Indian Kitchen

Contact 03-62652420

18 Cole St, Sorell, Tasmania, 7172 TAS

Serves meat, vegan options available. Indian food menu, while meat-heavy, also includes a vegetables section, and those items that include dairy are easy to spot. The manager will tell you which dishes are vegan suitable and which can be prepared as vegan. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by donnzpg

Vegan Options Outside of Hobart!!! - Edit

My comments pertain only to the Sorell location of Indian Kitchen. I have eaten there four times for dinner thus far and the food has been consistently top-notch. Our first visit, we picked up the take-away menu and tried deciphering which items were vegan. Fortunately, Isha (the owner), was there and helped direct us to those items we could choose from. There are several different menu items on the take-away menu that are not on the dine-in menu, and vice versa, so you may want to pore over both. I highly recommend that you confirm with Ishi that each of your choices are vegan as she knows exactly which items have traces of butter, milk or yoghurt that may not be reflected in the menu descriptions. During our last visit, Isha was busy in the kitchen and we ordered the Aloo Dum, which the waitress said was vegan. When Isha brought this course out, she recognized us and said it contained dairy, took it back readily and corrected the waitress.

I can heartily recommend any of these main course items that we have tried and confirmed are 100% vegan: Chick Pea (or Cauliflower) Masala, Aloo Palak (Spinach), "Yummy" Dal (lentil), and Bhindi Masala (okra). The spice level of these dishes I would put at a bit above medium… those who are not accustomed to spicy foods should request they be made milder, but I found them all just perfect.

Of note is that our most recent visit was on a Saturday night when a large group had just left and another group of six had just arrived. Our wait for our food to arrive was exceedingly long, though Ishi was apologetic and we just went with the flow since it was clear they were overwhelmed yet doing their best. The majority of their business is take-away orders from the buffet items which I have not sampled… I tend to avoid anything that's been sitting out for an unknown length of time, but lots of regular customers seemingly enjoy grabbing buffet fare here. Isha mentioned that she typically takes Sundays off so I can't guarantee you'd be directed exclusively to vegan dishes (other than the above items) by other wait staff.
Updated from previous review on Sunday July 07, 2013

Pros: Authentic Indian flavours, Friendly staff

Cons: Can get really busy weekends

Return to Sorell Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Indian Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.