First Review by samneko

Vegetarian's Heaven - Edit

Thumbs up for India Sweets and Spices on Los Feliz (there are several different locations, apparently owned or managed differently). I'm a strict vegan and they are able to accomodate my diet. They have substantial dairy but otherwise they are 100% vegetarian. They are a counter-service eatery...no table service...you order at the counter after you study the various food options of the day that are pre-made through a display case window. ASK if they have dairy in their foods...some do, some don't and make sure you identify Ghee (clarified butter) in your objection. When I order their Masala Dosa (my favorite dish there), I specifically ask that they use oil and not ghee. The owner is such an incredibly friendly fellow, that he is part of the joy of eating there. He is always happy and greets me every visit. The atmosphere is a bit barren and cold, but I love the Bollywood videos that they have playing on a tv there. There is a large indian foods market attached...this is where I buy my Vicco toothpaste (the only toothpaste that I've found that doesn't contain glycerin, which blocks the beneficial recalcification of tooth enamel from our saliva), my indian spices, and all types of unique rices and amazing food ingredients that I still don't know how to cook with.

Pros: delicious, super friendly owner, Reasonable Prices

Cons: counter-service, barren atmosphere, have dairy

Quick tasty meal - Edit

We stopped in last Saturday for a late lunch and the place was still hopping. The place is cafeteria style with basic tables and plastic utensils, but it hit the spot for a quick lunch. We ordered lunch plates and they pointed out the items with dairy to avoid which was only the kofta this time. We got one plate with dal and squash and another one with cauliflower and choley. They both came with a samosa, rice, chapati and soda. We ordered an extra fried stuffed pepper as well. It was all good and tasty. The staff were really friendly. We wanted to check out the store too, but will have to do that the next time we come back.

Pros: quick, lots of vegan items, nice staff

Cons: plain basic setting

Fast Food Indian - Edit

First time here in my visit to LA. Cafeteria style dining. If you are in a hurry for a somewhat big meal or want a quick bite of Indian food this place can do. Buy your combo plate and then pick from a few options. The dip it up and hand you the plate. The potato curry was nice, I also had the sambar which was good too but they didn't give me any idli. I thought they went together :). The rice as a little cold maybe that is Indian style not sure. The veggie samosa was nice. the masala dosa was huge! Don't expect much from dining area, fast food style with an open area with a group of tables. The Indian videos playing help set the mood.

Pros: Fast service, India videos playing, Indian store attached/eat then go shop

Cons: Tight parking lot, Ambiance

real indian food - Edit

The place reminds me of India - the food is spicy and there is always music on (oh well, not live music). It is not a vegan restaurant but they seem to understand the idea and always have vegan options. Of course, there is a possibility of cross-contamination, but the food is good, the service is fast.

Pros: good food, cheap, fast

Cons: for some people food can be too spicy, they use styrofoam

Great bargin! - Edit

The food here is straight forward South Indian cuisine and is incredible. Inexpensive combo specials are available daily. I think its the only restaurant in the area where you can choose from several different dosas. Ignore the styrofoam plates, plastic utensils, and sometimes lacking service,and enjoy the taste of the food.

Pros: Delicious food, South Indian cuisine, cheap

Cons: mediocre service, plastic and styrofoam, lack of ambiance

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has India Sweets and Spices closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1453 times since Aug 2007.