selection.

Return to Baltimore Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Indigma closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1412 times since Feb 2014.